2017 Yamaha EFI Gas Carts

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2017, 12:44 AM
Sage

If you are going to bring costs into the equation, you need to normalize it so a meaningful comparison can be made. For example, the cost of electricity for an electric cart is approximately 2.5 cents per mile. The cost for gasoline for a contemporary gas cart is approximately 4 cents per mile. However, when you factor in the additional cost per mile for battery replacements for the electric carts, the cost per mile is actually significantly higher for electric carts. For example, a ParCar estimation of battery life equated to an additional cost of approximately 10 cents per mile for an electric cart. Regardless, the cost per mile for either type of cart is insignificant when compared to the initial purchase price. For example, my cart cost over $10K but I only spend about $160 per year to drive it 4000 miles per year.

Regarding your comment about the state of "tune" for gasoline carts, contemporary gasoline carts with electronic fuel injection do not need to be "tuned". The engine operation is "managed" by electronics. The air filter and spark plug will require occasional replacement but there are no adjustments to be made. Those of us who have "tuned" cars in the past (replacing and gapping points, setting dwell and timing, and adjusting the carburetor) will know what I mean.

Also, consider that 80% of the electricity for your electric cart is generated by burning coal and natural gas. I assume you also drive a gasoline powered car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
From bbbbbb. Where is the comment that anyone despises anything??????

Please. Let it be factual folks.

Regarding electric, SECO says with my charger, it costs 15 to 19 cents an hour to charge cart in the garage. If we run the gauge down to a bit over half full,, that means we do the rec centers (4) , two movies and three trips to the stores. For those of you who are from Rio Linda the gauge will be a little bit above the one half mark. That is about it for the week. Then at home it takes abut 4 hours or less to charge, so try to get your math polished up, that means about 60 to 76 cents. An earlier poster said he is considering electric, that is a fact.
Here is a small addition from an older Combustion person: To burn one pint, about one pound of gas in an internal combustion engine.......... (IF the engine is perfectly tuned and a lot of them are not) it takes 14 pounds of air. So 15 pounds of exhaust are going out the exhaust pipe. While going through the tunnels, a lot of it is there, try not to breathe those products, just a suggestion. last time I checked my cart does not have an exhaust pipe, I am glad to see that.

Last edited by biker1; 01-28-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Guess I'm late to the dance but here are my thoughts: I have a 2017 gas Yamaha cart. I have nearly 2000 miles on it and have never had any smell whatsoever. My wife has an electric cart but always rides with me when we are together. She has an acute sense of smell and has never noticed an odor either. Both she and I love the 2017 over the 2014 that I had before. My '17 is much quieter, the ride is vastly improved, the turn signal lights (inside the cab for ease of seeing) and the C&C windshield are four of my most favorite things about my cart. To repeat: perhaps I'm unusually fortunate but a smell is not a part of my world.
Geezzz mine is a 2015 and I have only 1500 mile on it??????? I'm doing something wrong
Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Geezzz mine is a 2015 and I have only 1500 mile on it??????? I'm doing something wrong
Step away from the television.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
I'm only guessing that there must be some kind of a problem that they're having trouble diagnosing. I really feel sorry for them but don't you not buy a product because one other person had a problem.
Agreed!
Old 01-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
I really feel sorry for them, but don't you not buy a product because one other person had a problem.
True, but it's not only BayKid's dad. It's Mortech and jane and jbarracks and dietpepsi and others that have commented negatively. However, perhaps the unhappy buyers tend to comment; and the happy campers are all out driving their carts.

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-28-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Step away from the television.
Agree as soon as the crowding lessens until then like winter months up north I'll hibernate
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
That's funny, Rubicon. I had 11550 on my 2014, but then I use my cart for everything except when I have to go off campus for something. Perhaps I could say, "you should get out more often?".
Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Default Gas Carts

How many miles do gas carts usually last?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I did end up buying the 2017 quiet model yesterday up at Carts and Clubs in Ocala. Drove a different cart than the one I had driven more locally and there were no fumes at all, probably the cart had been driven more. I brought my husband with me and he loved the suspension of the new golf cart, the quiet, and how it drove on the uneven grassy area at the golf cart lot.

They also put extra insulation under the seat at Carts and Clubs. They have added some nice encased exterior lighting to the cart and interior lighting as well which is nice for night time. They have a great new windshield which folds at the top like the old ones but also has vents on the bottom that slide, and they moved the line on the windshield down so it is not in your line of vision. They had some other things I liked better then here in The Villages but it was a tough call where to buy from. Pros and cons of each.

One thing of interest for all of you.
After talking with both Carts and Clubs and The Villages, I was feeling a little crazy about who is telling the truth so I called Yamaha Corporation. Your Yamaha warranty is not voided when there are changes to the cart. Both stores honor the Yamaha warranty and perform service accordingly to the carts they sell.

Additionally, because the 2017 has a high performance clutch, the cart is better when it is set at 23/24 (yes I know the legal is 20). But the cart will do better when set at 24 and that does not void the warranty. However, The Villages Car shops will not service them when set at 24. The person at Yamaha was VERY clear about what the best performance would be from the cart and it is 23/34 mph. This confirms what Carts and Clubs had told me, but because of being told differently by two different companies and not understanding mechanics, I checked.

I was also told by a salesperson here that the enclosures at Carts and Clubs was poor. Not so, they make a really nice tight fitting enclosure on premises and also have an option which I did not get, but they have curtains that slide like shower curtains with a magnet enclosure for those who struggle with the roll up sides. It is bulkier and not my style, but a fabulous option if you struggle with arthritis or do not like rolling curtains.

Bottom line, I bought the new one from Ocala and feel happy with my choice, but you can not go wrong from local or there, for about a $250 difference. One sort of fun but totally decadent thing I added which is not needed by any means was a remote start for the golf cart, so no key needed. You still get keys, but it was just a fun add on. And bought the stock aqua blue color and upgraded to the high back Sportster seats in yellow and blue and white, with bright yellow trim. Will take 5-6 weeks. Dave Johnson was sales person and VERY patient while I spent 2 1/2 hours choosing and coordinating. Enjoyed my experience with them and did meet the owner as well who some people have said has not been pleasant to them. Only time will tell, he was very nice at first meeting.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage

A lot of miles if you are content to replace parts that will eventually wear out. My own expectations are the engine, the most expensive part, will be good for 4000 hours or about 64,000 miles. However, that is 16 years at our current usage and I am pretty sure we will replace it with something new before then. How diligent you are with maintenance will matter. I have heard of gas carts with over 50,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
How many miles do gas carts usually last?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I did end up buying the 2017 quiet model yesterday up at Carts and Clubs in Ocala. Drove a different cart than the one I had driven more locally and there were no fumes at all, probably the cart had been driven more. I brought my husband with me and he loved the suspension of the new golf cart, the quiet, and how it drove on the uneven grassy area at the golf cart lot.

They also put extra insulation under the seat at Carts and Clubs. They have added some nice encased exterior lighting to the cart and interior lighting as well which is nice for night time. They have a great new windshield which folds at the top like the old ones but also has vents on the bottom that slide, and they moved the line on the windshield down so it is not in your line of vision. They had some other things I liked better then here in The Villages but it was a tough call where to buy from. Pros and cons of each.

One thing of interest for all of you.
After talking with both Carts and Clubs and The Villages, I was feeling a little crazy about who is telling the truth so I called Yamaha Corporation. Your Yamaha warranty is not voided when there are changes to the cart. Both stores honor the Yamaha warranty and perform service accordingly to the carts they sell.

Additionally, because the 2017 has a high performance clutch, the cart is better when it is set at 23/24 (yes I know the legal is 20). But the cart will do better when set at 24 and that does not void the warranty. However, The Villages Car shops will not service them when set at 24. The person at Yamaha was VERY clear about what the best performance would be from the cart and it is 23/34 mph. This confirms what Carts and Clubs had told me, but because of being told differently by two different companies and not understanding mechanics, I checked.

I was also told by a salesperson here that the enclosures at Carts and Clubs was poor. Not so, they make a really nice tight fitting enclosure on premises and also have an option which I did not get, but they have curtains that slide like shower curtains with a magnet enclosure for those who struggle with the roll up sides. It is bulkier and not my style, but a fabulous option if you struggle with arthritis or do not like rolling curtains.

Bottom line, I bought the new one from Ocala and feel happy with my choice, but you can not go wrong from local or there, for about a $250 difference. One sort of fun but totally decadent thing I added which is not needed by any means was a remote start for the golf cart, so no key needed. You still get keys, but it was just a fun add on. And bought the stock aqua blue color and upgraded to the high back Sportster seats in yellow and blue and white, with bright yellow trim. Will take 5-6 weeks. Dave Johnson was sales person and VERY patient while I spent 2 1/2 hours choosing and coordinating. Enjoyed my experience with them and did meet the owner as well who some people have said has not been pleasant to them. Only time will tell, he was very nice at first meeting.
Thanks Jane, that's a great report.
Carts and Clubs doesn't make Yesteryear Carts, so I have to deal with Villages Golf Carts.
But so far, they've been absolutely great and very patient.
I have one question....
If the cart is set for 24, do you have to always drive it at 24 to reap the benefit of the high performance clutch?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I do not think so. You would never drive 24 on the streets here as you would get a ticket and be at risk yourself and for others, but I think setting it to 24 allows you to use the performance of the clutch when it would be safe to do so. What it does is allow you to use the full performance of the clutch vs never being able to do so.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Sage

The only thing they have done is adjusted the governor, which controls the maximum engine RPMs. The maximum speed of the cart, as controlled by the governor, doesn't impact any aspects of the performance of the cart at speeds less than the maximum (with the possible exception of flat out acceleration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I do not think so. You would never drive 24 on the streets here as you would get a ticket and be at risk yourself and for others, but I think setting it to 24 allows you to use the performance of the clutch when it would be safe to do so. What it does is allow you to use the full performance of the clutch vs never being able to do so.

Last edited by biker1; 01-29-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The only thing they have done is adjusted the governor, which controls the maximum engine RPMs. The maximum speed of the cart, as controlled by the governor, doesn't impact any aspects of the performance of the cart at speeds less than the maximum (with the possible exception of flat out acceleration).
Thanks for the explanation Biker.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:56 PM
Gold member

Thanks, Jane. If the cart can do 23-24MPH, does it come with a speedometer so the driver can keep it legal on the street?

Good luck, and please keep us informed.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, gas, yamaha, landing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.