Smart to purchase home now or wait?

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
This is completely false. Apparently you haven't driven down there lately or looked at the aerial pictures recently posted on TOTV.
We drove down and in. There are many houses in various stages of being built but I agree fully with your comment. We had assumed things would be further along. They may have some models open soon and houses for actual sale but we are still at the very early stages.

As an aside, maybe it was just us but we felt the build quality was a bit below what we were used to seeing. For example, all the garage doors we saw on designers were white - not painted to blend with the exterior colors. Trim such as base was painted with the wall colors in every house we were in and none was painted white, much less gloss white, to contrast with the walls.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

The Villages has purchased 2,327 acres of land along the Florida Turnpike near the Okahumpka Service Plaza.

If you read the lead article on the other web site, I don't think there will be a shortage of property to buy, in fact prices could get a whole lot cheaper!

Last edited by Two Bills; 01-03-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The Villages has purchased 2,327 acres of land along the Florida Turnpike near the Okahumpka Service Plaza.

If you read the lead article on the other web site, I don't think there will be a shortage of property to buy, in fact prices could get a whole lot cheaper!
Yes, this is why Morse, a multi billionaire who developed the most succesful community ever, is buying more property.

Because he thinks prices for his homes will go down.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Man makes plans & God laughs--get your ducks in a row asap--lost 5 close friends this year--the youngest was 61--if you can afford to retire now do it--can't imagine what 2 more years will do for your retirement-its what you put in in the beginning ,not @ the end that really counts
One of the best posts I've ever seen here.
Wait , wait , wait and before you know it it's too late.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Gold member

We purchased 2 yrs before we could retire and did not want to rent out. We purchased because at that time (10 yrs ago) the home prices were going up $7,000 every 3 months. I think prices have reached a peak so personally I would wait, buy resale centrally located. You will get Fabulous upgrades in some homes, some bonds paid off. Lots of perks in resales
Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 PM

Best to buy now, before the buildout is complete.....which will be when The Villages reaches Cuba and Canada.....LOL!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:38 PM

A great re-sale, block stucco court yard villa in the Village of El Santiago with the new Rec Center.

***NO BOND***, lots of updates, including new HVAC March 2016.

Great for snowbirds, investors, or your full time forever home. Great active friendly community.

Open house Thurs 5 Jan 2017 11am - 1pm

Further details & pics at this link
1136 SANTA CRUZ DR, THE VILLAGES, FL — MLS# G4835781 — ERA
Old 01-04-2017, 12:08 AM

First Beware of these items

West facing outdoor areas like a lanai are unusable in the hot summer afternoons.

If gas cooking is important get to know where it is available. Only in some locations North of 466A.

Know what your bond costs

Know what county your property is in and get to know their financial situation.

Decide what you are going to do once you get here. Squares, golf, etc. Location is so very important and the Center part of The Villages is in demand.

Make sure you understand what it costs to live here. Know your budget before you come.

If you come here and have to work you will be disappointed in the pay offered for most jobs.

We purchased in 2010, rented it for 2 years, prior to moving here full time. There was a major shortage of long term rentals . We were lucky. Things have changed. I would research this carefully before you assume it will be easy to rent your place out. Seems like 3 BR 2 BA placed 1500 to 1800 rent for $1500-$1600 per month. Someone else may have more current figures.

One advantage of buying and not renting is you can come down and visit more often if you want to furnish it.. You may be able to buy a houseful of furniture form someone that bought a furnished hose and wanted to bring their own.

Hope this helps but take all the necessary time to think this thru.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

if you wait a few more years ,you can have Disney world frontage........................
Old 04-22-2017, 11:53 AM

I purchased 2 years before retiring. I rented for one month to KICK THE TIRES. I bought in first 2 weeks. BTW - My Designer HADLEY Golf Course View available JAN 2018 - Pics on request moss2494@gmail.com
Old 04-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, it makes no sense to buy and rent the house out for 2 years. There will be plenty of houses for sale in 2 years, or whenever you want to move. No one can predict what the appreciation will be. Owning a rental house is great for the rental company, but not so much for you.
I agree with you. I wouldn't want to decorate my home and fix it all up and then rent it to people. I see no reason why new homes will not be available in two years. Have y'all seen all those Conestoga Wagons?

Remember that ten thousand boomers are retiring every day and will for the next 19 years.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
depends on what you want. Resales will always be here, If you want new on a golf course, then there are 16 available and they are all villas
Make sure the villa or house is not sited in such a way that it gets hit by golf balls.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGary View Post
We plan to relocate to TV in about two years upon my retirement, will be 68 at that time. Anyone who can provide any comments regarding if it is better to purchase a residence now or wait would be much appreciated. A few additional questions also for anyone's comment:
1) Rental Income: We were advised by TV realtors a home could be put into a rental program in the interim. As we were driving around the villages Dec of 2016 saw many "for rent" signs plus rentals via internet sites. Is the rental market really that strong where one could anticipate rental income?
2) Appreciation of current homes: Do you believe the value of current homes are appreciating that fast where it would be beneficial to purchase now? As there seems to be a lot of home for sale in TV plus I saw reduced prices for the new homes offer by TV realtors.
3) Resident Turnover: What is the approximate turnover, such that what percentage of residents decide annually to relocate out of TV.

Thank you for any comments, also thanks for the great hospitality during our brief visit.
The price of homes in The Villages has gone up almost every year and I believe that they will continue to go up.

There is always the option of buying a home and renting it out until you are ready to move. That way you are building equity and/or making money.

A friend of mine bought a patio villa down here when he was about 55. He put it into a rental pool and TV used it for lifestyle visits. By the tie he retired, it was almost all paid for.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Gold member

I built my home (Iris - Designer) in 2012 and immediately put it on the long-term, unfurnished rental program. Last year, my long-term tenants moved back to Atlanta and I decided to put it on the seasonal rental market so I could enjoy it a bit. (We had to rent every time we came to TV and because most people won't rent with cats we only stayed for two weeks at a time!). If I had my way, I would be here full time. However, I have my almost 93 year old mother and my 89 year old aunt. Neither of them, want to move to Florida! I saved every penny of my rent money and not only did I furnish my home, I was also able to do some extra projects.

Mom would come down if I really forced it but my aunt won't. Knowing that now, I would loved to have a courtyard villa since I now have a puppy. The courtyard villas didn't work for me in 2012 -- the garages were too small, I wanted inside laundry, and none of the bathrooms were large enough to maneuver a walker into the shower! They have changed the floor plans and I really like the new Avondale model but its way out in the Village of Fenney!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

If you want new, the new area North of Fenney will have homes for sale in a few years. I like the new Osceola Hills area for sale now and taxes are less there than they would be in the New areas South of 44 (Wildwood) and Pine Ridge area. As far as renting the home out, We did exactly what you are considered and would recommend you market it yourself through VillagersHomes4rent.com and hire a home watch company to do all the legwork here ( I used Cunningham Home Services and they were great ). We were able to rent our home even through the summer.

Closed Thread

Tags
rental, purchase, home, homes, income

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.