What A Super Bowl!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Haters will be Haters....Time to suck it up and give the Pats their props. No discussion The Greatest quarterback of all time took the greatest NFL franchise of all time to the Greatest comeback of all time in the Greatest Super Bowl of all time.
I do not hate NE. And they are a very good team but they lucked out last night. I much more enjoy games that the best team wins not the losing team hands over a victory. I also thought the refereeing was very good last night. So there I'm not crying foul. If the Pats would have dominated that game last night I would admit it - did not happen not from my viewpoint. Nothing here to suck up. However I understand your position BOSOXFAN. I going to have to give serious consideration to abandoning my Buffalo Bills.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Platinum member

Here is my analysis of the game.
Coin toss...
REF: Tails. Atlanta, you win the coin toss. Would you like your defense to sit out the first half or the second?
Falcons: The second half.
REF: OK, New England, your defense will sit out the first half. Atlanta, your defense will sit out the second half. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Default Went to Sleep

Wonder how many Villagers went to bed early and woke up astounded
Old 02-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Bill, Brady and Pats, best ever, period.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It reminded me of Super Bowl 47 quite a lot. The Ravens are up 28-6 in the third quarter and the lights in the Super Dome go out for 30 minutes. The 49ers under Jim Harbaugh mount a big comeback, but the difference was the Ravens were able to hold on and win 34-31, the 49ers fell just short. It was the last Ravens game for Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

Rustyp does have a point. If the Falcons had not taken those sacks and played for a field goal, with Matt Bryant a solid veteran, they could of gone up by 11 instead of the 8 point lead when Brady got the ball back. I feel bad for Arthur Blank the owner of the Falcons, he was on the sidelines with his wife all ready to get the throphy and the team fell apart. That's something those players and coaches will probably never live down.

When the Pats kicked the onside attempt, I had said to myself, I saw the special teams coach talking to Belichick just before that. I said, don't be surprised if they try and onside kick, they did and Atlanta wasn't ready, but they luckily had one player get the ball. However, they never could take advantage of that great field position, you have to give New England credit for that. Matt Ryan with a short field and they couldn't capitalize, that saved the Pats.

Last edited by John_W; 02-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Robert Kraft, Owner, GOAT
Bill Belichick, Head Coach, GOAT
Tom Brady, Quarterback, GOAT
Super Bowl LI, GOAT
In addition, The New England Patriots have played in nine Super Bowls which is the most of any team in the NFL.

I was at a Super Bowl last night party surrounded by Patriots fans. At half time everyone was moping around. One guys said. "That's it, we've lost." A lot of people were leaving.

I was reminded of the scene in the movie Apollo 13 when the NASA director says, "This could be the worst disaster NASA's ever experienced." and Gene Krantz says, "With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour."

I literally went around and said that every thing was OK and that this was going to be the greatest come back in Super Bowl history. I'm not sure I believed it 100% at the time, but I had a feeling and saying it made me feel better and a few more people began to believe. As they did, I began to believe a bit more.

Now had they lost, I would have been wrong, but what's the difference? Isn't it better to be sitting there waiting for the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history to happen or to sit through the second half defeated? A lot of people went home half way through the third quarter and they missed a great celebration.

One of the things that The Patriots do and all great athletes do is play the entire game. Play until the fat lady sings. You never give up and you always believe that it's going to get better. And you always believe that you still have a chance.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 02-06-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The Patriots may not have deserved to win vs.Seattle two years ago but no doubt about this game. That was masterful and amazing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
How did they not deserve to win against Seattle? If not for one of the luckiest catches in the history of football by Jerome Kearse, Seattle wouldn't have been knocking at the door. That was the third fluke pass play that occurred against the Patriots in their six Super Bowls this century. They finally had one go their way in last night's game with the Edelman catch. But at least that was a great effort, not a lucky bounce like the Kearse catch.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 02-06-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
And they certainly did not win this game - the Falcon's lost it. The worst play I ever seen called. The Falcon's are up by eight and have a 37 yard field goal chance on first down no less. Run up the middle or at worse take a knee twice eat up the clock and make sure you don't get out of field goal range. If then the Falcon's would have missed and Brady comes back to tie with little time on the clock then I'll give it all you NE fans. But that's not what I seen. I seen NE luck out.
I agree that the play calling on that drive was terrible, but Herm Edwards defended it this morning on ESPN. He said that The Falcons have been aggressive like that all year and that's what got them to the Super Bowl. He had several reasons why it was right for them to call passes.And nothing guarantees that they make a 37 yard field goal. I disagree, but I'm no where as knowledgeable about football as a former NFL Player and head coach.

As far as I know, coaches are part of the team. The offensive co-ordinator who called those plays is just as much a part of the team as Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Calling good plays and bad plays is part of football. A bad play call isn't much different than a poorly thrown ball or a blown coverage on defense. Nothing lucky. The Patriots have better coaches.

And by the way, they "lucked out" after coming back from a 28-3 deficit with only twenty three minutes of football left to play. They had a little thing called momentum going for them.

And what I "seen" was Commissioner Roger Goodell handing Robert Kraft the trophy. I didn't see him say that The Falcons were the winners because they made a bad play call.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 02-06-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I agree that the play calling on that drive was terrible, but Herm Edwards defended it this morning on ESPN. He said that The Falcons have been aggressive like that all year and that's what got them to the Super Bowl. He had several reasons why it was right for them to call passes.And nothing guarantees that they make a 37 yard field goal. I disagree, but I'm no where as knowledgeable about football as a former NFL Player and head coach.

As far as I know, coaches are part of the team. The offensive co-ordinator who called those plays is just as much a part of the team as Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Calling good plays and bad plays is part of football. A bad play call isn't much different than a poorly thrown ball or a blown coverage on defense. Nothing lucky. The Patriots have better coaches.

And by the way, they "lucked out" after coming back from a 28-3 deficit with only twenty three minutes of football left to play. They had a little thing called momentum going for them.

And what I "seen" was Commissioner Roger Goodell handing Robert Kraft the trophy. I didn't see him say that The Falcons were the winners because they made a bad play call.
It's typical for a team with a large lead to back off and run the clock down. Protect against the big play and even give a score away hopefully just field goals not touchdowns i.e. protect the lead. Terrible is beyond my vocabulary for what the Falcon's called after being in field goal range. They could have run the clock down another minute and a half at least or have NE spend timeouts putting even more pressure on them if they missed the field goal. A missed field goal would have been no different situation than kicking the ball away but with a lot less time for NE to work with. My vote for the dumbest call of all superbowls.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's typical for a team with a large lead to back off and run the clock down. Protect against the big play and even give a score away hopefully just field goals not touchdowns i.e. protect the lead. Terrible is beyond my vocabulary for what the Falcon's called after being in field goal range. They could have run the clock down another minute and a half at least or have NE spend timeouts putting even more pressure on them if they missed the field goal. A missed field goal would have been no different situation than kicking the ball away but with a lot less time for NE to work with. My vote for the dumbest call of all superbowls.

And if the Falcon's would have missed that field goal and NE come back with little time left I would admit it was the greatest comeback ever in super bowl history. It was also a good comeback. Greatest ? Yes per statistics not strategy. If NE knew that was the end result they would have never tried on onside kick. That's a desperation shot. However it was the greatest gift in super bowl history. What do you think Roger Godall would say - lucky Pats ?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
And if the Falcon's would have missed that field goal and NE come back with little time left I would admit it was the greatest comeback ever in super bowl history. It was also a good comeback. Greatest ? Yes per statistics not strategy. If NE knew that was the end result they would have never tried on onside kick. That's a desperation shot. However it was the greatest gift in super bowl history. What do you think Roger Godall would say - lucky Pats ?

And in conclusion the Falcon's deserved to loose.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
What do you think Roger Godall would say - lucky Pats?
Did anyone else notice that when Roger Goodell handed the Lombardi trophy to Robert Kraft...Goodell looked a little deflated?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
great game and great comeback by the Patriots...I just don't think the SUPER BOWL after 60 minutes of hard fought football should end with that OT rule ....the flip of a coin gving 1 team the chance to win it all on a 1st TD..... would have liked to see both teams given a chance to score
It all came down to a coin toss.
IMHO, the team that won the coin toss was destined to win the game.
And wasn't it a great game -- I'm so glad I didn't go to bed early!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
I do not hate NE. And they are a very good team but they lucked out last night. I much more enjoy games that the best team wins not the losing team hands over a victory. I also thought the refereeing was very good last night. So there I'm not crying foul. If the Pats would have dominated that game last night I would admit it - did not happen not from my viewpoint. Nothing here to suck up. However I understand your position BOSOXFAN. I going to have to give serious consideration to abandoning my Buffalo Bills.
The Patriots dominated every stat..93 offensive plays to 46 for the Falcons...yards passing 466 to 284...time of possesion 40 plus minutes to 23 plus minutes...total yards546 to 344...first downs 37 to 17....So the Pats did dominate the game it just took them a while to get into the end zone but once they did the Falcons couldn't stop them.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 PM

I couldn't be more proud to be a Patriots fan. Even when others counted them out, I knew that Brady could pull off the comeback, as he has done so many times before. He has, without a doubt, earned the title of the NFL's greatest quarterback!
Closed Thread

Tags
game, super, bowl, heck, played

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.