Watch those rolling stops

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM

You must stop at the stop bar painted on the road way and then proceed. Rolling over the stop bar and then stopping is a violation, car or golf cart. If there is a stop sign but no stop bar, you must proceed far enough to see approaching traffic, with the right of way, and then stop.

I stop at the stop bar in my car and my cart. Hope someone stops, where they are supposed to stop and not rear end me, because they don't see any traffic coming. I don't want to spend the rest of my retirement injured or dead. Good for the police enforcing the traffic infractions.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We see infractions nearly every time we're out and about. I think many folks forget their Driver's Ed classes when they get behind the wheel. Signs are there for a reason, laws are made for a reason so if you break the law and get caught the penalty is also for a reason. Being human, we always want to place the blame somewhere else.

Here in T.V., especially when you get to be the size our community is and with ALL the folks from the surrounding area driving our streets--one needs to be vigilant when out and about. I see people buzzing through the yield signs all the time at the circles, people sometimes NOT even slowing down at the stop signs and blowing through. I would say that nearly all the accidents that happen h ere because of not paying attention and not abiding by the law.
So true. I was on 466A this morning around 10:30, going west, and there was a woman in the westbound lanes going east. It looked like she came out of the Colony shopping center and didn't realize the road is divided.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Default Good Closing!! A Safer Life

Hats off to the "POLICE OFFICERS" for doing their jobs... drivers should do theirs by obeying the traffic laws and we would not be having this particular conversation... take it and say you are wrong ... "Not well I guess we need to change another law" To our POLICE OFFICERS THANKS for doing a good job here in The Villages.. Please continue to enforce our traffic laws only good will follow for most of its residents.

A safer life!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Sage

I don't think if you don't ride a bike you will understand my position. When you are on a bike you peddle as if the cars are out to get you. You stop at stop signs when nobody is behind you. Why not? But it's easy to get spooked when you see a car behind you approaching. You need to trust that they will stop but I would rather take my chances with the police and a ticket if the roads ahead are clear. I think it's fair to say that most of us have been in a rear ended collision. In a car that may hurt your car and hurt your neck but on a bike, you don't have a chance.

Just like in golf, it comes down to risks and rewards.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 AM
Sage

A rolling stop is considered blowing through a stop sign by LEO. You have crossed onto a public road and points are to be assessed to your license unless you pay for the driving class and have the points waived, (once every 12 months is allowed). I prefer the police have a presence in neighborhoods preventing thefts, than spend a lot of time issuing tickets, but that's just me. They hide in inconspicuous places and give out tickets by the bushel full. Are we still playing "cowboys and indians"?

Are the police just generating revenues? Everyone believes in public safety and it is needed in some cases.

I received a ticket and felt like I was treated as public enemy one. People do make mistakes!!! For those who have never received a ticket, it's only a matter of time, and then you might get more sympathic, to one's fate. GOD bless those who will never break the law as they seem to be perfect. Last time I looked, my picture was not in the post office.

Until then, I will su*k it up, and move on with my life.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Anybody seen the carts that have spinner caps just like you can get for your car? They do make a cart appear to still be moving forward. Definately not putting them on our cart.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stdole View Post
Hats off to the "POLICE OFFICERS" for doing their jobs... drivers should do theirs by obeying the traffic laws and we would not be having this particular conversation... take it and say you are wrong ... "Not well I guess we need to change another law" To our POLICE OFFICERS THANKS for doing a good job here in The Villages.. Please continue to enforce our traffic laws only good will follow for most of its residents.

A safer life!
I don't think there can be enough police presence relative to traffic, especially this time of the year.

Watching people just ignoring speed limts, etc. leads me to think we have not enough police presence.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
No,

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Points are only given when operating a motorized vehicle
(i) This subsection does not apply to persons operating a nonmotorized vehicle for which a driver license is not required.
Hi blueash: One thing that caught my eye while reading through the statue is section316.1933 wherein revocation can occur if the accident results in death personal injury or property damage of $500. $500 damage to a vehicle now a days is a ding on the quarter panel. Many states moved to $2500 and above

Further both with golf carts and bicycles death personal injury or property damage can occur. So I am confused and not intending to be argumentative but as one poster articulated well kids driving golf carts do not have licenses. Yet many golf cart drivers do as do bicyclist. And bicyclist can do well over 20 mph.

It would seem that if LOE are going to be intent on making sure golf cart drivers come to a stop with all four wheels for at least three seconds then they should be as intent to make certain that bicyclist come to a full three second stop and the cop only has to watch two wheels. In my humble view there needs to be a reassessment along these lines

You might have read in today's paper that two Florida residents are suing America Traffic solutions concerning red camera placements and instructions. The red camera at intersections are controversial not only because they actually increase rear end collisions but because they can be manipulated to capture more people and hence more revenue .

the common sense solutions for avoiding accidents is to allow two more second delay of the caution light but that won't bring in more revenue.

Most people are not against LOE active enforcement they just wish that they would fairly or if you will fairly discriminate among all offenders and not NOT exercise enforcement solely for revenue. As barefoot so aptly states experiencing that Waldo moment
Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I guess we should all be happy that our LEO's have nothing better to do than give tickets to golf carts rolling through a stop sign on a little traveled residential street. I suspect they were only there, due to someone complaining in that area.

How often do you see a LEO make a full stop at a stop sign? I don't see it happen very often... It also amazes me how little they [LEO's] use their turn signals, even when making turns from busy intersections, like 466a and BV.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 PM

Ok, my wife was driving down Alandari Ln this afternoon. She came to a stop at English Ivy Cir. Next thing she knows there is a motorcycle deputy pulling her over. The deputy told her that she stopped at the stop sign but it wasn't long enough. He didn't state it was a rolling stop. It was just not long enough. How long is not long enough? I believe that if you break the law you should pay the penalty but when the deputy told my wife that she did stop then where is the violation? At that point it makes it clear to me that it is quota for the month and entrapment and not enforcement. Should we go to court? We know that the fine is $166 and 3 points. If we lose or win what are the court costs? Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
The deputy told her that she stopped at the stop sign but it wasn't long enough. He didn't state it was a rolling stop.
What was the charge written on the ticket?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
What was the charge written on the ticket?
The charge that was written was " ran stop sign ". But as I said before he said she did stop.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Ok, my wife was driving down Alandari Ln this afternoon. She came to a stop at English Ivy Cir. Next thing she knows there is a motorcycle deputy pulling her over. The deputy told her that she stopped at the stop sign but it wasn't long enough. He didn't state it was a rolling stop. It was just not long enough. How long is not long enough? I believe that if you break the law you should pay the penalty but when the deputy told my wife that she did stop then where is the violation? At that point it makes it clear to me that it is quota for the month and entrapment and not enforcement. Should we go to court? We know that the fine is $166 and 3 points. If we lose or win what are the court costs? Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.
I would contact the Elected Sheriff, not the deputy, and ask him to void the ticket and educate the deputy regarding stop signs.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
Recommendations?. I think that the wife was mistaken that the deputy told her that she didn't stop long enough but by all means, use your right to go to court and present her side of the incident.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

How many Mississippi's did she count? Maybe Florida is a 5 Mississippi state and not 4.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.