Saving seats at town squares

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
The difference is that the village chair belongs to everyone. Your chair belongs to only you. I don't understand the logic that people have the "right" to take ownership of a community chair from early in the day until they decide it can be returned to general use. If that is allowed, it won't be long before chairs and locations are reserved permanently and no one but the "privileged" will be allowed to the use of community property.
So...as soon as you get up to dance, or get a drink, or go to the bathroom, that chair then is up for grabs. Anyone at any time can take off a "seat saver" and sit in it because it was unoccupied. OK...so remember that everyone when we come and take off someone's seat saver. We won't worry about coming late anymore because we have the right now to sit anywhere we want whether or not there is a seat saver and you all will back us up and consider that to be the new "respectful" thing to do.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsudden View Post
So...as soon as you get up to dance, or get a drink, or go to the bathroom, that chair then is up for grabs. Anyone at any time can take off a "seat saver" and sit in it because it was unoccupied. OK...so remember that everyone when we come and take off someone's seat saver. We won't worry about coming late anymore because we have the right now to sit anywhere we want whether or not there is a seat saver and you all will back us up and consider that to be the new "respectful" thing to do.
Deep Breaths Gracie.

Someone posted a nice post on this very subject, above. When you get up to dance, you may have chatted with folks sitting around you, most of us do,one of the reasons to go to the square, to meet others. Those people will generally tell others you are dancing.

But... you can do it your way.

MY goal when I moved here was to make friends and enjoy life interconnected, not to just ....well, you know.

Try this thought. Try to treat others the way someone who loves you would treat you.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM

yeah for removing the seat saver, excuse me but there are a lot of people here and saving a seat is unaceptable !!!! and to hold it while you went to dinner ????
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Sage

I guess that if everyone had the same set of values and conderation of other people, this conversation would not had to surface again.

I am sorry this coversation is going around for the upteenth time.

I certainly don't want to deal with misplaced anger by someone who feels this was "their seats".

It would be nice if the powers that be would institute a standard policy so there is no ambiguity regarding saving a seat.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
So...as soon as you get up to dance, or get a drink, or go to the bathroom, that chair then is up for grabs. ...
From reading this thread, this is not the impression I'm getting from just about everyone who has posted their thoughts. Looks to me like the general consensus agrees chairs that are saved before the event or entertainment begins are up for grabs. These are the chairs that folks put their seat savers on and rope off hours before an event or entertainment begins. Once the event or entertainment begins, the seats are NOT up for grabs. Folks can get up to dance or go to the restroom and should be assured their seat is there when they come back. Going to a restaurant for dinner is another thing altogether. The seats really shouldn't be saved if the people are going to be gone for a long period of time.

Do I have that right?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I guess that if everyone had the same set of values and conderation of other people, this conversation would not had to surface again.

I am sorry this coversation is going around for the upteenth time.

It would be nice if the powers that be would institute a standard policy so there is no ambiguity regarding saving a seat.
Yes it would be nice to have an official policy. They could post a big sign, even. But unless people have the DESIRE to be considerate and the mindset to agree to the rules, that sign wouldn't make a diddly-squat of a difference.
They would still need someone to make sure people followed the policy. I'm sure the powers that be have reasoned this already.

That's why, in my opinion, the 'brownwood' chairs are dispensed the way they are, one at a time. People can't grab a stack and reserve them. (That may also be why they are bulkier chairs)
This change happened to coincide with our resident survey results.
I believe they ARE aware, listening and trying to help.

I have also noticed that they are hanging back on placing the chairs out at the other squares. Not as early as they used to.

Makes you just want to slap yourself in the head sometimes, that people are the way they are. I am just grateful they are not related to me or live next door.
I still love it here.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:

After the entertainment begins, if you get up to dance or whatever, the people surrounding your chairs will inform others that the chairs are occupied.

This is waaaaaaaaaay different that "saving" chairs prior to the event so you can leave and go shopping or to dinner.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default to Katsudden,

...at times I am afraid you may have felt picked on....the truth is you would do yourself a favor by reading the other threads Gracie gave you the link to .....there is a very, very long history on this subject.

You see, although this may not be you, there are many times when chairs are saved and the savers do not show up for a long time. This would leave hours of people having to stand....while the savers were not there. The savers did not even have to stand a bit so their legs were not tired. You see it as posiibly being smart to have played the seat saving game well but in this community...it have become very boorish. Remember there are many with mobility issues that could sit while others are not there.

We are regular visitors at The Villages, we rent and cannot bring our own chairs....we like to enjoy the entertainment at the squares and or bring our guests to the squares but you can imagine how they view it when they see all those roped off seats not occupied while they are at the entertainment for the entire evening standing!!!!

Redwitch expressed it well....there is a long history that used to include bringing tables to special events and them mostly being empty for periods of time. You see if you have ...say a neighborhood event and they know someone has saved a seat ...people would be in no hurry to get there and occupy the seat or table and many others could not even enjoy the event at all. With all of this in mind, many have long anticipated with hope the day when the seat saving issue would be stopped by the "Powers that Be".

Keep posting. BTW there are several 'hot topic' posts that get addressed over and over. Just thought I would mention it in case you notice some strong opinions on certain matters.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Sage

It could be that entertainment personnel "placed" rather than "threw" seat-saver items in the bushes so that they would be out of everyone's way and no one would trip over them. Works for me.

As for claiming public property as one's own while not even using it, no, that does not make one the smartest guy in the room, just makes him/her among the least considerate and welcomed. Think about it.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Sage

"We are regular visitors at The Villages, we rent and cannot bring our own chairs....we like to enjoy the entertainment at the squares and or bring our guests to the squares but you can imagine how they view it when they see all those roped off seats not occupied while they are at the entertainment for the entire evening standing!!!! "

I do not see that renters would have a problem with bringing their own chairs to the entertainment at the squares. I have the "bag chairs" that I bought for around $8 and they fit easily in the golf cart or car.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Buggyone

Agree,,,we like bag chairs but.....since we are only there a week at a time....they do not do well on the plane....so we have not purchased them....besides to buy them for us and guests would be costly and then have to rebuy them the next year when we come....not do-able.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...JUST KIDDING NOW......

The Villages Florida
Love it!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
After the entertainment begins, if you get up to dance or whatever, the people surrounding your chairs will inform others that the chairs are occupied.

This is waaaaaaaaaay different that "saving" chairs prior to the event so you can leave and go shopping or to dinner.
You are putting a lot of responsibility on others around you to be available to pass on that information. What if THEY need to leave to go home before you return? It's not their responsibility to hold your chairs until you return. That happened to us once. The people didn't have seat savers and they asked us to save their seats while they got drinks. Well....they were gone for over 1/2 hr. and we had to leave. So I have no idea what happened after we left.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Lol.. You are missing the point again with your statement and everyone has been trying to explain it. IF someone dances, gets a drink, etc, they are not gone 1/2 hour+ at a time. IF they are than they shouldn't have been saved anyway. Amazing how things get twisted. And.. No you do not have any responsibility to save a seat but do it out of common courtesy if you will be sitting there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.