Will someone please explain to me......

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Seat saving isn't going to stop period. Even IF it was a law it would be broken. As for the minimum wage workers at the squares, they answer questions and give directions period. Here's a question for all those doubting them. Would you confront someone who was saving seats and probably consuming beverages of choice ? Probably not. If you think the rules or enforcement should change then attend the welcome Wednesday meeting or call the District offices to complain. The workers are NOT supposed to get involved period. If there was a serious event they would call the PD.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Their making minimum wage and it's hot. Or in the working man's parlance, " good enough for government work " [emoji15]
And yet, it sounds like they are overpaid.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The response to the numerous complaints about seat saving is the pre-recorded announcement that is made prior to every show. Now we need to complain that no one listens to the announcement or they listen and ignore it.
as a frequent spectator at all 3 squares....I can tell you...that the answer to that statement is "NO".

Sometimes the spectators will not even stop there loud conversations when the performers are entertaining.

So unless they make a recording extending the "happy hour" no one is really listening. Sad but true....
Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Seat saving isn't going to stop period. Even IF it was a law it would be broken. As for the minimum wage workers at the squares, they answer questions and give directions period. Here's a question for all those doubting them. Would you confront someone who was saving seats and probably consuming beverages of choice ? Probably not. If you think the rules or enforcement should change then attend the welcome Wednesday meeting or call the District offices to complain. The workers are NOT supposed to get involved period. If there was a serious event they would call the PD.
If the developer authorized me to enforce the no seat saving policy, I would gladly confront anyone saving seats. I'm willing to take one for the team. I would work a shift for free! But I would have to have the developer's blessing.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
If the developer authorized me to enforce the no seat saving policy, I would gladly confront anyone saving seats. I'm willing to take one for the team. I would work a shift for free! But I would have to have the developer's blessing.
Thank goodness that will never happen. Don't need vigilantes at the square and watch everything turn into a brawl.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBoo54 View Post
Not to open the old wound, but why not just stop providing chairs.
I've never been able to understand that line of reasoning.
It's a retirement community.
Not everyone is able bodied enough to tote chairs from the parking lot.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Who would those two guys be? Police officers? It isn't a law, so they can't enforce it. It is a rule of conduct, expected but not enforceable. You can't arrest someone for their selfish and impolite and uncaring behavior. The company that is in charge is the Entertainment Company. The squares belong to The Villages who seem to have an unspoken attitude that we are all adults and should act like adults.

I think....that there is no one who is going to try to move someone's stuff off the seats. I think that is a reality. I think we need to find something else to **** us off that we can do something about.
Actually, the seats and, I think, the squares are owned by the developer. Thus, the policy can be enforced.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Thank goodness that will never happen. Don't need vigilantes at the square and watch everything turn into a brawl.
How would working for the developer to enforce his policies on his private property constitute vigilantism?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
How would working for the developer to enforce his policies on his private property constitute vigilantism?
It just scares me in this day and age when someone says "I would gladly confront anyone" and I would do it for free.
Can't imagine anything good would come out of that scenario
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=Bonny;1256176]It just scares me in this day and age when someone says "I would gladly confront anyone" and I would do it for free.
Can't imagine anything good would come out of that scenario[/QUOTE]

Likely, after two or three challenges to these seat savers, and, if necessary, subsequent arrests by police for assault against the authorized "ambassador", and subsequent trespass notification to the seat saver by the developer, the seat saving would all but disappear. I bet if you were being bullied/attacked in a parking lot, you would hope someone would "gladly confront" that person on your behalf. I think you would be surprised how different these bullies would respond to someone with authority (a simple "The Villages Staff" polo shirt)...and maybe some mace for backup (teehee).
Old 07-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Eternal Member

[QUOTE=outlaw;1256229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
It just scares me in this day and age when someone says "I would gladly confront anyone" and I would do it for free.
Can't imagine anything good would come out of that scenario[/QUOTE]

Likely, after two or three challenges to these seat savers, and, if necessary, subsequent arrests by police for assault against the authorized "ambassador", and subsequent trespass notification to the seat saver by the developer, the seat saving would all but disappear. I bet if you were being bullied/attacked in a parking lot, you would hope someone would "gladly confront" that person on your behalf. I think you would be surprised how different these bullies would respond to someone with authority (a simple "The Villages Staff" polo shirt)...and maybe some mace for backup (teehee).
Attacked in a parking lot is just slightly different than someone saving a seat for a friend.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

As I said in my first post, if seat saving is prohibited, then enforce it. Otherwise quit the announcement. Too many times--and I know many have seen it too, that seats are saved and no one sits in them all night. At a certain time if no one is there these guys should remove
Cushions, ribbons, etc--but they don't ! As far as calling the police, l too have a cell phone and can call them if a ruckus breaks out.
Problem is, they do nothing that I can see including the safety of spectators or performers. Shameful.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 07-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

Every time this subject comes up it veers into the "what if..." world with lots of reasons for the no seat saving rule not be be enforced.
By this logic nobody should ever stop shoplifters. What if they have a gun? What if they have a starving baby at home? What if they accidentally put the item in their pocket and aren't really stealing?

Personally, I have no problem with 2-cushion savers. It's the whole roped off 6-12 seat sections that get me.
Anyway... after announcement one half-hour before show time just have the on-site staff (who are already there) gather up ropes and tapes. Do this a few times and it will stop.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Pretty simple really the ones opposed are seat savers. End of story.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Sage
Default Will someone please explain to me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
...the no seat saving rule not be be enforced.
By this logic nobody should ever stop shoplifters...
I also tire of this topic, but your logic is the logic that fails...

One is against the law. The other is not.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 07-19-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
seat, saving, fire, people, guys

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.