14" SS Wheels and Low Profile Tires Ride Rough

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Gold member
Default 14" SS Wheels and Low Profile Tires Ride Rough

These seem to ride rough and wobble.
I had TV Golf Cars check and they said everything was normal on this new in Sept. 2013 Yamaha EFI.
Anyone experiencing the same either on 10" or the 14" like mine?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Default Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
I had TV Golf Cars check and they said everything was normal on this new in Sept. 2013 Yamaha EFI.
I bought a new Ezy Go a year ago with 12 inch tires and mag wheels. It shook so badly that they replaced the tires five times before it was any better. It is not perfect and is never going to be. It appears that the problem is because the tires are belted, not radial and they come from some place in the world, folded over and ratcheted down, as flat as pancakes. Depending where they are in the load, some are worse than others. When they replaced mine for the last time, the mechanic spun 48 wheels and tires before he found four that he thought would work. I am very disappointed in the way it handles but it now has 1000 miles on it and despite the fact that they told me it would get better in time, it has not. If I were you, assuming that yours are belted and not radial, I would be going after them to change the tires until they get some that are better than what you have. I know that Yanaha was having problems with tires because I have read it on this site before, probably a year ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Bought a Yammi a month ago from Village Carts. I wanted to get larger tires BUT my sales person Kim @ Brownwood location said larger tires would GIVE A ROUGH & SPORTY RIDE. I opted for the standard 10" tires & are VERY HAPPY with them.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Sage

I would think that these wheel should be put on a tire balance machine, if you can find someone with a Hunter 9700 unit they are great.

A lot of Firestone dealers have those.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Low profile tires have a smaller and stiffer side wall than a regular size tire this contributes to the rougher ride.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Gold member

What about wobble/ shimmy?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 PM

If it is a wobble/shimmy I think it has to be the tires. Assuming they are belted I don't think you are ever going to be happy with a low profile tire. Ask the dealer how they are shipped. After what I have been through I would have radials if they made them in 12 inch, which they don't. Golf cars are designed to be driven 8 mph on a golf course, not 25 mph on a poorly paved road. Thats the story I kept getting at my dealer. I was not and am not happy but I have spoken to a ton of people in the villages about tires and a lot of people are in the same boat. It is very disappointing to pay that much money and have a car that shakes and jumps going down the road.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
What about wobble/ shimmy?
Either bad tires or bent wheels. If you can put the cart on a jack and spin the wheels you can see if the wheel is bent by watching the side of the wheel. If you look at the tread while the wheel is spinning and you see it jump at a certain spot you have flat spots in the tires. Flat spots are common on golf cart tires. Remember they are designed to be used on turf where you wouldn't notice the wobble. It's different on the hard, smooth roads. I have replaced the tires on my cart twice since I got here 6 months ago.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Gold member

These are the Endura Excel 205/30/14 4PR's
I would guess they are belted and not radial.
I had someone follow mw and he said he saw no wobble.
Villages Golf Cart's service said that's just how golf carts ride.
No vibration in the steering column just wobble you feel.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Get the salesman to let you take one for a drive that does not have 14 inch low profile tires on it. Yamaha does not make a golf car that wobbles. It is the tires and if he will not admit it, talk to the service manager. They know that the tires are a problem, especially low profiles. When I was ordering my car they specifically told me not to get low profiles because of the ride. If the salesman dosent know that, he must be new on the job.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.