2 or 4 passenger

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Default 2 or 4 passenger

I posted this in "ask the experts" & no "experts" got back. All to busy I guess.
So, I will ask the people who REALLY KNOW.

I am moving to TV in 2 Months & already looking at Golf carts to buy but need some info.
I am going to buy a Yahama gas cart. New or used, I have not made up my mind yet but will buy an EFI either way.. A couple of questions, Can any 2 pass. Yahama cart be converted to a 4 Pass cart, that can also carry golf clubs? Some add's say Low Speed "Yes", some say Low speed, "No". What is the difference? What is a " high speed gear"? Are all tires rated for golf course use & street use?
Thanks

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

I don't know a bunch of technical stuff but I will say this: Carts and Clubs. You may get differing opinions but that one is mine. Also, go with a two seater. You will use the two seater 99% of the time and it easily fits in the golf car garage. Four seaters will not fit in some golf car garages. Just rent another two seater when you have family come down. It is cheap and gives everyone maximum flexibility, i.e. the young ones want to stay and dance and the other half of the party is too pooped to do so.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM

I second Wanda's comments
Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I second Wanda's comments
I third Wanda's comments. In addition, when you put two additional people in the back the front end gets a little light. We rented a 4 seat cart the last two years when we rented a house here. We also rented gas carts. When we finally bought, we purchased two new electric carts.....and sold a car. Much more flexibility.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

When we first moved here 5 years ago, my wife insisted we buy a 4-seater. So we purchased a new EZGO RXV 4 seater electric. The golf clubs easily are mounted where the rear passengers place their feet. One thing about the EZGO, it has an AC motor and there is no difference in acceleration and power if you have 1,2 or 4 passengers riding. Yes, with the added weight, range diminishes. 12,500 miles later, it runs great. I like it when playing golf cause it automatically locks the brakes when stopped for 2 seconds. No parking brake to engage after every hole.

We purchased a new 2014 Yamaha gas 2-seater this year, carbureted model. They are approximately $1100 cheaper than an EFI model. Yes, they do approximately 5MPG less than an EFI, but $1100 will buy you plenty of gas to make up the difference.

The gas carts do lose speed when going up a grade so with the added weight of extra passengers, will be pokey up a hill. I have seen conversion kits that are aftermarket if you want to convert a 2-seater to a 4 seater or you can look at the new or used ones and compare.

When you are ready, take your time and look at all the models and test drive them and see what will satisfy your requirements.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 PM

Thank's Wanda, You bring up a good point, I'll have to check the length of the a garage.
As far as pooping out your right they usually leave before me.

Thank's guys for the input & will look into it as far as a 2 Pass. Wanda makes a good point. But I,m stuck on EFI Gas. I'v had a 2 Pass utility dump Yamaha golf cart 15 yrs. up in the Catskills not one problem, ever.

SEMPER FI
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 AM

When converting a 2 seater to 4 seater, you should also beef up the suspension.

Rollie
Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts
Default ...

Two vs. Four Seater is probably based on usage.

Some four seaters are a foot longer, not all.

Clubs & Carts, Grandpa & Grandma's, Discount Village Carts are all choices. New is a dealer, rebuilts at G&G or Discount.

Two seater vs. a four.............$1500 to $2000 more for a four.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Mine is used four seater. His is used two seater. Visitors love when we Caravan them around The Villages.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I have a 2013 4 seat Yamaha. It came the heavier suspension. The ride is firmer and you can load it down and still be stable. I like having the extra space for shopping, coolers (it has a built-in cooler) and just hauling. It is a little longer but the extra room is great. Get a comfortable seat. I like the EFI. Most are not street legal, but I don't like competing w/cars.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:12 AM

I prefer the two seater because of the ride. As mentioned the heavier suspension on the 4 seater makes for a firmer more jarring ride. We rent or borrow a second cart from friends or neighbors for company.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 AM

Speed issues. Most golf carts start out set for 15 mph. By adjusting the govenor, the golf carts in the villages are upgraded to 20 mph, the legal speed to drive a Low Speed Vehicle on the streets according to Florida law. High speed gears usually mean an illegal upgrade that allows a cart to go above the 20 mph speed limit. Be sure you understand the ramifications of going over 20mph. There are a lot of carts in the villages that go over 20mph. The Villages is so spread out, some feel the higher speed is worth it. If you opt for a high speed vehicle, be sure to get a speedometer. Carts usually have tires that are used on both the street and golf courses. Knobby tires are not allowed on the golf courses.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I agree with Wanda; mine will be a 2 seater and it will come from Carts and Clubs; happened to be there back in November and overheard a conversation with a customer wanting to convert a 2 seat to a 4 seat; cost was really high due to having to beef up suspension and other factors. Take a drive thru some of the squares and look at the parking with a 2 seater vs a 4 seater.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Really great info everyone.THANKS! What I thought was going to be a cut & dried choice turns out to be a little more. Looks like I,m renting a couple of different carts over a few weeks before I buy.
Remember "if the shoe fits wear it" but then you got to go out and find another one like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI
Old 01-28-2015, 10:48 PM

Pleased with our decision a year ago:
1. New Yamaha cart, gas, fuel injection, 2014 model
2. Two seater
3. Upgraded seats (makes for a much nicer ride)
4. Tray installed at front (oh, so handy)
5. Worth the drive to go to Carts & Clubs (I'd give you a recommendation of sales person if you want to private message me)
6. Rent another one when need extra one, which won't be terribly often...most likely.

Good luck and enjoy!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.