Throw under the bus..discussion

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Sage
Default Throw under the bus..discussion

etymology - What's the origin of "throwing someone under the bus"? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
Where did this saying come from? Why is Greta talking about it?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

///

Last edited by Rags123; 09-30-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: misunderstood..sorry
Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Sage

I am reading the etymology where a character pushed his friend under bus wheels, stole his wallet and used his money.
Does this stuff happen to you from people you thought were friends?
What do you do about it?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If a "friend" stole from me that would be the end of our friendship. It depends how much she stole and what she stole if I would call authorities.

Stealing is wrong. Stealing takes from a person the value of the work it took to earn the money to buy the item. I can't think of any circumstances where it would be understandable. I would never want to be around that person again.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I don't know where it originated but the author must have known one of my former coworkers who practiced this constantly until it caught up to him. Karma.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I don't know where it originated but the author must have known one of my former coworkers who practiced this constantly until it caught up to him. Karma.

What goes around comes around.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If a "friend" stole from me that would be the end of our friendship. It depends how much she stole and what she stole if I would call authorities.

Stealing is wrong. Stealing takes from a person the value of the work it took to earn the money to buy the item. I can't think of any circumstances where it would be understandable. I would never want to be around that person again.
I asked my auto mechanic Vaughn at Lady Lake Tire if he ever got stiffed on checks. He said yes and then said that the person who stiffed him must have needed it more than he did. But the opportunity would not be available again.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
What goes around comes around.
It's true. The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Sage

There are a few things in life, that are black and white decisions.

To steal or not steal is one of them. Stealing is wrong!!!!!

Throwing a person under the bus should be a corporate term, as some people think that getting ahead is so important, they need to throw their co-workers "under the bus".

In the final analysis, they really haven't gain all that much. A fellow I worked with, (a nice guy), had a sign in his cube that read, "those who die with the most toys win". I had to restrain myself from writing, "those who die with the most toys, have toys that will get rusty".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My saying was always, "Those who die with most toys are still dead."

As to throwing someone under the bus, hasn't happened to me but I have seen it. The thrower seems to ultimately get caught and thrown down the garbage chute.

To me stealing is forgivable. Figure if you're so desperate you would steal from a friend, you need that item far more than I ever did. Doesn't mean you'll get a second chance to steal from me, though.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Sage

When I was a teenager, I was friends with a girl who lived with her dad as her mom had passed away when she was very young. Her dad was an extremely successful realtor and they had a beautiful home but he was never home and paid no attention to her. In the five years I knew her and visited her home often, I never saw him. The living room was gorgeous, the dining room was a card table set up with a couple chairs because he was never there for meals. Many years later, she told me she had to fess up. She had taken food from our refrigerator to eat because there was never food at her house. It broke my heart. I guess I would have to say, I agree in general, but I can see situations that would over ride. It was shocking and terribly sad.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.