Uber

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Uber

Is Uber available in The Villages?? Are there any UBER based drivers here. Can you tell us your experiences??
Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 AM

Uber golfcarts! Now there's a concept.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:07 AM

Just looked at the Uber app and did not see any current drivers in the area. The closest was in Ocala. There might be drivers in the area but none at this time are available. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Can someone please explain what exactly Uber is? I know I have lived overseas for a very long time but still this Uber thing seems to have popped up suddenly and is everywhere? I have heard extremely negative things about Uber and good things about Uber and I am confused whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. How do you use them?
Old 09-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Gold member

Uber works great. Just download the App on your smart phone. Don't use a smart phone I think you are out of luck. Get a car and driver where and when you need one. The fair is based on where you want to go. There are no meters so you know what the cost is up front. This would work great in the Villages for people who don't drive or don't like to dive at night.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 AM

I was hoping the answer was yes! Mom can't drive at night and this would be great for her.this is also a great idea for seniors who want to earn some extra money
Old 09-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage

Good way to avoid a DUI
Old 09-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran member
Default This is the concept of Uber and Lyft

Concept of Uber and Lyft car-sharing businesses shown in this video. "Nobody's going to ride [taxis] for $45 per ride".......

Before some get all hot under the collar about the competition they pose for taxis, think about this:

My friend age 84 was here for a few weeks. When I could not take her to a class at a Regional Rec Center about 7 miles from us in The Villages, the regular taxi fare was going to be $26. Obviously, she did not go. The consumer is hostage to typical taxi rates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jezJzgXkuM
Old 09-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Is Uber available in The Villages?? Are there any UBER based drivers here. Can you tell us your experiences??
Would you hire an unlicensed or uninsured contractor ?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Definitely. I call them undocumented contractors.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I don't know where you are getting your facts from but UBER drivers are required to have a CDL drivers license, pass a background check, and prove personal liability coverage before getting the UBER job. Once the fare is picked up UBER has Commercial insurance covering its fares up to 1 million liability as well as UI/UIM.

Here is a site to help you understand.
https://www.uber.com/driver-jobs
Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Concept of Uber and Lyft car-sharing businesses shown in this video. "Nobody's going to ride [taxis] for $45 per ride".......

Before some get all hot under the collar about the competition they pose for taxis, think about this:

My friend age 84 was here for a few weeks. When I could not take her to a class at a Regional Rec Center about 7 miles from us in The Villages, the regular taxi fare was going to be $26. Obviously, she did not go. The consumer is hostage to typical taxi rates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jezJzgXkuM
I don't know what taxi service you used but last November we were in The Villages to go on a cruise with our Village. Our hotel was probably close to 7 miles from the bus pickup point in Lake Sumter. There were three of us, three pieces of luggage for a week's cruise, 3 carry-ons and Mom's walker. The Village Aiirport Van didn't even charge us $20! And, they booked us at that time for the return trip. We just had to call them when the bus was about 10 miles out of TV. (The hotel let me leave my car in their parking lot as we would be staying there on our return.)

I would think Uber would work in TV. I thought I saw a post a couple of days ago where a guy in Ocala was starting a Uber business.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I don't know where you are getting your facts from but UBER drivers are required to have a CDL drivers license, pass a background check, and prove personal liability coverage before getting the UBER job. Once the fare is picked up UBER has Commercial insurance covering its fares up to 1 million liability as well as UI/UIM.

Here is a site to help you understand.
https://www.uber.com/driver-jobs
Pretty much correct in your post, except for the CDL. Not needed to drive for Uber. Good link for their web site, though. It does have all the info.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Uber is the future. No matter how hard the NYC mayor, or Spanish and French cab drivers try to restrict this new business it will flourish. The cars will drive themselves soon enough. They are working on robotic cars as we speak. So are Apple, Google, Toyota and others. The future is here.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Definitely. I call them undocumented contractors.

That is one to remember!

Tags
uber, experiences, drivers, villages, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.