Noise from neighbors lanai

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopy54 View Post
I would not care if they know it is me. Who else would complain other then the people who lives behind them? I respect my neighbors. But, if they have no respect then lookout!!!
It all depends if you want to live in peace or in chaos and always feel uncomfortable. I say take your time, be kind and nice, get to know them and sooner or later the subject will come up and then it can be resolved. A confrontation is not the way.. nor is calling the authorities.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

This is a good reason why we still rent.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Back to the original question....as you may have noticed noise can be just as big a problem in houses as in Villas. We are ALL very close. There is a noise ordinance for after 10:00 but up until that time you may have to rely on talking to them. It is quite possible they may not realize they are disturbing you. We live in a villa and rarely have a problem.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage
Default Worth a try

I say invite some friends over to your house and have a hootin' good time! Be loud, purposefully, so they can hear you. Then, they might get the drift that their late night noise carries and disturbed you. Or, when you see them outside, make it a point to chat with them and then start yawning. Let them know you are very tired and that noise travels!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps an air horn at 3 AM would get your point across..... Better yet, get all offended neighbors to give them a simultaneous blast!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
No it's to the right of us and yes behind us. Only one. They sit up higher which makes it worse for us as noise carries. They live here full time and we always believe in inviting the neighbors over too as to keep all happy however they are a bunch of gay women. No we have No problem with that as long as your considerate we don't care. I imagine we need to speak to them first out of courtesy but honestly my gut tells me they won't care at all. Any advice, appreciated??
Read this again.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 AM

I feel your pain or rather I felt your pain. I actually think we're likely in the same neighborhood. We had a combination of the night noise as well as ongoing day noise from different things...loud tv, and phone conversations, etc. We were unable to enjoy any peaceful time anymore on the lanai and agonized over what to do. As it was a renter, I decided to call the landlord. The matter was immediately resolved but in hindsight I wish I had just talked to our neighbor. They were upset that we didn't just come directly to them. I think because we are very quiet people perhaps they didn't realize just how much sound travels and how loud they were because maybe they didn't hear us. As I stated, problem solved but my recommendation is to just go knock on their door with maybe a bottle of wine or a potted plant and tell them what the situation is. It just may solve the problem and keep things civil. If it doesn't then weigh your options. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
No it's to the right of us and yes behind us. Only one. They sit up higher which makes it worse for us as noise carries. They live here full time and we always believe in inviting the neighbors over too as to keep all happy however they are a bunch of gay women. No we have No problem with that as long as your considerate we don't care. I imagine we need to speak to them first out of courtesy but honestly my gut tells me they won't care at all. Any advice, appreciated??
You answered your question......why not take this first step??
Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It all depends if you want to live in peace or in chaos and always feel uncomfortable. I say take your time, be kind and nice, get to know them and sooner or later the subject will come up and then it can be resolved. A confrontation is not the way.. nor is calling the authorities.

How often do they make noise until 11 PM - I assume it's not a nightly occurrence?
And the rest of the time, you get to enjoy the serenity of your nature preserve?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:49 AM

Just wanted to point out that the ordinance states noise should be lowered from 10pm to one hour before dawn... so if the sun rises at 6:30am, just get up at 5:30am and go do some yard work with the old weed-wacker.

I'm being somewhat sarcastic however considering if your district allows it, nothing says they have to have a good nights sleep if you don't. You may understand your other neighbors however they may want to join in to prove a point.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Gold member

Maybe they don't realize that the sound carries that far. I lived in the country and moved to a villa. When the weather was nice, I would open the sliding doors. I had my tv on in the villa and I guess I have it turned up a little too loud. One of my neighbors mentioned "someone's" tv. I knew then that I couldn't be playing my tv or music with my doors open. So maybe just a hint is all that it will take and no police action will be required.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
So maybe just a hint is all that it will take and no police action will be required.
Yes, a good idea.
Is it possible you could approach your neighbors with a casual question about community stuff or pools or garbage or mail?
And then drop a tactful comment about being surprised that sound carries so much at night.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to chalpm

We had a similar problem when we bought our home. We purchased sliders for our lanai and it helped a great deal...only problem is that on nice evenings the lanai is closed up and that prevents us from enjoying cool evening air. Funny thing..after we bought our sliders same neighbor decided they liked ours and bought some for their lanai as well..that worked out pretty good! Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Eternal Member

Amazing that so many of the replies talk about retaliation in some form such as a 3 am blast of an air horn or a very loud party or calling the police.

Come on, folks. We all worked at careers for many, many years. We got along with co-workers, we got along with neighbors, we raised our children to be good citizens.

Get to know your neighbors and be pleasant to them and you very well will probably find your neighbors will be pleasant and will tone down their late night noise.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

I add my vote to inviting them over for coffee rather than calling police. This serves you well on many levels. First, you get to know your neighbor. Second, you may find they are oblivious to the noise they are making and will cut it back immediately. Third, it is possible you learn they really don’t care what you think. Fourth, if “third” is the case, you will not feel bad calling the police.

Always try honey before vinegar.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbors, nature, lanai, mentioned, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.