The Pure Pleasure of Eating

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default The Pure Pleasure of Eating

I had the opportunity, as did most in my generation, to grow up in a family that spent most of their time sitting around the kitchen table eating and discussing any number of topics. Holidays were especially "special"and conversation extended way into the evening as did various courses of food.

Like most I cannot give you one favorite meal. However one that comes to mind for me is a nice steak with a side dish of pasta and a glass of red wine.

God has given us many special gifts and the pure pleasure of eating is one

What say you?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Sage

I remember Sunday dinner at my Aunt Ida's and she would make the most incredibly delicious breaded steak and a broccoli dish with breadcrumbs. We would be at the table for what seemed like a long time and the more wine we drank the louder it would get. My brother recently reminded me those steaks were slathered in lard before breaded which is what probably gave them that wonderful flavor. And I lived to tell about the pure pleasure of eating that meal.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I remember Sunday dinner at my Aunt Ida's and she would make the most incredibly delicious breaded steak and a broccoli dish with breadcrumbs. We would be at the table for what seemed like a long time and the more wine we drank the louder it would get. My brother recently reminded me those steaks were slathered in lard before breaded which is what probably gave them that wonderful flavor. And I lived to tell about the pure pleasure of eating that meal.

Where I grew up lard was considered a staple.....if it was fried it was in lard....how I miss those meals....lol.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I enjoy the pleasures of the table. On Sunday's our family would gather at my grandmother's after church. (They didn't go, but we did) My grandmother would bake a yellow cake from scratch and it was moist and delicious. She usually served fried chicken, (home raised) mashed potatoes and lots of cooked vegetables. and either slaw or wilted lettuce. If it was winter the vegetables came from her home canned stash and if it was summer we had them from the garden. The cousins all played on the swing or in the sandbox or out in the yard we played red rover, hide and seek or other games and we got drinks from the well in the back yard and the grownups would sit around the table and drink beer and talk. Sometimes we kids would get tired and just fall asleep on a comfortable couch or chair.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Whose mother didn't have one of these to carefully save all the bacon grease and other drippings? That is, if she hadn't already used it to make gravy.

Spaghetti and meatballs is one of my top three for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	drip.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	45501  
Old 10-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

I have taken our son for a colonoscopy for many years (preemie twin now with Crohn's) and always ask what he wants to eat after the procedure. He watches what he eats for 3 years and that one day he wants a Philly Cheese Steak with everything. After hitting the magic age of 50 and recommended a colonoscopy, I wanted stir fried vegetables.

At the time of going without food, what we may crave is far different than what we may want on any other day. We have had the wonderful pleasure of spending time in The Villages and tomorrow is our last day. I wonder what our guilty pleasure might be? I'm guessing my husband will have a steak and I will have blackened salmon. Then we return to PA and eat vegetables, limited meat, and look forward to indulging when we have the pleasure of returning to The Villages.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Sage

There are so many favorites of mine that my mom made. Pan browned pork chops with milk gravy was a favorite with home made pickled beets. When I think of all of the fried food we ate and the yummy home made desserts, this day and age we would be so over weight! I'm glad I ate well back then!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 AM
Sage

I was so thin that my Mom was always pushing milk shakes and second helpings of fried chicken, mashed potatoes with butter, etc. etc. Those were the days all right!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Sage

Love to eat. "Have fork, will travel".

I will always miss the seven course Italian meals that my aunt use to make, during the holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My uncle was a quiet guy that really enjoyed having the whole family to his house, and there were many of us. About 20 for the formal dinner, with 40 or more, coming for coffee and cake.

Topped off with a visit from Santa, for the kids and grown-ups. Another uncle had cancer one year, and lost all his hair. Santa delivered a "hair brush" to him. He got the biggest laugh when he opened his gift. Sadly, he passed a few months later.

I fondly miss those days.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I will always remember the meals my grandmother made on their wood burning stove at the farmhouse in Virginia. My grandfather had a diary farm. Every morning he was up at 4 am to build up the fire in that stove, which to me seemed at the time to be the size of a volkswagon. My grandmother cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner and made pies and cakes with that huge stove every day. Three weeks a year was a huge treat for me and if we were there during the winter that was an extra treat.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Eternal Member

My favorites growing up were my mom's pot roast, fried chicken and scalloped potatoes with pork chops !!
Those were always on a Sunday and we always ate about 3:00.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

We usually ate Sunday dinner at my grandmother's. Often it was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and white gravy, homemade egg noodles with cheese and buttered bread crumbs on top, homemade bread with real butter and burnt sugar cake. Very light! On the other hand I would give anything to sit down with my mother over a home cooked meal one more time.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I would give anything to sit down with my mother over a home cooked meal one more time.
So would I!!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Whose mother didn't have one of these to carefully save all the bacon grease and other drippings? That is, if she hadn't already used it to make gravy.

Spaghetti and meatballs is one of my top three for sure.
I have one of these but older, came from my granny's
Old 10-21-2014, 06:52 AM

Miss my grandmother's pasty. She was from the upper peninsula of Michigan (Yooper) where pasty's are well known. It was always a Sunday meal and they were delicious. The crust was made with lard and that's probably why I can't recreate this recipe because I don't use lard. I made them this past Sunday and they were good but they just weren't grandma's.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.