Sink hole!

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Gold member

According to WESH.com crews from the contractor Helicon USA had been working on that sinkhole for two weeks when a whole lot more dirt was swallowed up this morning.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
According to WESH.com crews from the contractor Helicon USA had been working on that sinkhole for two weeks when a whole lot more dirt was swallowed up this morning.

From Helicon's site showing the many projects they have completed in Florida. Scary!

The Villages Florida
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM

just got back. Walked over as to not cause traffic. Many people are blocking the area with cars and carts. Police asked everyone to move back and surprising to me a few residents gave him a hard time. Odd. They are busy bringing in cement mixers one after another and they don't need people getting in the way. Watch it on TV
Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Good point about gawkers rubber necking to see what's going on. These people should just get away and let those offering professional help do their work. Our prayers are with those affected.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2tire View Post
just got back. Walked over as to not cause traffic. Many people are blocking the area with cars and carts. Police asked everyone to move back and surprising to me a few residents gave him a hard time. Odd. They are busy bringing in cement mixers one after another and they don't need people getting in the way. Watch it on TV

It is kind that you used the word odd. I think it is terribly self centered. Shame on them.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
Good point about gawkers rubber necking to see what's going on. These people should just get away and let those offering professional help do their work. Our prayers are with those affected.

Lots of prayers need to be offered! We have friends 2 houses away.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 PM
KittyKat

WFTV.com has some (10) pictures & story under "local news." Apparently this started 3 weeks ago and when it was smaller it was filled in then after the rain yesterday the hole really got big this morning.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

Just got back from our "scavenger hunt" and decided not to go over there. While we were coming down St Charles earlier I saw the helicopter and several cars and carts headed that way and decided they didn't need me over there too. We live in the area just opposite them across the golf course. I feel very bad for the people whose homes are affected.
Nancy
Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

We back up to St. Charles and my hubby has been noticing cement mixers (approx. 30 or more) going down St. Charles for the past week or more. Last night we went by this home, as one of our neighbors mentioned there was a sinkhole problem on Chalmer yesterday, and we did see where the area that is now the huge sinkhole, was filled with concrete. As I am typing this at 9:30pm, we are seeing cement truck after truck going down St. Charles. Scary!!!!!
Thoughts and prayers to those who own these homes.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM

We are praying for the families and also the workers. We live in Ca. and saw it on our News. I was glad I already knew about it because of TOTV forum.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Platinum member

WESH2 and Channel 9 both reporting from there live on the 10 o'clock news. I'm sure it will be on again at 11.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodaneodwyer View Post
Yikes!

I am bumping this thread to bring it to the top for Senior Citizen. I think she missed it and wasn't aware we all were aware of this very sad thing. Both homeowners are snowbirds and aren't here right now so thankfully they are not displaced.

Hopefully the caravan of cement trucks going on through the night is helping to remedy this.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 AM
Sage
Default A little bit of knowledge is frightening

This latest sink hole (which I posted a similar pic of earlier on the other sink hole thread, earlier this morning) is extremely frightening, to say the least. It's not a little mud puddle. It's nothing to pooh pooh over......esp. when people have invested so much money into their homes.......not to mention, it is not good for our own peace of mind and mental health...........

I keep thinking of that poor man in Brandon, Florida (near Tampa) who was swallowed up while sleeping, last year........so "Who knows for sure if it cannot happen under one's home".......or not. We are not God. A sink hole swallowed him up, bed and all and they could not reach him. The nightmare which his family went through is unimaginable.

I think it is good that people post the names of the villages where they have occurred in the past.........ditto for the television news and the major Florida newspapers.

It's actually all over the internet..........so no big secret, except to those of us out of state who have only heard about them in the last several years.

Prior to that, we had never ever heard of sinkholes..........but then we only vacationed on the coasts except for Disney World......and even Orlando had a super big one last year, whereby the resort was literally collapsing into the ground due to a major sinkhole.

Prospective home buyers have a "need to know" and disclosure should be made, not hidden in the dark shadows of secrecy.........to protect whom?

It is scary, to say the least. If you keep looking, they've happened all over Florida except on the barrier islands.............but for the most part, they are prevalent in CENTRAL FLORIDA out to the western part of the state. Buyer beware. At our age, who needs home damage, no matter how small it might look.............it's not a good sign of what's going on under the earth.

After seeing the landslides of late out west..........perhaps it just makes some of us jittery............and intelligent enough to want to check it out.......not negative or having our heads in the sand. We are too old for that. Too wise and too old to just want a peaceful existence in our older years. Who needs the excitement of having the earth beneath your home.......or to the side of your home........or to the front of your home, or back of your home, swallowed up???

http://www.ccfj.net/HOAvillsinkhole.htm

Click hyperlink above for a past sinkhole; yes, a dozen years ago, but still relevant to those of us wanting to buy a used home. Also read the one below this article......."Sinkholes plague the villages"...its the link at the bottom of the page (of above hyperlink). You can find others, and thus know whereabouts they have occurred. All of the major newspapers and t.v. channels covered the ones in the past as well as the ones happening currently.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

If sinkholes are a major concern to folks that are considering a move to Florida, perhaps they should just give up on that idea. Every area of the country has something to be fearful of. You cannot worry about something that you cannot control.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
This latest sink hole (which I posted a similar pic of earlier on the other sink hole thread, earlier this morning) is extremely frightening, to say the least. It's not a little mud puddle. It's nothing to pooh pooh over......esp. when people have invested so much money into their homes.......not to mention, it is not good for our own peace of mind and mental health...........

I keep thinking of that poor man in Brandon, Florida (near Tampa) who was swallowed up while sleeping, last year........so "Who knows for sure if it cannot happen under one's home".......or not. We are not God. A sink hole swallowed him up, bed and all and they could not reach him. The nightmare which his family went through is unimaginable.

I think it is good that people post the names of the villages where they have occurred in the past.........ditto for the television news and the major Florida newspapers.

It's actually all over the internet..........so no big secret, except to those of us out of state who have only heard about them in the last several years.

Prior to that, we had never ever heard of sinkholes..........but then we only vacationed on the coasts except for Disney World......and even Orlando had a super big one last year, whereby the resort was literally collapsing into the ground due to a major sinkhole.

Prospective home buyers have a "need to know" and disclosure should be made, not hidden in the dark shadows of secrecy.........to protect whom?

It is scary, to say the least. If you keep looking, they've happened all over Florida except on the barrier islands.............but for the most part, they are prevalent in CENTRAL FLORIDA out to the western part of the state. Buyer beware. At our age, who needs home damage, no matter how small it might look.............it's not a good sign of what's going on under the earth.

After seeing the landslides of late out west..........perhaps it just makes some of us jittery............and intelligent enough to want to check it out.......not negative or having our heads in the sand. We are too old for that. Too wise and too old to just want a peaceful existence in our older years. Who needs the excitement of having the earth beneath your home.......or to the side of your home........or to the front of your home, or back of your home, swallowed up???

http://www.ccfj.net/HOAvillsinkhole.htm

Click hyperlink above for a past sinkhole; yes, a dozen years ago, but still relevant to those of us wanting to buy a used home. Also read the one below this article......."Sinkholes plague the villages"...its the link at the bottom of the page (of above hyperlink). You can find others, and thus know whereabouts they have occurred. All of the major newspapers and t.v. channels covered the ones in the past as well as the ones happening currently.

You forgot to mention the Tsunami in Japan and the three other recent tsunami warning. Also the avalanche on Mt Everest. And.............

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.