Speeding in Villages neighborhoods

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
10 mph? Really? Is this an official posting of any sort? I've never heard of such a low posted speed limit, except for school zones. It may not even be defensible in court.

Speed limits must be reasonable for any given road. For example, a posted speed limit of 30 mph on an interstate highway (not that it would ever happen) would not be upheld in court. Seems like 10 mph in a village might be similar. 10 mph is a crawl.
I believe topspino is correct. I have seen signs in The Villages limiting speed to 10MPH.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
There are signs outside The Villages stating the speed limit is 25mph unless otherwise stated. That would be the limit on the roads in the small neighborhoods. On larger roads like Belvedere and probably Bailey Trail, the speed limit posted is 30mph.
The Villages speed limit is 20mph unless otherwise stated. Main thoroughfares run from 25mph to 45mph. there certainly are going to be areas where for specific reasons 15mph is posted.

There are problems with some drivers speeding. I don't mind a speeder (9-10 miles over the speed limit) as such but I do mind a reckless speeder

However there are also problems associated with drivers who intentionally go well under the speed limit. Some of these drivers are extremely over cautious appearing to lack confidence in their judgments. My attention greatly increases when around drivers such as this

It is especially irritating to have a driver pull to the left lane on a divided headway ( such as 466 or 466A ) blocking traffic flowing at 45mph when they are driving 30 mph. In my view 466 & 466A ought to be 55mph. I suppose there are some residents here gasping for air at my suggestions.

I believe in following the speed limit. If a driver prefers to travel under the speed limit on 466 &466A at least be courteous and travel in the right lane. And, don;t get me started on those drivers Rio Grande and Del Mar
Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage

/////////
Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
10 mph? Really? Is this an official posting of any sort? I've never heard of such a low posted speed limit, except for school zones. It may not even be defensible in court.

Speed limits must be reasonable for any given road. For example, a posted speed limit of 30 mph on an interstate highway (not that it would ever happen) would not be upheld in court. Seems like 10 mph in a village might be similar. 10 mph is a crawl.

No really! It says 10 MPH. I didn't hang the sign I just reported it. Legal or not in cYV or pVs 25 is too fast were narrow streets with crooked drive ways. I'm with you 10 too slow. But who am I to question the powers to be!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I recall seeing the signs, speed limit 20 MPH unless otherwise posted. I also agree that access roads are like Pinellas Place are posted 30 MPH, I have been passed by golf carts at 30 MPH. 2 points here, both the car speedometer and the separate GPS in the car agreed that I was doing the speed limit, and the golf cart was going much too fast. IMHO the 30 mph limit on these types of roads is fine, and it allows sufficient time for avoiding the drivers that turn without turn signals, or do not stop at stop signs.
It is interesting that I really believe that some of the contractors actually get up to 40 or 45 mph after going through the gate, probably another discussion.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Eternal Member

The speed limit of 20 MPH unless posted is a Sumter county thing. As you cross from Marion county to Sumter county on Buena Vista you will see the 20 mph sign followed by a 35 mph sign.

Z
Old 08-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We live in a courtyard villa neighborhood and the speed limit is 10 mph.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The Villages speed limit is 20mph unless otherwise stated. Main thoroughfares run from 25mph to 45mph. there certainly are going to be areas where for specific reasons 15mph is posted.

There are problems with some drivers speeding. I don't mind a speeder (9-10 miles over the speed limit) as such but I do mind a reckless speeder

However there are also problems associated with drivers who intentionally go well under the speed limit. Some of these drivers are extremely over cautious appearing to lack confidence in their judgments. My attention greatly increases when around drivers such as this

It is especially irritating to have a driver pull to the left lane on a divided headway ( such as 466 or 466A ) blocking traffic flowing at 45mph when they are driving 30 mph. In my view 466 & 466A ought to be 55mph. I suppose there are some residents here gasping for air at my suggestions.

I believe in following the speed limit. If a driver prefers to travel under the speed limit on 466 &466A at least be courteous and travel in the right lane. And, don;t get me started on those drivers Rio Grande and Del Mar
They are probably planning on turning left sometime in the distant future; maybe in 5 or 10 miles.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:43 PM

there was a speed limit study done in 2011, Please Google it as I could not figure out how to attached. It has a lot of good information in it. Also from that study I found out all local or residential street are 20 MPH.

thanks and have a blessed day.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
No really! It says 10 MPH. I didn't hang the sign I just reported it. Legal or not in cYV or pVs 25 is too fast were narrow streets with crooked drive ways. I'm with you 10 too slow. But who am I to question the powers to be!
Do bicyclists have to obey those speed limits? They don't have to stop at stop signs, unless there are cars coming.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Gasp, gasp, gasp! Give me some air! actually I am for open speed limits that's closer to reality anyway no matter what road your on
Old 08-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjane View Post
there was a speed limit study done in 2011, Please Google it as I could not figure out how to attached. It has a lot of good information in it. Also from that study I found out all local or residential street are 20 MPH.

thanks and have a blessed day.

Where was the study done? Was there clause in there that said unless otherwise posted that usually under the 20 mph sign on the street? Speed limit in most parking lots is 5 mph. My guess is that if you going five mph you got your foot on the brake so how could you hit some one? So if you do hit someone you must be speeding.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
They are probably planning on turning left sometime in the distant future; maybe in 5 or 10 miles.
Yes, and then they will turn onto the interstate, move to the left lane, and go 35 mph

Meanwhile, on the residential streets the posted 20-25 mph limit should be obeyed since we do have many elderly bicyclists, cart drivers and pedestrians (yes, there are a few areas posted even less). But I do not agree with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
In my sons young professional, neighborhood in Atlanta the home owners all have signs in their yard.....SLOW DOWN! I guess that would not be allowed here due to the sign restriction but it seems ridiculous that it would not...your thoughts?
We are a country governed by the rule of law. That means the only signs that a driver has to obey are those posted by a governmental authority. I couldn't care less what kind of sign a group of idiots puts out in their front yards. Other citizens do not get to tell me what to do. If they want to play at law enforcement, go to the police academy and earn a badge.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
...In my sons young professional, neighborhood in Atlanta the home owners all have signs in their yard.....SLOW DOWN!...your thoughts?
Horrible idea imo. Visual blight. Unenforceable. And all it does it tick off some drivers to likely do the contrary.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Horrible idea imo. Visual blight. Unenforceable. And all it does it tick off some drivers to likely do the contrary.
There is a short residential street in Auburn, about 2 blocks long, maybe 35-30 houses. Unfortunately , there is a shopping plaza past it, and this road serves as a short cut to avoid the main artery for about 1/2 the town. As the plaza expanded, and then a Walmart and a Lowe's as well as a BJ's went up past the plaza, so did the traffic on this little street. Because it is short, there wasn't really any speeding, but the residents did not want traffic on their street. So first they petitioned for a "local traffic only" sign, and were turned down. Then they wanted a 5 mph speed limit, also turned down. They started taking turns milling around in the middle of the road, which inevitably brought the police. Of course, they cleared the residents off, issued tickets, and even a few arrests--- after all, this IS a public road. In the end, those ugly slow down signs appeared in every front yard. Guess what?---NOW they have a speeding problem! And guess how enthusiastic the police are to respond to reports of speeders on that street? Answer, about the same level of enthusiasm they have in NYC for the mayor
Closed Thread

Tags
neighborhoods, owners, speed, limit, home, neighborhood, golf, carts, trucks, cars, dusk, early, morning, notifying, thought, police, atlanta, due, allowed, guess, sign, restriction, thoughts, ridiculous, slow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.