Unhappy Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm one of the very few that didn't move here to fulfill a dream. For me, it was a safe place to land. Even so, I don't regret my choice. I probably will always think of the SF area as home but I do love this bubble. It's not perfect here but it's pretty darn good. I usually find something to make me smile every day. I grouse about some things and I'm not a huge fan of the developer (but I do appreciate the work and effort it took to make Harold Schwartz's dream a reality). Not everyone is going to like it here and most of us take issue to something (dogs, bikes, golf cart drivers, etc.) but that doesn't mean we're not happy here or regret our choice, it simply means there are things we'd like changed. For that matter, I'd like to be 35, a leggy redhead, successful and have a nice body but I'll take me as I am and like some of the stuff about me and accept the rest as it is. The same goes for TV.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Sage

Take a look at the Tags.

Tags
lot, sense, unhappy, politics, world, people, resources, limited, competing, global, wondering, discontent, undercurrent, exists, unrest, village, tvers, disillusionment, living, reality, comments/letters, based, villagers, totv, online

I don't know what to make of this. Where is "happy, unlimited, non-competitive, local, content, restful, accepting"? Where are the positive tags? I
'm going to assume that a computer program makes a tag list. But why aren't positive terms being tags too? Clearly this thread has far more positive, over 99% positive comments.

Last edited by tomwed; 07-29-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I vote we switch over and talk about why the 98.6573854% like it here.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
For every one person that I have met who said that they were un happy here, I have met hundreds who wish they had moved here earlier in life.
Unhappiness , in my view, is usually a state of mind not a place.
I agree.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Based on TOTV and the online news comments/letters, there seem to be a lot of unhappy TVers.
As Thoreau says in the Conclusion to Walden, "The fault finder will find faults even in paradise".
Old 07-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
As Thoreau says in the Conclusion to Walden, "The fault finder will find faults even in paradise".
So true!!!..
Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Based on the sampling base of TOTVers and online news comments I can see what you are noticing. But my take is that the negativity is from a small proportion of malcontents on a repetitious basis, and that most prople here are as happy as they ever have been.
I agree!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Based on TOTV and the online news comments/letters, there seem to be a lot of unhappy TVers. Could it be disillusionment in the reality of living here versus the vacation lifestyle visit that sold them on TV? Could it be TV changing from the "friendliest village" to just another overcrowded municipal area with a lot of stressed out people competing for limited resources? Or maybe, it has to do with world politics and global unrest. It's just a sense I have. I'm not sure it even exists. Just wondering if others sense this undercurrent of discontent.
I've read all the posts.............seems like you are the only one.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Sage

1. Not every one on TOTV, lives here.
2. People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. A. Lincoln
3. I know one person who is always complaining about something in TV, but then she would be unhappy, no matter where she lived. Some people have problems and think a change of venue will solve them but they will take their problems, wherever they go.

Speaking for myself, I pinch myself every day and thank a friend I made, for introducing me to this wonderful lifestyle. It's not perfect and some people will gripe over minor annoyances, but the big picture has too much upside.

Negative people are like the tail, trying to wag the dog but the great majority is the dog, that wags it's tail.

I agree with BTK, lets talk about the almost 99% that are happy to be here!.

I love TV and it's myriad of opportunities, to enjoy oneself.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Some people aren't happy even if they get five pickles (the optimal amount) strategically positioned on their cheeseburger.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bntv View Post
1. Not every one on totv, lives here.
2. People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. A. Lincoln
3. I know one person who is always complaining about something in tv, but then she would be unhappy, no matter where she lived. Some people have problems and think a change of venue will solve them but they will take their problems, wherever they go.

Speaking for myself, i pinch myself every day and thank a friend i made, for introducing me to this wonderful lifestyle. It's not perfect and some people will gripe over minor annoyances, but the big picture has too much upside.

Negative people are like the tail, trying to wag the dog but the great majority is the dog, that wags it's tail.

I agree with btk, lets talk about the almost 99% that are happy to be here!.

I love tv and it's myriad of opportunities, to enjoy oneself.
Me too !!!
Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Some people aren't happy even if they get five pickles (the optimal amount) strategically positioned on their cheeseburger.

Kool-Aid pickles
Kool-Aid pickles or "koolickles", enjoyed by children and Villagers in parts of the Southern United States, are created by soaking dill pickles in a mixture of Kool-Aid and pickle brine.
from Wikipedia
Old 07-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage
Default Tags and My happyness

The "tags" for a post are from the Original Post. If you check out the OP, you will see those are all words in that post.

As for me... I've lived here for almost four years and I have totally exceeded my dreams i had of moving here!

This is the best move we made... And I can say honestly, I haven't met a lot of people who weren't happy here. I have met some that didn't give themselves time to meet people and some that hated leaving friends and family "back home". But for us.. We have new friends and life is wonderful.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Some people have a hard time living with themselves, regardless of where they are.. being from a rural lake area of Minnesota, where most people retire to Arizona, the only drawback in TV is where homes are too close together. Our rental in Quail Ridge is at the end of the street, with only one neighbor Carol who is very sweet. From the hot tub we look out on the Lopez golf course..nice!
Welcome to the Villages from the land of 10,000 Nelsons! Uff da!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
The "tags" for a post are from the Original Post. If you check out the OP, you will see those are all words in that post.

As for me... I've lived here for almost four years and I have totally exceeded my dreams i had of moving here!

This is the best move we made... And I can say honestly, I haven't met a lot of people who weren't happy here. I have met some that didn't give themselves time to meet people and some that hated leaving friends and family "back home". But for us.. We have new friends and life is wonderful.
Thank-you
that makes a lot of sense
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, sense, unhappy, politics, world, people, resources, limited, competing, global, wondering, discontent, undercurrent, exists, unrest, village, tvers, disillusionment, living, reality, comments/letters, based, villagers, totv, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.