Is the Sharon Ugly and/or ill conceived?

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Sage
Default Is the Sharon Ugly and/or ill conceived?

I have read the other threads on The Sharon and some people think it was a bad idea, parking etc. People have personally told me that previous surveys have suggested against it being built but the Developer built regardless. I walk by The Sharon most mornings and I have to say I think its ugly. It kinda looks like a prison with a cross on top. Is it just me?

If they wanted more commercial space could they have not incorporated it into the perimeter of that prison warehouse looking Sharon, instead of dooming Katie Belles? They could have had their theater and a bustling beautiful building. The idea of The Sharon makes no sense in a Square, fully one forth of the square will now be dead ugly unused space the vast majority of the time. Will it be used daily by the residents?

Yes yes yes... the developer has a right to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and yes they are most likely smarter than the rest of us. The question is ... is it ugly? Does it belong in a square? I would do this post as a survey if I knew how and had the rights.

PS...Why do some people never ever criticize the developer?

The Villages Florida

They are not God.

:b igbow:
Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The Disney planners hired to design Spanish Springs were asked to create a "whimsical " Spanish Town Square as I have heard it. All Spanish towns have churches. The church on the square was part of the fantasy look. I won't tell you what I think, although some people have called me artistic. My aunt and one other. Alright, I like it. I really like it.

Here is the letter from Mark Morse. This was a couple of years after a group called Palms who badly wanted a performing arts center approached him and he offered the church on the square enlarged on HIS dime and they turned him down. Not big enough or something like that. Not what they wanted.

http://www.districtgov.org/images/wh...nterLetter.pdf
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I have read the other threads on The Sharon and some people think it was a bad idea, parking etc. People have personally told me that previous surveys have suggested against it being built but the Developer built regardless. I walk by The Sharon most mornings and I have to say I think its ugly. It kinda looks like a prison with a cross on top. Is it just me?

If they wanted more commercial space could they have not incorporated it into the perimeter of that prison warehouse looking Sharon, instead of dooming Katie Belles? They could have had their theater and a bustling beautiful building. The idea of The Sharon makes no sense in a Square, fully one forth of the square will now be dead ugly unused space the vast majority of the time. Will it be used daily by the residents?

Yes yes yes... the developer has a right to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and yes they are most likely smarter than the rest of us. The question is ... is it ugly? Does it belong in a square? I would do this post as a survey if I knew how and had the rights.

The Villages Florida

They are not God.

I can't speak for the aesthetics of the building and won't see it until June. I want to add to your Post Scriptum and ask the question why do some do nothing but criticize the developer? It seems to go both ways 50/50.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Why two threads?

Here is a thread from 2010 on the subject.

The Morses are damned when they don't and damned when they do.

The Time For a Performing Arts Center is Now

Last edited by Moderator; 04-20-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate thread removed - moderator
Old 04-20-2015, 06:28 AM
Sage

Computer froze for like ten minutes so I stupidly hit button again. Wish I could delete one.

Last edited by Moderator; 04-20-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate thread removed - moderator
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I will answer your last question first with another question. Why do many continually criticize the Developer? I totally agree Everybody has a right to their opinion.

I don't think it's ugly. The photos I've seen on the inside are beautiful.

You can bet that the parking (if it's a problem) will be addressed.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post

They are not God.

To answer your question directly, NO, the Sharon is not ugly, but your post is.

We had the extreme pleasure of attending the Charter High School's "The Show Must Go On" program. Obviously you didn't. You really missed something spectacular. The Sharon is not as glitzy on the inside as we had expected, but a far cry from ugly. We welcome it to our community and are looking forward to future happy times there.

Life is grand. You should try to enjoy it instead of spending time looking for negatives.

Xavier
Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Many in the comunity wanted a better venue for performances.. The MAN tried to get the residents behind an effort, but the main objection as I remember it, was the costs and ongoing expenses. Many efforts of this type in other communities have failed.

The MAN steps up and out of his pockets provides an incredible facility for the community. We b---- because a sub standard restaurant accross the square is not going to be continued in its failing format.

I love living in TV, but the more I read this forum, the more I am shocked by the financial and business ignorance of many of the posters.

" Beter to be quiet and have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt'
Old 04-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Sage

I think his or her deliberately provocative message is intended to cause maximum disruption and argument.
Either that or he or she really thinks the building is ugly.

I'll follow along until tee time.
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...es/popcorn.gif

ps I need to work on my emoticon skills.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I think it is a beautiful building. The pictures I have seen of the inside look fantastic. It fits right in with the town! Great job!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 AM
Gold member

So if the developers had demolished the existing "church" building and bulldozed the rubble to use as fill under a new parking lot somewhere, you and the others would be b:tching about how wasteful they are of a perfectly good auditorium and small concert venue that could have been repurposed and expanded.

And if you knew what Spanish colonial architecture inspired by St. Augustine, FL
was, you'd know the Sharon was carefully incorporated into the architecture there at Spanish Springs.

As for people supposedly never saying anything negative about the developers, you could always buy the radio station and newspaper company, and you could buy a b:tch forum like this one, to have all the negative stuff aired that you want to.

Put your money where your mouth is, and then see if people who decry a $2 split plate charge at a restaurant and never tip more than a dollar bill will buy the product and performance.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Many in the comunity wanted a better venue for performances.. The MAN tried to get the residents behind an effort, but the main objection as I remember it, was the costs and ongoing expenses. Many efforts of this type in other communities have failed.

The MAN steps up and out of his pockets provides an incredible facility for the community. We b---- because a sub standard restaurant accross the square is not going to be continued in its failing format.

I love living in TV, but the more I read this forum, the more I am shocked by the financial and business ignorance of many of the posters.

" Beter to be quiet and have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt'

I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Platinum member

Critizers are going to criticize and haters are going to hate! When the new KBs opens it could be like best 5 star restaurant. However we will be reading 100s of comments of how bad it is and how the developer is screwing us poor Villagers. It gets kindof repetitive...
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

When it was being built, I commented several times to my wife that the big wall on the side facing the square looked out of place in the quaint little square. Yes, I think that outside of the building is ugly and doesn't fit the square.

I don't think that the issue is whether to have built a bigger and better performance center. I think that many, if not most, residence wanted that. The two issues that I see are the size and location.

Being only 200 seats larger than the Savannah Center, I can't see where it's going to attract big name artists. If it does, the ticket prices will have to be astronomical.

The second issue is location. Many people don't understand why this had to be built in an already busy and congested town square with limited parking. There are plenty areas more centrally located where a larger (2,000-3,000) seat facility could have been built with plenty of parking. It also would have made more sense to to have it more centrally located on one of the major east to west roads, 466 and 466A. People from the southern and central areas would have had easier access. The area across from Pinellas on 466A that they just bought immediately came to my mind as the perfect spot if a 3,000 seat venue. Easy access from a main road, centrally located and plenty of room for parking.
They could have also added some retail and restaurants for the patrons of the performance center.

It's not only parking that will be an additional problem, but an additional 500 cars and golf carts coming into the square on concert nights will cause quite a bit of traffic. Look at the roads coming into the square. They are all small one lane in each direction roads. Main St., Paige Place, Del Mar, Alonzo and the other streets are going to be jammed up when The Sharon is sold out.

I'm not trying to be critical of the developer. I am a huge fan of this organization and love almost everything that they've done so far. I just can't agree with this one.

This is my own opinion of course and I could be proven wrong so we'll all just wait and see. In the meant time we should be able to discuss things and give our opinions without being criticized or labeled as negative. We're not all going to agree on everything all the time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When it was being built, I commented several times to my wife that the big wall on the side facing the square looked out of place in the quaint little square. Yes, I think that outside of the building is ugly and doesn't fit the square.

I don't think that the issue is whether to have built a bigger and better performance center. I think that many, if not most, residence wanted that. The two issues that I see are the size and location.

Being only 200 seats larger than the Savannah Center, I can't see where it's going to attract big name artists. If it does, the ticket prices will have to be astronomical.

The second issue is location. Many people don't understand why this had to be built in an already busy and congested town square with limited parking. There are plenty areas more centrally located where a larger (2,000-3,000) seat facility could have been built with plenty of parking. It also would have made more sense to to have it more centrally located on one of the major east to west roads, 466 and 466A. People from the southern and central areas would have had easier access. The area across from Pinellas on 466A that they just bought immediately came to my mind as the perfect spot if a 3,000 seat venue. Easy access from a main road, centrally located and plenty of room for parking.
They could have also added some retail and restaurants for the patrons of the performance center.

It's not only parking that will be an additional problem, but an additional 500 cars and golf carts coming into the square on concert nights will cause quite a bit of traffic. Look at the roads coming into the square. They are all small one lane in each direction roads. Main St., Paige Place, Del Mar, Alonzo and the other streets are going to be jammed up when The Sharon is sold out.

I'm not trying to be critical of the developer. I am a huge fan of this organization and love almost everything that they've done so far. I just can't agree with this one.

This is my own opinion of course and I could be proven wrong so we'll all just wait and see. In the meant time we should be able to discuss things and give our opinions without being criticized or labeled as negative. We're not all going to agree on everything all the time.
I know we are not to direct comments to specific users, but in this case I am because I am complementing Boogie's post. You have stated you position very well supported with facts. I would not call this type of post negative, but a well supported opinion. Others could learn from your post.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.