Take Care using Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Take Care using Traffic Circles

Almost every day I travel from the 466 area to Sumter Landing using Belvedere/Buena Vista and the traffic circle at Belvedere/Winifred. Yesterday I was returning home approaching the traffic circle from the south, had slowed down to get into the traffic circle and make my turn around and into Belvedere, when a large white truck came down on my right hand side at high speed and literally blew through the traffic circle without stopping. At the same time there was a small white car making its way around the traffic circle and out onto Winifred - thankfully he must have realized that the truck was not going to stop and had slowed to a stop across my lane. The truck blew through at high speed and the driver of the small car very carefully proceeded out of the traffic circle into Winifred. There is no doubt in my mind that had the car driver not stopped in the circle he would have been a fatality.

I am posting this as a warning to people who are relatively new to the area to take care when entering the circles, you really do not know whether the other drivers on the road know how to use the circles.

So use your indicators so that other people know where you are going and slow down to a safe speed when entering and exiting the circles.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Whether new or long time TV's, sometimes we ALL need a reminder. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Sage

Great reminder!!! I see personal vehicles who do that ALL the time as well. It's like the "yield" sign means nothing! Some folks don't even appear to look!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Here we go again.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Default Traffics circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here we go again.
Agree,but we all need reminders out there ... Hopefully the light bulb will come on for the non compliant drivers
Oh, I like my popcorn with cinnamon/sugar mixture...
Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Here we go again.

I see no reason to bring out the popcorn. The OP is trying to warn everyone of the potential danger of the round a bouts.It has been discussed many other times but there seems to be a lot of problems navigating them. This is one subject that needs and gets a lot of attention. When someone brings out the popcorn symbol, I think that it gives the impression that their post is not important. I, for one, appreciate hearing everyone's experiences in the round a bouts. It let's us know what to look out for and may save someone from getting I to an accident.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Sage

Here you go, 4 previous threads with over 300 posts of experiences, opinions, attacks, etc...........................
No legal way to exit roundabout to resident gate
Roundabout at Pinellas and Morse
Navigating a roundabout
Roundabouts vs Stop Signs
Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

So use your indicators so that other people know where you are going and slow down to a safe speed when entering and exiting the circles.
Noble and appropriate intention. Unfortunately there is a too large number of RESIDENTS in TV who feel and act as though ANY and all rules do not apply to them.

TV is FL friendliest home town.....unless they are behind the wheel (statement based on being here 10 years of near misses and hit twice in traffic circles).
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

TURN SIGNAL!!!! Please learn to use them.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 AM

Ah, yes. The predictable, pejorative popcorn symbol.

I think it is just fine to do reminders about the roundabouts. A good thing. Brand new threads even. Might help somebody.

Some of us are new kids here at this giant high school. Still figuring things out. And though I actually like the roundabouts, I am anything but nonchalant about entering and exiting. (You will see me. I drive a white car with Florida plates.)

And now, in spite of the expressions of ennui this could trigger, I must relate my first experience of seeing someone headed the wrong direction in a roundabout. When the wrong-way driver exited the Lake Miona Rec parking lot one night, the roundabout there caused serious confusion. It turned out OK though.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Here we go again.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit! Sarcasm is a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM

The sheriff road patrol could cure this and most other traffic problems in about 2 weeks. Write lots of tickets and publisize the fines paid. Drivers of cars, golf carts, and bicycles will have a quick attitude change when they are hit in the pocketbook!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Here we go again.
You read the subject of the thread the same as everyone else did. You did not have to read the content.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit! Sarcasm is a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

My feeling on the roundabouts is that people don't have a disregard for the law, they just don't know. And after five years of going through them I have come to realize there is no hope. I approach them as if everybody is a kamikaze pilot.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.