I need help and can't decide what to do

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2014, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the many replies. I kind of thought a revisit was necessary. TV realtor Angie Wilder took me to a new house and she said the yearly common area fee was $5000 per year. I even said what and she repeated it. Unless I misunderstood what she said, that was my understanding. It was 3 bedroom, 3 car garage, about $300,000 home.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
Thanks for the many replies. I kind of thought a revisit was necessary. TV realtor Angie Wilder took me to a new house and she said the yearly common area fee was $5000 per year. I even said what and she repeated it. Unless I misunderstood what she said, that was my understanding. It was 3 bedroom, 3 car garage, about $300,000 home.
That sounds more like the total bill for property tax plus maintenance fees, etc.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
I did the lifestyle visit, my luck it rained and was cold all three days. So I couldn't use the golf cart much. I did look at houses for sale with two different realtors. I thought for Florida homes they were overpriced but it is what it is. I live in Florida now in the winter, I am a recent widower, over 55 but not ancient. I am in excellent health so far and I am very active. I thought TV might fill the gap for my free time. But I just didn't get the fuzzy feeling about the place from my visit. I didn't notice friendly people while I was there. Maybe it was the cold weather.

I think I need to return for another visit. I thought TV looked like Atlantis, so I listed my home in Florida before I did the life style visit. Now I am not sure.

I looked at new and used homes. The new ones had the 30K bond, 134 entertainment but also had a 5000 annual fee for common area maintenance. Didn't like that at all. This info is from the realtor.

I stayed by Sumter Square and I was looking forward to the bands, but the weather didn't cooperate. After I left TV a friend said there is a nice bar in Sumter where lots of singles meet and greet. Wish I new that earlier.

Having regular showings on my house and I am getting nervous that it will sell and I don't have a place yet.

All my friends and relatives keep giving me different suggestions of what I should do. I am confused. I would like to kick this around and respectfully digest any other opinions. What most people that know me do not understand is that my life is different now and I want to do what is best for me.
Since you are a recent widower, I would not make a major decision until you are sure, of what you really want. You need to slow down and allow yourself to think things through, clearly.

You can always take your home off the market and come down and rent for a month. A three day visit is not enough time for some people, to make such a big decision.

You need to do more research on what it is you want in a home, and what is affordable to you. Make a list of what you want, as opposed to what you can live with, and not be a deal breaker. There are a lot of decisions to be made even after one has researched this place for a while.

You need to do what is comfortable for you and allows you to sleep at night.

Take deep breaths!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I just looked at a new home off Hillsborough that is listed at $226K. The yearly tax bill is $2100 for the bond, $2700 for taxes and $500 for maintenance. Of course if you have homestead you get $25K off the tax base for each person, and in my case I get a deducation for a VA disability. That realtor must of meant your entire bill when they said $5,000.

On our 3 year old masonry CYV our bond is $1100, Taxes about $1800 and maintenance about $450, after our deducations we actually pay $2650 total.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Gold member
Default email your realtor

I too think you misunderstood. Ask your realtor for specifics.

If you pay off the bond, or buy a resale with the bond paid off, the only bond left on the tax bill is the annual maintenance bond - depends on the CDD you live in and the type neighborhood (bonds are based on density of housing - e.g., bond for villas much less than for designers, which are less than premiers).

Our maintenance bond, for a Courtyard Villa in CDD 6 ) built around 2006, is somewhere around $300. Our total tax bill this year, for one of the smaller 3 bedroom Courtyard villas, including the maintenance bond, was under $1600 (for the year). We paid off the regular bond about 4 years ago and we also have the homestead exemption as we are Florida residents.

I have lived in several states and I think the cost of living here is low. I came from Ohio the last time, not one of the super high cost-of living states like NY or NJ. We pay about $500 more in yearly taxes for our small condo in Columbus worth less than half of our CYV.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I would suggest if you are a recent widower give it some time before making any big decisions such as relocating to a new community. How much time, I do not know, but please allow yourself sufficient time to adjust to your new circumstances.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-26-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
If she said that, she was wrong. The annual maintenance fee is about $500. The monthly amenities fees are about $145.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
If she said that, she was wrong. The annual maintenance fee is about $500. The monthly amenities fees are about $145.
That makes more sense, maybe she thought $500 and said $5000, but I did ask her to repeat it. I'll be back when it warms up and get the numbers straight. Thanks for all the replies and personal responses.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Caldwellnm@aol.com

Don't let a couple days of rain and cool weather scare you away. My husband and I love it here... we moved from Michigan. You will find all the friendly people you want at any recreation center or group you care to visit. Come on down...
Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
I did the lifestyle visit, my luck it rained and was cold all three days. So I couldn't use the golf cart much. I did look at houses for sale with two different realtors. I thought for Florida homes they were overpriced but it is what it is. I live in Florida now in the winter, I am a recent widower, over 55 but not ancient. I am in excellent health so far and I am very active. I thought TV might fill the gap for my free time. But I just didn't get the fuzzy feeling about the place from my visit. I didn't notice friendly people while I was there. Maybe it was the cold weather.

I think I need to return for another visit. I thought TV looked like Atlantis, so I listed my home in Florida before I did the life style visit. Now I am not sure.

I looked at new and used homes. The new ones had the 30K bond, 134 entertainment but also had a 5000 annual fee for common area maintenance. Didn't like that at all. This info is from the realtor.

I stayed by Sumter Square and I was looking forward to the bands, but the weather didn't cooperate. After I left TV a friend said there is a nice bar in Sumter where lots of singles meet and greet. Wish I new that earlier.

Having regular showings on my house and I am getting nervous that it will sell and I don't have a place yet.

All my friends and relatives keep giving me different suggestions of what I should do. I am confused. I would like to kick this around and respectfully digest any other opinions. What most people that know me do not understand is that my life is different now and I want to do what is best for me.
I agree with everything the other posters have said..my only comment is that at 55 only you will know what's best for you. While your friends have your well being in mind, and are trying to be helpful, they have no skin in the game if their advice leads you in the wrong direction. Do the rentals, check other communities and do all the stuff to make your decision.....you are the only one that has to live with the decision.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Do what feels right

My mom couldn't bear to live in the place in Fort Myers she and dad had bought for retirement after he passed. She felt so much better after she sold it and moved. She banked the money from selling the place and rented in a couple different places until she decided. With the tax laws as they are now you can take most gains without paying tax on it and decide later where to buy. It isn't like when you had to roll the gain now you can take your time.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Same here. Nothing like that in TV that I know of.
never heard that either - mine is about $135 per month
Old 12-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Gold member

Eight and half years ago I decided on my own to move to TV. My wife had no idea what I was planning and when she found out she was not pleased. Family kept telling me I had not done enough research and I should rent for a while etc etc. My response to all this was...

"I don't have to do research because 80,000 (at the time) people have done it for me and 200-300 a month are moving into TV."

It took me six more years to move here with my wife even though she was not yet on board with the idea. Two and half years have passed Now she and I both love it. She gets to go home to her family whenever she wants so that makes her happy. We have way more friends (not acquaintances ) than we ever had "up north".

So what you take from this is up to you. I say just do it! Some may be more cautious but that's just not me.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:49 AM

Where is "the nice bar in Sumter where lots of singles meet and greet" that you referred to ?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:03 PM

Why don't you call the realtor that told you $5000 and ask her to clarify. Maybe she is new and didn't understand the fees herself. Or, maybe it is just a misunderstanding. If she tells you $5000 again, I would ask to speak to the manager.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.