Questions from soon to be resident

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Default Questions from soon to be resident

Is TV dog friendly? i.e. are there any restaurants that let you sit with a well behaved dog ala Carmel CA?
What does it cost in that area to get your dog washed? Groomed?
How fast is the hi speed access?
Thank you
R
Old 07-29-2015, 08:26 PM

We have had our dog with us when we stopped for lunch and i would say I know of 3 out of about 90 resturants where you can sit on the patio with your pet. It is not very many. We spent about $90.00 for shampo and a shave for a large dog about 3 hours of work. The hi speed internet has done everything we needed as far as streaming movies and work related items on the computer. I have seen a few faster and a lot slower connections in my travels. I hope the answers are helpful.

Village of Duval
Old 07-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Sage

Have you been here?
If so, what did you think?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks new peep. Too bad they are not more friendly. I'll have to keep my vicious attack Labradoodle home I guess. $90 for a cut. Jeez that is double Newport Beach CA!! I thought cost of living was lower in FL.
Tom, I'm planning to visit in a few months. Should I stay in a hotel or do the Villages Stay deal?
Cheers
Rick
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks new peep. Too bad they are not more friendly. I'll have to keep my vicious attack Labradoodle home I guess. $90 for a cut. Jeez that is double Newport Beach CA!! I thought cost of living was lower in FL.
Tom, I'm planning to visit in a few months. Should I stay in a hotel or do the Villages Stay deal?
Cheers
Rick
Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,291 Posts

The Village have "life style visit" arrangement that I would strongly suggest. We did this for a week, were so impressed we tried to buy during our stay. We did eventually buy and are going on 2 years as frogs.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

We stopped through two years ago on the recommendation of friends who had former neighbors who'd moved to The Villages. Since we were in the early stages of looking, we stayed at a hotel. There is a hotel very close to one of the town centers (Lake Sumter) that is very nice but even with a discount arranged as potential buyers, we thought the prices were a little high. While there, we took the bus tour of The Villages that starts at the sales office at Lake Sumter. I highly recommend this as it was fun and surprisingly informative. And it's too easy to get lost in the 36+ square miles of The Villages.

We stopped through last year to look a little more thoroughly and stayed a few days. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which provided a pretty nice room for much more reasonable rates. It's also located right next to the Spanish Springs town center. It was kind of a long drive to the southern parts of The Villages, but not too bad. We found The Villages just as nice as we had the first time and didn't get lost nearly so much. We also toured a couple of other retirement communities in the area.

This spring we buckled down, did a lot of research into the many, many retirement communities in Florida. We narrowed it down to north central Florida and narrowed it down further to about 8 communities we wanted to see in person. We kind of hoped to find a smaller alternative (The Villages can be a bit overwhelming) and perhaps a little cheaper (nobody claims The Villages is cheap). We came down and visited all of them, including another stop at The Villages (where we managed to get around without ever getting lost, first!). If we had never seen The Villages, we would probably have really liked most of the other communities. However, the sheer scale and diversity of activities of The Villages just blew them all away. We "kind of" liked a couple others, but they just fell short.

We also fell in love with a house we'd seen while at The Villages (and we had taken time to look at several). We really planned on coming back in the fall and staying for a week, using the lifestyle plan. However, on the drive back home to North Carolina, we decided we didn't want to lose the house we'd fallen for and ended up contacting the realtor and starting the ball rolling on buying it. We're now owners in absentia of a home we hope to retire to in a couple of years. We hope to be frogs (here until we croak) soon!

I would suggest you research the various retirement communities, then come to the area and tour several. Most of the larger communities have a lifestyle option lasting from a couple of nights to a week, so if you boil it down to a couple of finalists, you can try them out on perhaps a subsequent visit. You may find The Villages to be too much of a good thing (and there are those who do) or you may find it's just about the most exciting, enticing place to retire ever (and there are about 100,000 people who do, including us). Either way you go, it's a big move and worth investigating thoroughly before deciding.

By the way, there are a few books about The Villages that are worth reading that give what seems to be more honest, unbiased opinions about the good, bad and ugly of The Villages. Look around for them, they are worth reading. This forum is also a great resource and I've asked any number of questions here before we bought and had them answered by real people who live here, not just salespeople. People on this forum seem to be incredibly generous in sharing their experiences and opinions. It's an excellent resource.

Oh, and if you want to know the "real" history behind The Villages, you have to take the short, inexpensive boat ride around Lake Sumter. If nothing else you'll learn that the founders of the community have a weird sense of humor!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,326 Posts

We rented three times before we finally bought. Wanted to decide if we bought where we wanted to live. We took our time bought the house we could afford first. Then we could afford a bigger house with a two car garage bought that. Then found the house of our dreams with a 2 1/2 car garage in a golf cart garage. Take your time there are lots of places to live and enjoy your stay while you're here. I would look into renting from a private owner you get more bang for your buck.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
We stopped through two years ago on the recommendation of friends who had former neighbors who'd moved to The Villages. Since we were in the early stages of looking, we stayed at a hotel. There is a hotel very close to one of the town centers (Lake Sumter) that is very nice but even with a discount arranged as potential buyers, we thought the prices were a little high. While there, we took the bus tour of The Villages that starts at the sales office at Lake Sumter. I highly recommend this as it was fun and surprisingly informative. And it's too easy to get lost in the 36+ square miles of The Villages.

We stopped through last year to look a little more thoroughly and stayed a few days. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which provided a pretty nice room for much more reasonable rates. It's also located right next to the Spanish Springs town center. It was kind of a long drive to the southern parts of The Villages, but not too bad. We found The Villages just as nice as we had the first time and didn't get lost nearly so much. We also toured a couple of other retirement communities in the area.

This spring we buckled down, did a lot of research into the many, many retirement communities in Florida. We narrowed it down to north central Florida and narrowed it down further to about 8 communities we wanted to see in person. We kind of hoped to find a smaller alternative (The Villages can be a bit overwhelming) and perhaps a little cheaper (nobody claims The Villages is cheap). We came down and visited all of them, including another stop at The Villages (where we managed to get around without ever getting lost, first!). If we had never seen The Villages, we would probably have really liked most of the other communities. However, the sheer scale and diversity of activities of The Villages just blew them all away. We "kind of" liked a couple others, but they just fell short.

We also fell in love with a house we'd seen while at The Villages (and we had taken time to look at several). We really planned on coming back in the fall and staying for a week, using the lifestyle plan. However, on the drive back home to North Carolina, we decided we didn't want to lose the house we'd fallen for and ended up contacting the realtor and starting the ball rolling on buying it. We're now owners in absentia of a home we hope to retire to in a couple of years. We hope to be frogs (here until we croak) soon!

I would suggest you research the various retirement communities, then come to the area and tour several. Most of the larger communities have a lifestyle option lasting from a couple of nights to a week, so if you boil it down to a couple of finalists, you can try them out on perhaps a subsequent visit. You may find The Villages to be too much of a good thing (and there are those who do) or you may find it's just about the most exciting, enticing place to retire ever (and there are about 100,000 people who do, including us). Either way you go, it's a big move and worth investigating thoroughly before deciding.

By the way, there are a few books about The Villages that are worth reading that give what seems to be more honest, unbiased opinions about the good, bad and ugly of The Villages. Look around for them, they are worth reading. This forum is also a great resource and I've asked any number of questions here before we bought and had them answered by real people who live here, not just salespeople. People on this forum seem to be incredibly generous in sharing their experiences and opinions. It's an excellent resource.

Oh, and if you want to know the "real" history behind The Villages, you have to take the short, inexpensive boat ride around Lake Sumter. If nothing else you'll learn that the founders of the community have a weird sense of humor!
...and you are the perfect example of people that seem incredibly generous in sharing. Thank you for this brilliant and most helpful and practical posting!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM

Thank you for the above postings. Most helpful!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by new peeps View Post
We have had our dog with us when we stopped for lunch and i would say I know of 3 out of about 90 resturants where you can sit on the patio with your pet. It is not very many. We spent about $90.00 for shampo and a shave for a large dog about 3 hours of work. The hi speed internet has done everything we needed as far as streaming movies and work related items on the computer. I have seen a few faster and a lot slower connections in my travels. I hope the answers are helpful.
Excellent response to the OP.

TV is very dog friendly except for restaurants but there are many factors that go into the cost of living here. One instance would be taxes. I'll just say I pay, one quarter of what I paid in CT, for more house.

Some people feel that some food items, are more expensive. Overall, I think the standard of living is cheaper when coming from states, like NY, NJ, CT, CA.

One can find deals, when being diligent in their research.

BTW - TV offers a lifestyle, second to none. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
I thought cost of living was lower in FL.
Cheers
Rick
My oldest son lives in Palo Alto. A million dollars doesn't buy much of a house there compared to here.
I wouldn't stay in a hotel. Do the Village Stay deal. It's not like time share. The sales team is not the least bit pushy.
How long will you be down?
It can be overwhelming so I would stay as long as possible but not necessarily do the Village Stay deal for the entire visit.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, area, cost, speed, access, groomed, fast, washed, friendly, i.e, resident, questions, behaved, ala, restaurants, sit, carmel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.