Waygu Beef

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Pa & Giggi;1152063]If you do a bit of research you will know that 80% of our pork is sent to out of the country to be processed however there is some controversy over Ratopatomene which is made by one of the big phama companies. China in the past has refused to process Tyson's pork because of the ractopamene in the pork which is banned in their country. It is also banned in Russia. I am not a bleeding heart, nor a member of PETA, however when I first heard of this on Dr. Oz and did a bit of reading on this I decided I didn't want to eat it in my pork. You can each make your own decisions, its your body.
QUOTE]

Would you provide a link for this information? Meanwhile read this;

High on the Hog : snopes.com
Old 11-28-2015, 07:24 PM

Tyson Foods looks for other pork export markets after China ban | Reuters

Chicken from China? Your Seafood is Already Being Processed There | Food Safety News

Gracie, you can start reading these links, I will continue to find more if you like. There are plenty. As for the link stating 80% of the pork, I am searching for that link and will continue t search, however if you read the above three links, I think you will get the idea.

This post was just to say I liked the meat from Pasture Prime, not to attack anyone. I did my research and these are my beliefs. If you disagree I am not asking you to buy meat from this farmer, just go your own way.

Last edited by Pa & Giggi; 11-28-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
Tyson Foods looks for other pork export markets after China ban | Reuters

Chicken from China? Your Seafood is Already Being Processed There | Food Safety News

Gracie, you can start reading these links, I will continue to find more if you like. There are plenty. As for the link stating 80% of the pork, I am searching for that link and will continue t search, however if you read the above three links, I think you will get the idea.

This post was just to say I liked the meat from Pasture Prime, not to attack anyone. I did my research and these are my beliefs. If you disagree I am not asking you to buy meat from this farmer, just go your own way.

I do. Just not that interested. Satisfied with the stuff from Publix. I don't really care what anyone else eats. I enjoy food, love to cook and do a fairly good job serving pretty well balanced meals.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I do. Just not that interested. Satisfied with the stuff from Publix. I don't really care what anyone else eats. I enjoy food, love to cook and do a fairly good job serving pretty well balanced meals.

Correction. From what I hear. Gourmet meals.

I hope you and your family had a fabulous Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Gold member

I wonder how I am still alive eating all those 'dirty water dogs" at least once a week, from the NYC hot dog stands. Could not resist them over 40 years working there, especially with the red onions and mustard. Also all that Chinese Pork, beef and shrimp from Chinatown Restaurants. It is a wonder I am still standing.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
If you do a bit of research you will know that 80% of our pork is sent to out of the country to be processed however there is some controversy over Ratopatomene which is made by one of the big phama companies. China in the past has refused to process Tyson's pork because of the ractopamene in the pork which is banned in their country. It is also banned in Russia. I am not a bleeding heart, nor a member of PETA, however when I first heard of this on Dr. Oz and did a bit of reading on this I decided I didn't want to eat it in my pork. You can each make your own decisions, its your body.
My meats are frozen solid when I pick them up on Sat morning and I get there around 9:00 and they are in my freezer by 9:30. To defrost I simply soak in cold water as the bags are sealed. So easy.
To each their own.
Pa & Giggi:

I'll make book that the real reason behind Russia and China refusing these products is strictly political
Old 11-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I recall one of my favorite columnist, Erma Bombeck lamenting about how just a few minutes before the Titanic went down some women actually waved off the dessert cart.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Pa & Giggi:

I'll make book that the real reason behind Russia and China refusing these products is strictly political

Most of the time I just like what you type but sometimes I could just hug you.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Wagyu Misnomer

This name reminds me of jug wines sold in years past calling them Burgandy, Chablis and nothing to do with the original names. Wa translates to Japan and gyu is cow but mainly was synonymous to beef produced in Kobe, Matsuzaka and few other places in Japan. It was how "shimofuri" or fat was created in the meat produced. French finally told the French as well as the world to call Champagne only from the bottles produced in that area and not just any bubbly. Unfortunately Japanese was late in controlling the name "wagyu". If you tasted the real one you'll know the difference and the price to match. Brownwood wagyu is not one of them.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM

Thanks to all that replied to my post.
Well, I finally took the plunge and bought their beef at Brownwood. I wanted rib eye but all they had was NY Strip. It was the toughest steak I had ever encountered. For the price they charge I expected it to melt in my mouth. Never again! I may try the bacon, but the $12.50 lb. is a bit much for my budget.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage

The meat in Brownwood is frozen & its cut too thin for a tasty , tender piece of meat; also, no grass fed grazed meat be it cattle or lamb can be as tender as grain fed meat. look into the meat--if you can't see any marbling-it will not be tasty & tender.

Again-I tried the meat in Brownwood-the ground beef was OK, just OK--the steaks were way to thin for mw.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Pa & Giggi:

What about the other 158 countries?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Sage

We've been buying ground beef, ground pork, pork chops, sometimes a flank steak, homemade soap, and other items from this vendor even before they were at Brownwood.
The ground beef is delicious and juicy. The flank steak we bought fantastic, but very expensive. They don't have them very often. The pork chops are excellent!

If you cook their meats as you do other meats you buy, you will very easily overcook them and they will be tough and dry. Ask Torm or his father just how to cook the meat. We were initially cooking cuts a tad too long. One method they like for their steaks is a hot cast iron skillet heated to super hot....
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debow View Post
What type of grill do you have that can reach 800 degrees. I've been looking for one that can grill at high temps but most are around 450 degrees.
I have a Weber Genesis with a sear station that easily reaches 800 degrees.

They are a little more pricey, but we had our last Weber for 25 years, and sold it for $100 before we moved here. The buyer was delighted with his score!
Closed Thread

Tags
waygu, beef, market, taste, fresh, publix, scared, meat, tempted, sold, farmers, brownwood, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.