Why! Don't people use blinker lights

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Gold member
Default My dad taught me to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
My grandfather taught me to drive. He did an excellent job. For example I am driving down a street, he puts his hand over the rear view mirror and asks me how many cars are behind me, lesson USE YOUR MIRRORS. He taught me ALWAYS use turn signals, I still use these at 2 am in the morning going into our driveway, he would give me heck if I made a turn without using signals. He always told me to expect the unexpected and to ALWAYS have an OUT while you are driving. This advice was invaluable, and unfortunately I have had to use to way too many times in TV.

Golf cart turning LEFT from the GC lane, signals, in front of my car, you must be kidding. Twice in 2 years!!

Idiot in opposing lane stopped to allow GC to cross MM path, just missed having a GC as a hood ornament. PEOPLE, ONLY UNIFORMED OFFICIALS ARE ALLOWED TO DIRECT TRAFFIC.

I cannot count the number of times I have seen people changing lanes in the roundabouts, enter from right lane, go into the center lane in roundabout, then exit to right lane....

And please do not get me started on running RED lights......

Just venting, thank you...............
Simple guide-expect the other driver to do the stupidest possible thing for that is exactly what they will do.

As to signaling-it cost you nothing to do so. It lets others around you know what you intend to do. As others have teased-for me when I see a driver signaling I wait until they have started the turn. Here, even once they start a turn they often change their mind.
As to the roundabouts. READ the traffic rules. It is legal to make a rt turn from the left land. It may be legal BUT IT IS STUPID and there is no need to do it.

Oh, and you can SAFELY ASSume the other driver has not read the rule book in years.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Simple guide-expect the other driver to do the stupidest possible thing for that is exactly what they will do.

As to signaling-it cost you nothing to do so. It lets others around you know what you intend to do. As others have teased-for me when I see a driver signaling I wait until they have started the turn. Here, even once they start a turn they often change their mind.
As to the roundabouts. READ the traffic rules. It is legal to make a rt turn from the left land. It may be legal BUT IT IS STUPID and there is no need to do it.

Oh, and you can SAFELY ASSume the other driver has not read the rule book in years.
actually that makes you dangerous. virtually anytime you enter the circle to go 3/4 of the way around you are supposed to turn right from the center (left) lane. the only signal required is when you are exiting.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Ricky, when I enter a roundabout in the left lane with the intention of continuing on straight, I always use my signal at the point I "turn right" to go straight. I do this to let the car behind me to the right, and the driver impatiently entering the circle to my right, know just where I am going. Even when I signal, I'm still cautious.
It's good that you are cautious when you signal because that signal would confuse the heck out of me.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
It's good that you are cautious when you signal because that signal would confuse the heck out of me.
Not sure I'd be so eager to admit that.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Not sure I'd be so eager to admit that.
It's true....no need for directionals in the RABs. I always assume any car in RAB is going to leave the RAB at the next exit. I do not need a directional to alert me to a driver's intention to exit a RAB. Most of the time the darn blinker has been on for who knows how long. I do not trust directionals in RABs or when I'm at a stop sign for that matter.

I drive very defensively, especially in TV RABs. I also never drive in a RAB with any car next to me. I always very my speed so as not to be next to another driver. You just never know what they will do.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Sage
Default Why! Don't people use blinker lights

Quote:
It's true....no need for directionals in the RABs. I always assume any car in RAB is going to leave the RAB at the next exit. I do not need a directional to alert me to a driver's intention to exit a RAB. Most of the time the darn blinker has been on for who knows how long. I do not trust directionals in RABs or when I'm at a stop sign for that matter.

I drive very defensively, especially in TV RABs. I also never drive in a RAB with any car next to me. I always very my speed so as not to be next to another driver. You just never know what they will do.
Just kinda joshing you a little.

I even...to a degree...agree that signals in roundabouts are of minimal value. Although I'm not confused when I see them...heheh. Like you, I simply don't depend on them to predict a driver's actions.

The reason I somewhat agree with you about signals is that I very much agree with you about NEVER driving next to another car in a RAB. If that rule is followed, turn signals are of minimal value and not really necessary.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 02-19-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

I always use my blinker and sometimes I use my arm and sometimes I use one finger.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:

Last edited by bagboy; 02-19-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You must drive on different highways than me? Ok I may have over estimated. I'll up it to 50%, IMO no where near 90%.

I guess you don't get it. The bend in the road has exit. It's the ones TURNING (exiting) not using they're Blinker lights. If there going straight through they're not turning (exiting) the round about.

Don't tell me you haven't been waiting to enter round about and single right lane car just turns or behind traffic stopped and left lane clear but single right lane just turns when everybody assuming he's going straight. We assume that cause no blinker light was used.
I get what you are saying, and it would be helpful BUT I don't think I would trust the signal light anyway. I ha e been behind more cars and carts here that leave their signal light on unintentionally that I no longer trust them. I don't recall living anywhere else where that was such an issue.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I think I know the reason (at least one of them) for the lack of turn signal use.
There appears to be NO consequences (tickets, or warnings) for not using these.
I have seen several instances of people not using signals, when there was a policeman is a position to see the infraction, nothing done.
Unfortunately, I have also observed the police not using turn signals, the capper was the Sumter County officer that made 2 rights and 2 lefts in front of me without ever using a signal. I have also seen this with EMS vehicles.
So I guess if the general population sees the enforcement personnel not using signals, why should they?

As I stated before I always try to use signals, yes I do forget once in a while, but I have actually gone a block or 2 out of my way, if there was someone behind me and I forgot to signal. I would rather be safe then sorry.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I always use my blinker and sometimes I use my arm and sometimes I use one finger.
Oh my!

That last one!

Do you signal the low-key way, from inside the car?

Or do you roll down the window and signal loud and clear, over the roof-top?

Or do you have a convenient sun roof?

Uh........never mind.....just wondering......no reason, no reason...........

Bird-of-a-Feather Boomer
Old 02-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Sage

Almost thinking about getting a marine hailer & having mounted behind my grill-will have lots of fun telling how close some people come to filling their death wish
Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Good one!

Tags
traffic, blinker, time, roundabout, lights, lane, idiot, mine, exit, majority, intend, feel, join, flow, guess, benifits, accidents, prevent, point, left, crowd, delay, light, equipment, standard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.