Watch those rolling stops

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Watch those rolling stops

A friend got a ticket this weekend for not coming to a full stop in his golf cart at the intersection of Panama and Lisbon near Spanish Springs. $166 fine and 3 points on his license. Three cops were nearby out of sight looking for traffic violations. You have been warned...
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

From time to time this is a "gotcha" intersection. People use as a shortcut to SS. Break the law, pay the fine.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

If that is what it takes to make people obey the law, then so be it! Get 'em all.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam

$166 fine and 3 points on the driver license for a golf cart violation seems a bit much? I am wondering if a golf cart is not a registered vehicle how can points be assessed to the golf cart driver. Suppose a bicyclist blew through like they normally do does the cylist get 3 points too and the $166 fine?????
Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM

It's about time.. If you are driving ANYTHING on a public street, obey the law.. I don't feel sorry for anyone getting a ticket for this... it's the law, STOP.....
Old 10-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Suppose a bicyclist blew through like they normally do does the cylist get 3 points too and the $166 fine?????

Good question!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

rolling Stop is not really a stop at all is it?

Nail 'em all. If they think they don't have to stop then they should also think it is OK to be fined if caught.

Book 'em Danno
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

A few days ago we took our cart from Gilchrist to LSL - the second trip up there in the cart, we normally drive. On the way back the path transitioned from a dedicated MM to the golf cart lane on the road. Since there were no cars at the gates, I slowed and made the right. I then heard from the passenger seat "you were supposed to stop...". She said the white vertical post had 'stop' on it. My bad - but, so used to see an actual stop sign. But, now I know. I think.

Yes - that fine mentioned by the OP sure seems excessive, and yes - how can 'points' be assigned? Are they checking bikes for a stop too?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
$166 fine and 3 points on the driver license for a golf cart violation seems a bit much? I am wondering if a golf cart is not a registered vehicle how can points be assessed to the golf cart driver. Suppose a bicyclist blew through like they normally do does the cylist get 3 points too and the $166 fine?????
No,

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Points are only given when operating a motorized vehicle
(i) This subsection does not apply to persons operating a nonmotorized vehicle for which a driver license is not required.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Suppose a bicyclist blew through like they normally do does the cylist get 3 points too and the $166 fine?????
Based on another thread on bicyclist behavior, they should not be fined. It is an Idaho or Ohio stop or something. Their feet are in stirrups and it would be a problem to stop. Just ask them.

Z
Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 PM

A driver license is not required to drive a golf cart on streets that have been designated for golf use.So where do the points come in ? Say my grandson is 14 driving a golf cart blows through a stop sign and gets 3 points on his future license.I don't how that's applicable.Somewhere there is a grey area.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:58 PM

It's a shame that people just don't use common sense and we could have avoided the need for such crack downs but everyone seems to think that they have the right away
Old 10-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
No,

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Points are only given when operating a motorized vehicle
(i) This subsection does not apply to persons operating a nonmotorized vehicle for which a driver license is not required.
Just sounds like another situation where the law needs to be changed!!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 PM

How about when a gate is down and a stop sign is put up on a plastic sawhorse and everyone blows through it like its's not a stop sign.I asked my neighbor who was a sheriff what stop signs are legal and he said all octagon signs are legal it's a international law.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
rolling Stop is not really a stop at all is it?
Nail 'em all. If they think they don't have to stop then they should also think it is OK to be fined if caught. Book 'em Danno
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.