2 seats or 4, flip or long top

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Default 2 seats or 4, flip or long top

I realize every situation is unique, but we're trying to decide on buying a 2 seater or, considering that we will get several visitors every winter a 4 seater and if a 4 seater should we go for a long top with permanent seats or flip seats. Would appreciate any advice the wise sages from TV have to offer. Thanks
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

FWIW, we went through the same dilemma.

We were leaning toward the flip seats, but from previous renting before we bought our house, noticed that those carts didn't seem to have a commiserate upgraded suspension when four people were on-board. Not to mention, that facing backward the whole time would not seem to be all that comfortable to me.

Didn't like the idea of the hassle in tight quarters, of getting a 4-seater with all the seats facing forward either...due to the longer wheelbase and reduced turning radius.

Decided that we would just get a 2-seater and rent another cart when we had visitors.

Now, with two each 2-seaters it works out great for every day stuff...and with visitors.

You'll get a lot of opinions on what to do of course, but only you will know what's right for you and your situation and you may even change your mind at some point in the future...regardless of which way you go to start.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Platinum member
Talking Whatever you get.......have fun.

The carts with two seats facing backwards is an aftermarket modification. It is sometimes done without adequate modification of the suspension system, and poor handling characteristics are a common complaint. Talking with people in the back can be difficult too. It is frightening to sometimes see quite young people being permitted to ride in the back seats unsupervised due to their inattention to safety.

The principal problem I have found with a factory produced four-seats-facing-forward unit is the longer wheelbase. Some of the older tunnels under the roadways have very sharp turns entering and leaving the tunnels, and must be taken with great care in the longer units. I'm sure the gas mileage is not as good as a two seat model, but with either type you can go so far between tank refills that it is negligible.

Also, the longer wheelbase precludes parking headed directly into the curb as the two seaters do, because your cart would extend too far into the street. You need to find space to parallel park at the curb.

On the plus side, there is a great deal of space under the front seats for storage or grocery shopping (I put in a plastic tray) without interfering with foot room for the back passengers, and the back seats have high side rails for security and it is quite easy to have a conversation between front seat and back seat riders. (I put seat belts in the front seats.) We are in The Villages for socializing, and for entertaining visitors. The four forward seat carts lend themselves to socializing.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
I realize every situation is unique, but we're trying to decide on buying a 2 seater or, considering that we will get several visitors every winter a 4 seater and if a 4 seater should we go for a long top with permanent seats or flip seats. Would appreciate any advice the wise sages from TV have to offer. Thanks
Four seats are handy for visitors; also when shopping or buying groceries.
Or if you have large dogs.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 PM

We moved to TV in 2008 and have had a 4 seater since that time. We would not buy anything but a 4 seater with rear seat facing backwards. We also would not purchase a cart unless it was from The Villages golf cart store. They are a class operation and have service after the sale! ALL 4 seater carts purchased through The Villages golf cart stores have the beefed up suspensions in them. I have put (2) 250 lb people in the back seat many times and our cart does not sag and drives just fine. It is great to go out with friends to the squares and travel together and our grand kids love it! Yamaha made a major rear seat change in 2017 and to us it is not a good change. The 2016 Yamahas (and prior) have a great looking rear seat with a large cooler under the seat that doubles as a great trunk for groceries etc. The 2017 Yamahas have a cheap looking rear seat with an accordion hinge so the seat can fold down to create a flat area (sort of like a flat bed truck). Looks cheap and no longer has the "swooped up" roof as 2016 and prior. 4 seat carts are the only way to go as far as we are concerned but we will buy a 2016 or earlier (used cart) when we choose to upgrade unless Yamaha gets their 2016 configuration rear seat back. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Those HD rear springs are 90 dollars or so, you can do a DIY install but you really need a spring compressor for the task. They will add 500 pounds to the rating, or that's the claim.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 AM

I don't like the 4 seater with the flip seat because when the people are in the back seat they have no cover except the plastic. The plastic is very hot and you can't see out. My opinion only. I have the 4 seater with the extended top. Very happy with it. We have two carts.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

We purchased a 4 seater - facing backwards - from Carts and clubs in Ocala. Great folks to work with!

We also have a 2 seater from The Villages.

When we are not golfing we use the 4 seater because we got more options on it and better seating (high back, more comfortable).

Love having the 4 seater when we have company. We did get the extended top.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
I don't like the 4 seater with the flip seat because when the people are in the back seat they have no cover except the plastic. The plastic is very hot and you can't see out. My opinion only. I have the 4 seater with the extended top. Very happy with it. We have two carts.
And the flip up style is not very sturdy.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:28 PM

We have been happy with a 2 seater, and then renting another when folks come down.

Part of the fun is for the visitors to drive their own cart. It isn't just about getting 4 people someplace.

Also, when folks come down, we often go in different directions.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post

We love our 4 seater flip seat. We have storage so it's easy to carry things like groceries etc. Our suspension is supported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

If you are only going to use it for guests why not just rent a four seater.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all of the great input. We do have a large dog to consider, but last year when we rented he wanted nothing to do with the cart (four seater). Headed down tomorrow for a week to get things set up for the winter season and that will include hopefully buying a cart. I'll do a better job with all of your great comments. Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Who wants to ride backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
FWIW, we went through the same dilemma.

We were leaning toward the flip seats, but from previous renting before we bought our house, noticed that those carts didn't seem to have a commiserate upgraded suspension when four people were on-board. Not to mention, that facing backward the whole time would not seem to be all that comfortable to me.

Didn't like the idea of the hassle in tight quarters, of getting a 4-seater with all the seats facing forward either...due to the longer wheelbase and reduced turning radius.

Decided that we would just get a 2-seater and rent another cart when we had visitors.

Now, with two each 2-seaters it works out great for every day stuff...and with visitors.

You'll get a lot of opinions on what to do of course, but only you will know what's right for you and your situation and you may even change your mind at some point in the future...regardless of which way you go to start.

Good luck.
I don't care to ride backwards so I didn't want my guests to ride backwards either. But to each his own.

However, after a short while we decided it would be much more convenient to have two golf carts. Now, everyone is satisfied! very

Tags
seater, seats, flip, long, top

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.