Remembering names and faces

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewk View Post
Usually when someone gives me a card, the backside is bare, so I always write on it, where exactly it was that we met. Example. Name: John Doe. Turn it over: Truman Golf course and the date. Sometimes, there may or may not be any other pertinent info that you may want to indicate to help remember who they were.
I was going to suggest the same thing.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Sage

I found repeating one's name as many times in conversation when first meeting them is a good way to remember them.

I also associate their name to a family member or someone who is famous. Their name placed with a vivid association is a good way, according to one expert in memory.

If one can't remember, i would re-introduce myself and hope their say their name.

Some people have the habit calling someone buddy, dude or chief. That shows me they have no interest in trying to remember someone's name. UUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
you know I have tried that approach.....so nice to meet you mrs jones, mrs jones how was your lunch. oh that is wonderful mrs jones.... mrs jones I love your earings..ect ect...
I come across as being a moron....and I still can't remember her name when I see her again....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have a name tag by the side of my bed, so when I wake up I know who I am. Wife changed it once, and for a week I informed all my new friends I was 'Dumbo.'
Two funny posts.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have absolutely no facial recognition ability. I've been known to walk past my daughter in a store without saying a word until she calls me "Mom". Sad, but true. What I do do is listen to your voice and watch body language. The other thing is make sure I hear your name when being introduced, not whether I was introduced correctly. When we meet in the future, the oral clues and body language usually trigger a memory as to who you are. If not, I've found a sincere apology about not recalling usually does the trick. As to taking my picture, not gonna happen.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Tags
people, names, met, remembering, faces

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.