Sirius/xm warning!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Default Sirius/xm warning!

About the time my subscription was due to expire I discovered that I couldn't access my Sirius account. About the same time I received an email from them requesting I call their customer service number. I had renewed previously by check. After searching the internet I discovered that Sirius has been charging customers for renewal even though they had not approved it.
Many customers have had to file with their state's Attorney General to file a complaint.
I'm curious if anyone else has had the problem?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
About the time my subscription was due to expire I discovered that I couldn't access my Sirius account. About the same time I received an email from them requesting I call their customer service number. I had renewed previously by check. After searching the internet I discovered that Sirius has been charging customers for renewal even though they had not approved it.
Many customers have had to file with their state's Attorney General to file a complaint.
For the last six years I've had Sirius. Each year I renew, I agree that the following year, my contract will be renewed, automatically. What I do is each year, on the expiration date, I call and renegotiate my rate, which is substantially less than the going rate.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
For the last six years I've had Sirius. Each year I renew, I agree that the following year, my contract will be renewed, automatically. What I do is each year, on the expiration date, I call and renegotiate my rate, which is substantially less than the going rate.
Same here. Every year I negotiate a price when my contract ends and I'm explicitly told my account will renew automatically when that year ends.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 PM

I found that last year I renewed by check for $119 fees included. I'll call Sirius the month before and renegotiate staying with the pay by check. People with problems seem to have allowed Sirius to access their credit card information.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have Amazon Prime and Iheart radio, so haven't thought of Sirius in a long time. I know when I cancelled. It was when my monthly rate was going to go from $7 a month to $21. Nope, don't need it...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I found that last year I renewed by check for $119 fees included. I'll call Sirius the month before and renegotiate staying with the pay by check. People with problems seem to have allowed Sirius to access their credit card information.
If a credit card is used for almost any service/subscription, most companies automatically 'opt' you in for annual renewal...and you have to make a special effort to figure out how to change it.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I have Amazon Prime and Iheart radio, so haven't thought of Sirius in a long time. I know when I cancelled. It was when my monthly rate was going to go from $7 a month to $21. Nope, don't need it...

Sirius is not $21 a month. I pay $100 a year.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
That's a great price. Several years ago when I called to renew my subscription I was quoted at $21 per month, which is why I cancelled... for $100 a year I get free shipping, free music, free movies and TV shows and free books, all on Amazon Prime...

Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
That's a great price. Several years ago when I called to renew my subscription I was quoted at $21 per month, which is why I cancelled... for $100 a year I get free shipping, free music, free movies and TV shows and free books, all on Amazon Prime...

It's worth it to me, to listen in my truck, and on my phone. Of course I love Amazon Prime, and its benefits too!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM

They also offer a 6 month term for $30 plus fees and tax for a total of about $37. I call before it renews and get the same rate.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
I pay a little less than that. I mark my desk calendar for the day it is due and call. $31 every 5 months. +/-
Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I also have it on my calendar and call each year a few days before expiration.....has never been an issue. I also listen mostly in the car but also have prime music for echo, dot and phone.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I also have it on my calendar and call each year a few days before expiration.....has never been an issue. I also listen mostly in the car but also have prime music for echo, dot and phone.
I listen to Prime in my car, on Alexa and in my golf cart!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Default Didn't work this time for me

I've had Sirius for over 10 years and have always paid approximately $110 with taxes. This year has been a totally different experience as I got an email stating my renewal would be $225. So, I called them this past Saturday to negotiate as always and the woman I spoke with wouldn't go for it. (I couldn't believe it so I told her to let it expire.)

I can't decide if I want to go through the aggravation of calling AGAIN or waiting to see if they'll send me an offer. I have a feeling business must be good so they don't need my business.

P.S. For those of you that said you have Prime, you don't get talk radio with that do you? I have prime but only use Sirius for talk radio in my car. Thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiamp1 View Post
I've had Sirius for over 10 years and have always paid approximately $110 with taxes. This year has been a totally different experience as I got an email stating my renewal would be $225. So, I called them this past Saturday to negotiate as always and the woman I spoke with wouldn't go for it. (I couldn't believe it so I told her to let it expire.)

I can't decide if I want to go through the aggravation of calling AGAIN or waiting to see if they'll send me an offer. I have a feeling business must be good so they don't need my business.

P.S. For those of you that said you have Prime, you don't get talk radio with that do you? I have prime but only use Sirius for talk radio in my car. Thanks
There are a lot of talk radio stations available for free through smartphone apps such as TuneIn and IHeartRadio. Maybe not the ones you want though. Worth a look anyway.

As regards Sirius, I have XM in my car. Last year the price went up over $200 (a significant percentage of which was a royalty fee paid to the music industry). That was too much, so I downgraded to fewer channels and got it under $150. But its still too expensive for the value I get from it. I'm still evaluating alternatives.
--
Bob C
Closed Thread

Tags
sirius, file, discovered, time, customers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.