Pergola

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Default Pergola

I would like to have a Pergola built over my small concrete slab in our backyard. I don't want to spend too much on this. Has anyone had this done and by whom? Thank you.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Two items, first confirm with ARC that you can install the pergola, I would hate to see you have it installed and then find out it was not allowed.

Second, our neighbors had one installed by Next Dimension Landscaping, but it was part of a much larger landscaping project. Also, my neighbor wanted the pergola stained, which he decided to do himself. You could try calling Next Dimension and see if they are interested. They did a very nice job next door.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

By the way every contractor out there thinks the old folks that live here are very wealthy. So good luck with reasonable cost.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Sage

One additional item, get the ARC approval yourself, no cost, I relied on a contractor to do this once, and got burned.....with regard to permits, the contractors MUST get these, you can double check that all permits have been pulled, but you should NEVER pull the permits yourself, unless you are doing the work.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Here is one I built before I stained the concrete and built the roofed over screen room. I do not know what your budget is, but I built this myself for if I remember correctly just around $1000. I did this around 3 years ago.
Of course, you should get HOA approval and permits, etc.....of course, a good contractor doing this would add to the cost for labor. This took me two days to design and build. It is Vinyl. I bought the kit from Costco. They delivered it right to my home and I did not even have to go to the store. I think the company was New England Arbors. I adapted a 12 x 12 kit.

The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
Old 08-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Sage

Nice job Frank, I did not realize they had kits. Now you have me thinking about one of these.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

[QUOTE=DangeloInspections;1279329]Here is one I built before I stained the concrete and built the roofed over screen room. I do not know what your budget is, but I built this myself for if I remember correctly just around $1000. I did this around 3 years ago.
Of course, you should get HOA approval and permits, etc.....of course, a good contractor doing this would add to the cost for labor. This took me two days to design and build. It is Vinyl. I bought the kit from Costco. They delivered it right to my home and I did not even have to go to the store. I think the company was New England Arbors. I adapted a 12 x 12 kit.

QUOTE]

This statement is misleading to someone not familiar with The Villages............we do not have a Home Owners Association that grants approvals.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Sorry Bogie,

I'm sure folks know what I meant. I suppose I should have stated ARC approval.

I submitted and got ARC approval and the Pergola project was included with my patio/Screenroom/Pergola project. It was an easy process but as everyone SHOULD know, when you live in a 55+ community with HOA's and ARC's you cannot just do whatever you want...you need to submit plans and get permits, etc.

When we buy a home we all sign documents saying we agree to that. Being adults, it should go without saying that the process is fully understood.

Getting a bit off subject, it is always a good idea to read fully and understand the rules of any community. I recently was looking to buy a home for my son down here....it was a very nice small upscale neighborhood within a mile of The Villages....not 55+ since he is young and has kids. We did not buy the home because the fine print in the HOA agreement stated that ANY work done on the home, inside or out HAD to be done by the original homebuilder. Crazy. I did not buy that home for that reason.

Frank

Tags
pergola, spend, backyard, built, small

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.