The Villages from 10,000 feet up

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default The Villages from 10,000 feet up

We were in St Louis for a week - flew back late afternoon by Southwest Air into MCO. Have done that many times, but first to be at a window on right side of plane and very clear out. Plane flew just east of TV and clearly saw our paradiseland from 10K ft up - from north to south. Amazing and so HuuuuGE.

When walking our little pooch at night (we're in Gilchrist) I always see planes/lights in approach to MCO coming from the north and west flying south and east - like they're following 441 south to land at MCO...

It's eyepopping to see us from up high and the ongoing sprawling wonderous beauty of TV from north to south - all the random rooftops, streets, lakes, Centers, golf, etc. I wanted the pilot to slow down more to take it all in, but thought that would be too much to ask...

For those folks in planes lucky enough to see us from up high - bet they said "What the heck is that place down there?"
Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We were in St Louis for a week - flew back late afternoon by Southwest Air into MCO. Have done that many times, but first to be at a window on right side of plane and very clear out. Plane flew just east of TV and clearly saw our paradiseland from 10K ft up - from north to south. Amazing and so HuuuuGE.

When walking our little pooch at night (we're in Gilchrist) I always see planes/lights in approach to MCO coming from the north and west flying south and east - like they're following 441 south to land at MCO...

It's eyepopping to see us from up high and the ongoing sprawling wonderous beauty of TV from north to south - all the random rooftops, streets, lakes, Centers, golf, etc. I wanted the pilot to slow down more to take it all in, but thought that would be too much to ask...

For those folks in planes lucky enough to see us from up high - bet they said "What the heck is that place down there?"

You can probably see this view on Google Earth. Of course, real life is so much better.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You can also get a really nice view from Google Earth, the photos have recently been updated to April 2016. You may have to hit the History button to get the updated photos.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You can also get a really nice view from Google Earth, the photos have recently been updated to April 2016. You may have to hit the History button to get the updated photos.
Did not know about that. When I clicked the icon, the slider was already on the latest imagery. Interesting feature, though.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

The best set of historical photos is in the new Rohan Center. There is one for almost every year going back to the 1980's. A careful review will show how much the Development has altered the landscape, with ponds, plantings (and wood lot clearing) and significant commercial and traffic areas. Most interesting to me are the 2 years showing the creation of "Lake Sumter" by bulldozing out the remains of a peat bog mining area, using the dirt to create the Lake Sumter landing district. If interested, you can also track development over the years of the "Family Compound" on HY 466 East of the polo fields property.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
The best set of historical photos is in the new Rohan Center. There is one for almost every year going back to the 1980's. A careful review will show how much the Development has altered the landscape, with ponds, plantings (and wood lot clearing) and significant commercial and traffic areas. Most interesting to me are the 2 years showing the creation of "Lake Sumter" by bulldozing out the remains of a peat bog mining area, using the dirt to create the Lake Sumter landing district. If interested, you can also track development over the years of the "Family Compound" on HY 466 East of the polo fields property.
I enjoy looking at things from on high and will agree with you on the aerial pictures at Rohan. However, using the Google Earth show historical imagery button displays about the same sequence of pictures. I used Google to examine the ground where my house is now located.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have a flight data app on my smart phone. It shows a little airplane, the from/to...or to/from route, the airline, type of plane, time of departure/arrival, altitude, etc.

I usually check the flights over my house, mostly Southwest, but early AM flights are UPS and FEDEX.

I think I saw you looking out the window.

BTW, Southwest flights are red on the bottom of the plane.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Sage

I wondered what that red-bellied plane was!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

Tags
south, north, mco, plane, high, east, flew, centers, land, eyepopping, streets, lakes, rooftops, wonderous, random, ongoing, sprawling, beauty, bet, lucky, planes, folks, place, heck, slow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.