Property Owners' Association

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Default Property Owners' Association

Just found this organization's newsletter in my driveway yesterday and had never heard of it. Opinions- Pros and Cons of joining?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Platinum member

The worthiness of the POA has been discussed, debated, and well established be consensus here on TOTV. Search "POA" and you will see the opinions you're looking for.

George
Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Smile Poa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
Just found this organization's newsletter in my driveway yesterday and had never heard of it. Opinions- Pros and Cons of joining?
The Property Owners Association is the ONLY unbiased, truthful, and honest owners association we have to representate the Villages residents. The PPOA has taken on many issues that resulted in a favorablly for the residents. I am not absolutely sure, but would guess the VHA has never taken a position that was in opposition to the wishes of the developer, while the POA has fought for us and won many. Compare the bulletins each association leaves in our driveways and I am sure you will agree with my comments.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think we need an organization separate from the VHA which is really an extension of the developers but I am not a fan of the POA.

In my opinion they seem simply anti-developer in too many issues. They have helped on many situations but I am not convinced that the lawsuit that they brought against the developer was warranted. I feel that all of the things they wanted accomplished would have been accomplished and I am pretty sure that a couple of POA members won quite a bit of money personally. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So many times their newsletter reads like a rant against the developer.

I wish they would hold an election and get someone new in to be the leaders or at least to write the newsletter.

As far as I can remember there have only been two presidents, and I think it is a needed organization but the anti CDD feeling I get isn't making me a fan.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Accusing poa leaders of benefiting financially without any basis of proof is very unfair. With all the things they have done and the millions of dollars they have saved village residents, they are the true spokesperson for the village resedents. I am not anti-developer but he has done some things most people scratch their heads over. The hoa is nothing but a developer newsletter.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
Accusing poa leaders of benefiting financially without any basis of proof is very unfair. With all the things they have done and the millions of dollars they have saved village residents, they are the true spokesperson for the village resedents. I am not anti-developer but he has done some things most people scratch their heads over. The hoa is nothing but a developer newsletter.
Doesn't this say that? Or am I reading incorrectly?

Villages developer to pay $40 million for recreation upgrades to settle a lawsuit - Orlando Sentinel
Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Each plaintiff got $50,000 and the brother-sister legal team, got $6.7M. $40M over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation facilities.

Last edited by TVMayor; 11-01-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I guess the judge felt all the time they spent on this was worth something. What about the $40 million that won't come out of our ammenities to repair older facilities. I haven't heard your opinion on that
Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
I guess the judge felt all the time they spent on this was worth something. What about the $40 million that won't come out of our ammenities to repair older facilities. I haven't heard your opinion on that
Well I see a lot of stuff being done and being maintained south of 466 and no one needs to hold the Morses feet to the fire.

The Eisenhower center could have had "nice" furniture and "nice" accessories, but instead, look what we got without suing.

When we lived right behind the Odell Center, everything on the grounds was painted once a year and the retaining wall was power washed and the plants were trimmed and the beds were weeded. The CDD south of 466 takes very good care of things. I haven't seen any of their stuff moldy. I like the way things are run where I live.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 AM

I hate the "us" against "them" mentality of that paper. I used to read it, but now I just throw it away without bothering. I don't have time for that kind of negativity. Besides a lot of what is in there just comes from these boards anyway. I can learn both sides of any issue right here!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Each defendant got $50,000 and the brother-sister legal team, got $6.7M. $40M over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation facilities.
The defendants got nothing but a bill for $40 Mil.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I agree. Without the lawsuit, there was no money set aside to maintain the aging facilities and infrastructure. The Developer had many opportunities to do the right thing, but it took the lawsuit to make it happen. Anyways, back to the original question about the POA - it is separate from the Developer, dedicated to looking after the best interests of the property owners. It is a good thing - they've done a lot for the community. Here is a link that shows some of their accomplishments: History of the POA
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
The defendants got nothing but a bill for $40 Mil.
Plaintiffs, that's the word.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudda1955 View Post
I hate the "us" against "them" mentality of that paper. I used to read it, but now I just throw it away without bothering. I don't have time for that kind of negativity. Besides a lot of what is in there just comes from these boards anyway. I can learn both sides of any issue right here!
100% of the members and officers of the POA are homeowners in TV. How would you breakdown "us" and "them"?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
100% of the members and officers of the POA are homeowners in TV. How would you breakdown "us" and "them"?
I assumed that the "us" was POA and the "them" was Developer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.