What is the snake population like in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Default What is the snake population like in TV?

I was following a recent post on mice in barbecue pits and someone mentioned finding a snake in theirs. Has anyone else had a snake encounter? What type of snakes are common to TV? Should I be nervous, or only if I live near water?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Probably no more than you would see along the Blanchard river!

Here are a few previous threads on this topic.
Snakes in the garage
coral snake
Snake ID?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Most of the snakes here are harmless. Black racers are the most common. To me, anything that eats mice and rats is a good thing, so I love seeing a snake near my house. They keep the vermin away. That being said, I don't think there are that many here, considering we live in Florida with lots of ponds around us.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

almost everyone that i know has seen one at one time or another in their yard. black racers eat rodents, and keep poisonous snakes away (snakes are territorial). we have lots of shrubbery and the snakes like that environment. i welcome them to reside in my yard. and my cat finds them fascinating to watch from her vantage point on the lanai.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Gold member

Have never seen one here. Am careful to keep all screen doors and garage door closed, and have nothing they'd like to eat on or around the patio. The dense population of people and dogs probably scares them away.

I would never go looking for a golf ball in the rough.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

almost any discussion of snakes here in TV is about equal to the same subject back home....no matter where it happens to be.

Just because it is warmer here more of the year does not mean we get more.....maybe....a big MAYBE is because there is more of the year to see or find one.

Snakes in FL are a non issue/event.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It's rare to see a snake. We've been here about 28 months and have seen a snake about half a dozen times. There is a 3 ft long black racer that lives under a rock near our neighbors house. We see him every once in a while.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Glad to know everyone is calm about seeing a 3 foot snake. Poisonous or not, snakes scare the beejeezits out of me. If I get one in my yard, you are all welcome to adopt it. I will promise, however, not to kill it...or get near it.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
almost any discussion of snakes here in TV is about equal to the same subject back home....no matter where it happens to be.

Just because it is warmer here more of the year does not mean we get more.....maybe....a big MAYBE is because there is more of the year to see or find one.

Snakes in FL are a non issue/event.
I'm unable to think of another state that has Burmese Pythons. They do seem to be moving north, so maybe in a few years they will be in The Villages on their way to Georgia.
Are Florida Pythons On The Move toward Georgia? | OutdoorWriter.net
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Read the python link. That sure made me feel more secure.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Sage

Most common are the Eastern ribbon snake and the black racer. Both are non-venomous and good to have around.

There are quite a few pygmy rattlesnakes in the tall grasses on the golf courses in low laying areas. They are venomous but not deadly by any means. They can and do kill dogs that get too close.

You will find some but not many water moccasins and coral snakes on a rare occasion.

Burmese pythons have been found in Hillsborough County less than 100 miles away from The Villages.

Do not be scared of snakes here. You will probably not see them - but they will see you.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

we have seen 2 dead corn snakes - a live garter snake and recently a yellow ring neck snake. i have heard if you have anoles, you don't have snakes, the snakes eat them.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

All I have seen are very tolerant of us invading their area. Note they are very fast and can out run senior citizens.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

While I have not seen any, TV is an area within the southeastern U. S. where water moccasins (cottonmouth) live.
Although no one may not have seen any, be aware that they definitely are around here.
They are poisonous!
They thrive in marshy areas and lakes/ ponds, etc.

In addition, snakes love to hide in pampas grass and similar type grasses.
Residents who have planted these grasses close to their home need to be aware
that snakes love to slither in and out of these plants and hide in them.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
almost everyone that i know has seen one at one time or another in their yard. black racers eat rodents, and keep poisonous snakes away (snakes are territorial). we have lots of shrubbery and the snakes like that environment. i welcome them to reside in my yard. and my cat finds them fascinating to watch from her vantage point on the lanai.
We have a small family of snakes living under our air conditioner. I don't mind snakes. The Pest Control people said "Leave them alone" and we do. We rarely see them and have no mice or rats.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.