Why I love YouTube Tutorials......

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Sage
Default Why I love YouTube Tutorials...And 2 Heating Questions...

Here is a tutorial on my thermostat:
Programming the Edge Thermostat
Some people learn how to program something and remember it for life. Not me. I need these little "cheat sheet" videos.

I wonder if there is one for my sprinkler system....
[OK i edited my post already because I just found another tutorial for my sprinkler The Hunter ProC Irrigation Controller This is part 1 of a 4 part series]

Heating Questions:
1] Do you leave your fan on all the time to even out heating as recommended in the video?
I'm thinking the extra money spent to run the fan will be more then offset by even heating.

2] I have 2 extra bedrooms on one side of the house that are rarely occupied.
Should I close the vents and the pocket door leading into the great room to cut costs? Or it doesn't exactly work that way so it doesn't matter.

thank-you in advance
Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Hunter Industries have several tutorials on their website for their products. I don't know about the other irrigation manufacturers. Most all are simular in operation.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Hunter Industries have several tutorials on their website for their products. I don't know about the other irrigation manufacturers. Most all are simular in operation.
I edited my post. It only took a minute or two to find the make and model of my sprinkler system, search in YouTube and come up with a video tutorial for that system too. Ain't life Grand.

thank-you
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

In reguards to your heating inquiries I know our thermostat runs the fan for two minutes after a heat or cooling cycle. We also have a split floor plan and I considered putting louvers in our pocket door. We don't have many houseguests so far, so we just leave it open. Some thermostats have a remote sensor option that can be placed in a second bedroom for temperature averaging.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
In reguards to your heating inquiries I know our thermostat runs the fan for two minutes after a heat or cooling cycle. We also have a split floor plan and I considered putting louvers in our pocket door. We don't have many houseguests so far, so we just leave it open. Some thermostats have a remote sensor option that can be placed in a second bedroom for temperature averaging.
not only do we leave the heat-AC fan on continuous we have ceiling fans that I don't think have been turned off since we moved in 10 years ago. It does make a difference in the distribution of the ambient heated or cooled air.

Most heat and air conditioning systems were installed and balanced with all rooms open.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Here is a tutorial on my thermostat:
Programming the Edge Thermostat
Some people learn how to program something and remember it for life. Not me. I need these little "cheat sheet" videos.

I wonder if there is one for my sprinkler system....
[OK i edited my post already because I just found another tutorial for my sprinkler The Hunter ProC Irrigation Controller This is part 1 of a 4 part series]

Heating Questions:
1] Do you leave your fan on all the time to even out heating as recommended in the video?
I'm thinking the extra money spent to run the fan will be more then offset by even heating.

2] I have 2 extra bedrooms on one side of the house that are rarely occupied.
Should I close the vents and the pocket door leading into the great room to cut costs? Or it doesn't exactly work that way so it doesn't matter.

thank-you in advance
Did not mention second clock in sprinkler timer behind main panel.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Did not mention second clock in sprinkler timer behind main panel.
you lost me
The thermostat tutorial helped me get the heat on.

Truth be told, since the sprinkler tutorial looked like mine, and was from Hunter, I was thinking that when I did need to play with the controls, that would help too. My house is 1 year old. Are you saying the video will not help me when I need it to because it did not mention a second clock?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Truth be told, since the sprinkler tutorial looked like mine, and was from Hunter, I was thinking that when I did need to play with the controls, that would help too. My house is 1 year old. Are you saying the video will not help me when I need it to because it did not mention a second clock?
What he's saying is be sure to watch the videos for the Hunter Solar Sync, which is the device located behind the Pro-C controller.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Sage

You tube tutorials rock!!!

Fixed my toilet and saved a$120. I was amazed to find a tutorial on this subject!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

I love youtube on my smart TV. Learned how to cut my hair, turn off my engine light, change my transmission fluid, wire my lamp post and tons of other stuff. It's good for reviews and funny clips from late night TV.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
You tube tutorials rock!!!

Fixed my toilet and saved a$120. I was amazed to find a tutorial on this subject!
That's just it. You don't need to be a "know it all" any more or ask for help most times. There always seems to be someone out there that knows how to do it or fix it and felt obliged to video it and share. It's the internet at it's best.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

Found it very handy to start my Stihl chainsaw. Told to settings of the start lever.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Gold member

When my very expensive, meant to last a lifetime, KitchenAid mixer started sputtering just in time for Thanksgiving, we turned to youtube.

This of course, was after calling KitchenAid and learning that my mixer is out of warranty and will need to go to Orlando for a bench fee of $90 to determine how much it will cost to actually repair it.

Ordered parts on Amazon. No fix. Not the "usual" worm gear problem. Ordered the 2nd batch of parts and will resume this little project after Turkey Day. Very frustrating that a $400 mixer is a POC but we are grateful for the guys who generously give of their time to put the fix it videos out there for the rest of us. They are life savers!!

But don't buy a KitchenAid thinking it will be a mixer that will last a lifetime. My mom's from the 50's still works great. But that's made in The USA with all metal parts.

Sorry...I digress. I think it's the steam coming out of my ears......
Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
When my very expensive, meant to last a lifetime, KitchenAid mixer started sputtering just in time for Thanksgiving, we turned to youtube.

This of course, was after calling KitchenAid and learning that my mixer is out of warranty and will need to go to Orlando for a bench fee of $90 to determine how much it will cost to actually repair it.

Ordered parts on Amazon. No fix. Not the "usual" worm gear problem. Ordered the 2nd batch of parts and will resume this little project after Turkey Day. Very frustrating that a $400 mixer is a POC but we are grateful for the guys who generously give of their time to put the fix it videos out there for the rest of us. They are life savers!!

But don't buy a KitchenAid thinking it will be a mixer that will last a lifetime. My mom's from the 50's still works great. But that's made in The USA with all metal parts.

Sorry...I digress. I think it's the steam coming out of my ears......
I use to be a shop teacher. If I can help you, I will. I'm guessing you didn't find a youtube match with the problem yet? If you send me the model number and describe the problem I'll poke around the net.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Gold member

Thanks, Tomwed.

Since the worm gear didnt do the trick, we will order a speed control board and a sensor module and play with it again before Christmas.

At least my emergency hand mixer got us through Thanksgiving.

If Bill has problems after replacing these other 2 parts. We may PM you for help!

Thanks so much for offering!! It's good to have " skills"!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.