Paint kitchen cabinets

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Default Paint kitchen cabinets

We closed on our home in TV in December. It is 8 years old, and the kitchen cabinets have all pull out shelves and the plan is ok, but the cabinets are wood color. I prefer white kitchen cabinets. Has anyone painted kitchen cabinets or does anyone know who might do it?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Check on HGTV on line.

I think it requires the proper prep work such as a good sanding and a good primer. And a good enamel to finish. HOWEVER. As much as I am a do it your selfer, I would inquire if there is someplace you could take the doors to have them sprayed. No matter how hard you try, unless you refinish furniture, you are subject to leaving brush strokes on cabinets, and unless everything is done right they could chip.

This from me, who just painted a large console and it looks pretty good. But Kitchen cabinets are a very expensive and valuable part of your home and are used much more frequently than other cabinets.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I did a very large kitchen in a home I bought in Virginia several years ago. Had very high quality cherry cabinets but they were worn and chiped. I removed all the door and draws, all the hinges and hardware, saned and painted all the frames and then did the same to the doors. Sand with fine grain (200) sand paper, prime with a quality primer, and then paint the final coat. I did it with a brush with the doors laid flat on saw horses and they came out great. I even replaced all the hardware and hinges. They came out like a new kitchen.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Consider refacing your existing cabinets. It would be more expensive than painting but you would not have to worry about chipping the paint and repainting.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Default nting kitchen cabinets

Has anyone heard of liquid sand paper? It goes on like paint and no sanding is required. I did cabinets with it and then painted over the liquid sand paper and had no chips or problems with them. It works real slick just make sure you read all directions and paint over liquid sand paper in the time it states on directions or you will have to put more liquid sandpaper on the cabinets before painting. Our cabinets in our house have oak fronts and oak trim but the rest of the cabinets are laminate and so I am still researching to see if a product will work so I can paint the cabinets and laminate. I also do not like the wood look and prefer white. I will have to re-read the liquid sand paper directions again to see if it will work and will also be talking to paint people!!!!! If anyone has experience with this, please let me know.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

As I was reading these posts, I was going to say that for a "no streak" paint job, the new small diameter foam rollers work great. There are two types of foam rollers....get the finer denser one for the best finish. No brush marks, etc. They work great. I am not talking about the cheap disposible type, but the ones that you replace the foam roller covers from the roller.

If you are sanding, make sure to use a tack cloth before painting.

M+M beat me to mentioning the foam rollers, but I can also vouch for them. The fact that the pros did it that way only substantiates my suggestion.

Frank D.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 PM

My home was 4 years old when I bought it and the cabinets that once were a pickled white finish, were turning pinkish. I called the company who originally installed them and they gave me the name of a guy who restores cabinets. I called him, he gave me a fair price and refinished them. Apparently, these cabinets are not being sold anymore because of this very problem. PM me with your email address if you'd like his name and contact info.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC24 View Post
Consider refacing your existing cabinets. It would be more expensive than painting but you would not have to worry about chipping the paint and repainting.

I have to agree that refacing might be the better alternative. although I am not sure that it would be more expensive. Check with a few refacing dealers before you decide.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.