Question re: CC&R's and attitudes....mostly a vent!

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Sage
Default Question re: CC&R's and attitudes....mostly a vent!

When we bought our homes here in TV, we were informed that the community had deed restrictions, CC&R's in other words. We were to have read them and sign off that we had done so. Having lived in a development for 30 years with CC&R's, I didn't find this to be very troublesome. It was easy to read the restrictions and honestly, they weren't much different from ones we had lived with prior to moving to this wonderful part of Florida.
While living in that community in CA, I was involved with the homeowners association and some of those duties included helping homeowners who were subjected to things that were forbidden by the CC&R's because some in the development felt that the rules weren't applicable to them. One infraction caused a breakup of friendships and the eventual move of a family. Sadly I was a part of the enforcement section of that deed restriction and the stress of the entire situation almost made me move away...but the HOA was correct in enforcing their rules...the city also had the restriction as part of the land deed. No one wanted a very tall CB antenna in the neighborhood and neither did the city. Heck we absolutely could not have outdoor antennas and this family wanted everyone to ignore the rules because, heck, they were nice people. Yes, they were....until they wanted all to ignore this little rule for them. It went over like a brick balloon.

My point is and it did take me a while to get to it, didn't it.... we have some in TV who feel that some of the rules are insignificant and infractions of those rules are not earth shaking....true, but when one acknowledges that they have read the rules and by purchasing their lot, acknowledges that they will live by them, why do they suddenly decide not to? Is it because they have come from an area where they had no such thing? Guess I'm very sensitive about this, having had to deal with many irate neighbors, take some to small claims court, etc, in order to keep our community as nice as when we first moved in....and we were the second family to move into the development.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but maybe only one foot. The other one is still up there....just incase I feel the need to sound off again. The rules here aren't difficult to live with. Okay, other foot is now firmly planted on the ground.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
When we bought our homes here in TV, we were informed that the community had deed restrictions, CC&R's in other words. We were to have read them and sign off that we had done so. Having lived in a development for 30 years with CC&R's, I didn't find this to be very troublesome. It was easy to read the restrictions and honestly, they weren't much different from ones we had lived with prior to moving to this wonderful part of Florida.
While living in that community in CA, I was involved with the homeowners association and some of those duties included helping homeowners who were subjected to things that were forbidden by the CC&R's because some in the development felt that the rules weren't applicable to them. One infraction caused a breakup of friendships and the eventual move of a family. Sadly I was a part of the enforcement section of that deed restriction and the stress of the entire situation almost made me move away...but the HOA was correct in enforcing their rules...the city also had the restriction as part of the land deed. No one wanted a very tall CB antenna in the neighborhood and neither did the city. Heck we absolutely could not have outdoor antennas and this family wanted everyone to ignore the rules because, heck, they were nice people. Yes, they were....until they wanted all to ignore this little rule for them. It went over like a brick balloon.

My point is and it did take me a while to get to it, didn't it.... we have some in TV who feel that some of the rules are insignificant and infractions of those rules are not earth shaking....true, but when one acknowledges that they have read the rules and by purchasing their lot, acknowledges that they will live by them, why do they suddenly decide not to? Is it because they have come from an area where they had no such thing? Guess I'm very sensitive about this, having had to deal with many irate neighbors, take some to small claims court, etc, in order to keep our community as nice as when we first moved in....and we were the second family to move into the development.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but maybe only one foot. The other one is still up there....just incase I feel the need to sound off again. The rules here aren't difficult to live with. Okay, other foot is now firmly planted on the ground.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Gold member

I agree 100%!! There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in an area that doesn't have restrictions, but, if that's the way you feel then don't buy in an area that does. One of the problems is that, if a situation is allowed to go on because the people are "nice"..it sets a precedent and therefore the rule is no longer allowed to be enforced. I want to live in an area that has structure..that's one of the great things about TV.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Well said, Pooh.

You forgot to add the icon:

I think some just like to stir up trouble. If little children moved in next door to them or someone put Snow White and all her 7 Dwarfs on display on their next door front lawn, they would probably be the first to make that phone call.

Thanks for venting!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Couldn't agree more. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. One person thinks they have a "beautiful garden statue" and all the rest of us see a tacky lawn ornament. For those of you who are reading this and thinking "not my stuff" Yes, I really am talking about your gazing globes, statues of the Virgin Mary, and all those little squirrels and garden gnomes....
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage

And I always dreamed of putting out a hot pink flamingo!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Default Okay, I have to say this !!!!

Call the enforcer of the rules. They might not know or look the other way until someone complains .....

Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I thought the plastic pink flamingo was the Florida state bird. Why would you ban that?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Default It needs to be "faded pink" to be the state bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
I thought the plastic pink flamingo was the Florida state bird. Why would you ban that?
It needs to be "faded pink" to be the state bird.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post

Pink flamingo yard ornament(s) means retired in Florida!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrod View Post
It needs to be "faded pink" to be the state bird.
My apology. Ornithology is not my forte.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Sage

They can be dressed as Christmas yard decorations you know.... The Villages Florida.....
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
They can be dressed as Christmas yard decorations you know.... The Villages Florida.....
I like them! Can you get the set at Walmart or do they sell them seperately?

BTY I do agree with you rant. Any time you want to put both feet back up on the soap box, feel free.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage

Amazon....and Christmas might be the one time you can put the little buggers out and not be in violation. Heck I've seen some beautiful lighted ones as part of Christmas displays and they are absolutely adorable! For the life of me, I can't find them anywhere! Probably should have started looking in July!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Amazon....and Christmas might be the one time you can put the little buggers out and not be in violation. Heck I've seen some beautiful lighted ones as part of Christmas displays and they are absolutely adorable! For the life of me, I can't find them anywhere! Probably should have started looking in July!
Ahh. Nothing says Christmas like a lighted flamingo or an inflatable Santa on a Harley.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.