2014 electric Par Car Legacy with weird electrical issues

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2023, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default 2014 electric Par Car Legacy with weird electrical issues

You may recall my earlier thread:

"Driving home in the torrential rain last night the front and rear lights on my Par Car suddenly went off. Luckily I was only 50 yards from home turf. I checked the cart this morning and they flashed on briefly when I turned on the lightswitch, but no amount of on/off would get a second flicker. The flash would seem to rule out a blown fuse, so maybe it is just a rainwater incursion somewhere causing a short?"

Discovered today that the turn signals don't work (nor their beeper) but the reversing beeper does, as does the horn.

I tried the brakes and the brake lights flashed on briefly. I tried the lights again and they flashed on briefly.

I think we can rule out fuses (or the brake lights and other lights wouldn't even flash) but is there a circuit breaker that could be being overloaded, then reset?

Seems weird that some of the electrics are fine, but not all, unless some work on 12v and use a different circuit from those using 48v (if any actually do).

As always, any suggestions gratefully received, before I call in the pros.

Thank you
Old 12-19-2023, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

You are correct, there is typically a 12 system and a 48 volt system. In the newer electric golf carts they use a (in this case) 48 VDC to 12 VDC converter. I am guessing that this has failed, and the flash that you are seeing is the converter shutting down, either due to a short or that is cannot support the load due to a failure in the converter.

If you are familiar with the electrical system you might be able to isolate the converter, and connect a FUSED 12 volt battery to the golf cart 12 volt system where the converter normally connects. then you could start testing the various circuits, I would start with a 10amp fuse and ONE circuit at a time. I have small lead acid 12 VDC batteries that would be suitable, and fused test leads, so I may be able to help you.
The DC/DC converters typically have built in circuitry to detect overloads and shut down the converter, and this may have been damaged by the water. This would explain a lot of what is going on. If this is the case, the converter would need to be replaced.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
...so I may be able to help you...
Thank you for your kind offer to help, VT, but I think I'll just call in our usual guy as it needs a general service anyway and, from what you surmise, a sizeable replacement unit might be needed

Will post here what he finds out
Closed Thread

Tags
lights, flashed, briefly, work, brake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.