What do you eat for breakfast????

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,660 Posts
Default What do you eat for breakfast????

Just read................

Mikey Doesn't Like It: How Cereal Is Missing the Breakfast Boom

Sales of cold cereal continue to decline in the U.S. General Mills (GIS) earnings fell short of forecasts in June, and just last month Kellogg (K)missed second-quarter sales estimates and cut its near-term forecasts.

This doesnt mean that Americans have given up on the morning meal. In fact, the reverse is true. According to Nielsen (NLSN) data, breakfast on the whole is growing. And while cold cereal, an $8.5 billion industry, is still the biggest breakfast category overall, egg sandwiches, sausages, cereal bars, and pastries are catching up.

Whats driving these changes? Over the past five years, people have stopped caring quite so much about fiber, but theres new interest in protein, with 54 percent identifying protein as something they care about, up from 49 percent in 2009. Meanwhile, other health crazes have taken hold. Interest in non-genetically modified foods rose 67 percent in the last five years, according to Nielsen; interest in gluten-free foods, and those without high-fructose corn syrup, is up 22 percent for both categories. Enter the gluten-free, unsweetened, high-protein, non-GMO egg.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Gold member

1/4 a salt bagel (Brooklyn bagel) with Philly cream cheese and 3 cups of coffee.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

I boil water, put in a lot of cinnamon, vanilla, yogurt, and bring it to a boil. Add steel cut oats, 8 grain cereal, wheat germ, and ground flax seed. When it's a good consistency, I pull it off the stove to cool. Each morning I heat some up in the microwave and top with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and/or red raspberries.

A batch lasts about 10 days for 2. It is really quite good.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've never been a big breakfast eater. Normally if I eat eggs, pancakes, waffles or anything like that, it's usually at Bob Evans and for lunch. I'm 5'9" and 154 pounds, 64 years of age. That's suppose to be my perfect BMI body weight. I do like Cheerios and keep those on hand for a snack with a banana. I'll probably have that a couple of times a month.

My normal breakfast is an Activia Lite Yogurt, flavor strawberry or blueberry. Followed with a 16 oz glass of high pulp orange. Followed by a 16 oz glass of V8 with a banana. Then about 30 minutes later an 8 oz glass of 1% milk mixed with 100% whey powder with 24 grams of protein.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What makes you say that interest in fiber has diminished? Just because people are increasing their protein intake doesn't mean that they are lowering their fiber intake.

By reducing the amount of processed cereals that we all grew up eating, people are reducing their intake of sugar, processed carbs and gluten. Personally I don't think that's a bad thing.

We can get plenty of fiber from green leafy vegetables and sources other then wheat. It is being discovered that wheat in the form it takes today can be very harmful to us. We've know the dangers of sugar for years, but we still see cereals that are loaded with sugar and corn syrup.

Personally, I have a heaping teaspoon of sugar free psyllium powder in a glass of water every morning. That is more than enough fiber for any human being. Then as I said, along with plenty of protein, and fat, I eat salad, broccoli, spinach and other fiber rich veggies.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What makes you say that interest in fiber has diminished? Just because people are increasing their protein intake doesn't mean that they are lowering their fiber intake.

By reducing the amount of processed cereals that we all grew up eating, people are reducing their intake of sugar, processed carbs and gluten. Personally I don't think that's a bad thing.

We can get plenty of fiber from green leafy vegetables and sources other then wheat. It is being discovered that wheat in the form it takes today can be very harmful to us. We've know the dangers of sugar for years, but we still see cereals that are loaded with sugar and corn syrup.

Personally, I have a heaping teaspoon of sugar free psyllium powder in a glass of water every morning. That is more than enough fiber for any human being. Then as I said, along with plenty of protein, and fat, I eat salad, broccoli, spinach and other fiber rich veggies.
Not me, just quoted the article and study results.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 PM

Today, six cups of coffee with half and half followed by three fried eggs.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

A handful of M & M's and a can of Pepsi.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
A handful of M & M's and a can of Pepsi.
Plain or Peanut??
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

LCHF (Low carb high fat)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dON-fPp5Hy0
Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

One reduced-fat nilla wafer (because I take care of the dog before I brush my teeth), followed by coffee and sometimes a mini York peppermint patty out of the freezer.

Eating breakfast sets me up to be hungry for the whole rest of the day.

I could go for those M&M's!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Platinum member

It seems that I may be a traditionalist, as well as a creature of habit !?

Almost invariably:
Monday: Kellogg's Raisin Bran or KRB Crunch
Tue/Wed/Fri: bacon, a fried egg, toast (2) w/ jelly/jam
Thu: soft-boiled eggs (2), bacon bits, toast (2), orange marmalade
Sat: English muffin (2) with sliced tomato, bacon bits, Italian spices
Sun: omelet (2 eggs) w/pepperoni, mushrooms or similar; danish pastry from Publix.

Always: 8 ounces of Minute Maid Orange Juice

Almost always: 3 cups of black coffee, with a small sugar cube, each. Granted, I usually pour out at least a half-cup because it gets too cold!

For the most part, my breakfast is The Meal of The Day!

SWR
Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Last night's leftovers. Never was much of a breakfast eater and always loathed cereals ( hot or cold) -- that was what you fed to the pigs on the farm in Germany.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
One reduced-fat nilla wafer (because I take care of the dog before I brush my teeth), followed by coffee and sometimes a mini York peppermint patty out of the freezer.

Eating breakfast sets me up to be hungry for the whole rest of the day.

I could go for those M&M's!
I'm the same way. Once I eat, it's like opening the flood gates. About a week and a half ago I started eating one meal a day and I try to eat it as late as possible. It's not difficult to go all day unless I eat. Once I eat, I get hungry every hour or so.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Platinum member

I like cereal for breakfast (bran flakes, shredded wheat,etc.)

Could it be the $5.00/box is turning people off?

Or maybe they read the book 'Wheat Belly?"

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.