2020 Yamaha QuiteTech II Golf Tech Questions Including Oil Change

Old 05-05-2024, 02:00 PM
Sage

One of the oil change metrics in the Yamaha owner’s manual is miles. Their recommendation for oil changes is 1250 miles, at least for the year of my cart (2014). If you want a nice round number use 1000 miles which should be about 20 gallons of gas since you should get about 50 mpg. Regarding gas, regular 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol is fine according to the Yamaha manual. If you have extended periods of non use than ethanol free and a fuel stabilizer may be of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post
Great Information ! Thanks.

I’ve been using ethanol free gasoline from Wawa. Does anyone have an estimate on how many hours on the engine based on gas consumption? I have no meter but gas usage should help schedule routine maintenance.

Last edited by biker1; 05-05-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:03 PM

Ill jump in here and give a little more food for though and you can take the info or discard it.
We have seen some issues with the use of non ethanol fuel in the quiet tech cars, not sue why yet but we do recommend 89 or 93 fuel in those cars.
I get those that are DIYers but there is a lot to be said for those of us that work on alot of carts. We are seeing an issue with the QT cars , but we check the issue during a service to prevent the issue.
All carts have issues that are preventable if looked at during a service and its not in any service manual or on you tube.
A good tech is looking, feeling, at the issues for each particular golf car. Have had many DIYers who thought they were saving money by doing it themselves, only to have a major issue that was preventable with the right eyes looking at it.
Im just putting this info out there in an effort to prevent issues. I know some of you dont like my comments and thats ok, but be aware many of the issues are preventable.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Ill jump in here and give a little more food for though and you can take the info or discard it.
We have seen some issues with the use of non ethanol fuel in the quiet tech cars, not sue why yet but we do recommend 89 or 93 fuel in those cars.
I get those that are DIYers but there is a lot to be said for those of us that work on alot of carts. We are seeing an issue with the QT cars , but we check the issue during a service to prevent the issue.
All carts have issues that are preventable if looked at during a service and its not in any service manual or on you tube.
A good tech is looking, feeling, at the issues for each particular golf car. Have had many DIYers who thought they were saving money by doing it themselves, only to have a major issue that was preventable with the right eyes looking at it.
Im just putting this info out there in an effort to prevent issues. I know some of you dont like my comments and thats ok, but be aware many of the issues are preventable.

some issues with the use of non ethanol fuel in the quiet tech cars

Quiet tech carts IMO run hotter do to the quieting. The extra heat in engine compartment maybe be issue? Reason I say this friend has issue when I pulled seat i noticed heat which hotter than my non quiet tech cart. His exhaust was plugged up causing acceleration problem (spark screen). Which might have caused the extra heat?

I for one something’s don’t agree but your comments are welcome IMO. I sure you see far more issues than I do.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
We are seeing an issue with the QT cars , but we check the issue during a service to prevent the issue.
Could you be specific about what issue (not eth fuel) you are seeing so that we can look for that too, and save everybody a lot of hassles
Old 05-07-2024, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
One of the oil change metrics in the Yamaha owner’s manual is miles. Their recommendation for oil changes is 1250 miles, at least for the year of my cart (2014). If you want a nice round number use 1000 miles which should be about 20 gallons of gas since you should get about 50 mpg. Regarding gas, regular 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol is fine according to the Yamaha manual. If you have extended periods of non use than ethanol free and a fuel stabilizer may be of value.
Thanks, I downloaded the manual and found the hours metric for oil changes. I ordered a Digital LCD Hour Meter Kit that I’ll be installing. It has a total hours meter along to two trip hours meters & I’ll be using it for oil changes.

The cart came with a GPS thing which displies speed, time of day, direction, and trip duration but the duration is zellowed out when the key is turned off. It also has mirrors, typtical light seen in TV, directionsnuals & a horn.

So far I installed seats bults & an unique key.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:47 AM
Gold member

Give B&S SAE 30 a try...Do a UOA.

Robot or human?
Old 05-08-2024, 07:02 AM
Sage

The Yamaha manual can be a bit confusing with the multiple metrics for oil changes. I find the 250 hours and 1200 miles to be at odds with each other. As I indicated previously, I use a 50 hour change interval with 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10w-30 Mobil1. This might be overkill but after 2000 hours on the engine, oil consumption is nill, and miles per gallon and top speed are unchanged.

Quote:
Thanks, I downloaded the manual and found the hours metric for oil changes. I ordered a Digital LCD Hour Meter Kit that I’ll be installing. It has a total hours meter along to two trip hours meters & I’ll be using it for oil changes.

The cart came with a GPS thing which displies speed, time of day, direction, and trip duration but the duration is zellowed out when the key is turned off. It also has mirrors, typtical light seen in TV, directionsnuals & a horn.

So far I installed seats bults & an unique key.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
If this 2020 Yamaha cart does not have an hour meter, then it was what is called a "Fleet Cart". This means it was at some point in its life used on a golf course somewhere. Once it came off lease then they sell these carts to dealers who spruce them up and sell them. You of course have no idea how much use this cart has had in its life.
The Yamaha PTV Personal Transportation Vehicle carts are sold by actual Yamaha dealers like The Villages Golf Cart stores. They all have hour meters.

Where is this hour meter located? I looked in manual and my cart don’t have one where it shown and none on dash, yes, it has FI and gas gauge.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The Yamaha manual can be a bit confusing with the multiple metrics for oil changes. I find the 250 hours and 1200 miles to be at odds with each other. As I indicated previously, I use a 50 hour change interval with 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10w-30 Mobil1. This might be overkill but after 2000 hours on the engine, oil consumption is nill, and miles per gallon and top speed are unchanged.
Not overkill, if no filter, then the frequent oil changes will keep the oil clean and working properly maintaining the engine. Reference the car oil change thread where frequent filter changes keeps the oil clean and maintaining the engine properly.

great pointers in this thread, love this bbs
Old 05-08-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Where is this hour meter located? I looked in manual and my cart don't have one where it shown and none on dash, yes, it has FI and gas gauge.
Mine also did not have one. I just ordered one (Hour meter with two trip hour meters) from Amazon, not very expensive and looks easy to install.
Amazon.com

Last edited by MikeVillages; 05-08-2024 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Added link to hour meter
Old 05-08-2024, 12:37 PM
Sage

If your flavor of Yamaha has an hour meter it would typically be part of the round fuel gauge. That is where mine is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Where is this hour meter located? I looked in manual and my cart don’t have one where it shown and none on dash, yes, it has FI and gas gauge.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage

Yamaha actually warranties these engines for 5000 hours if you use Yamalube and follow the maintenance schedule. There is undoubtedly some fine print (that I didn’t bother to read) and perhaps a little marketing involved but that is still a pretty impressive number to throw out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Not overkill, if no filter, then the frequent oil changes will keep the oil clean and working properly maintaining the engine. Reference the car oil change thread where frequent filter changes keeps the oil clean and maintaining the engine properly.

great pointers in this thread, love this bbs
Old 05-08-2024, 04:09 PM

The model of my Yamaha behind the seat is “DR2A20 EFI”. I assume that stands for: Drive 2 2020 electronic fule injection. Anyone know if that is correct and what does the “A" stand for? I googled it but didn't find anything.

Old 05-17-2024, 04:27 PM

The Hours Meter I Installed on my Golf Cart

I exchanged the hour meter I recently purchased for this similar meter.
It's interesting that the manual basically states to connect the “-" pin to "-”, and the remaining 3 pins connect to “+". The instructions on the Amazon site give details for each of the 4 pins.

My connections:
“-" pin to "-” of the golf cart.
“+" pin to golf cart power on key wire. This has the meter do a self test, including digits displaying, and background light goes on, then off.
“E” pin also to power on key wire. This accumulates run time and pulsates the run icon.
“B” pin to the headlights on wire. This controls the backlight.

Amazon.com

Old 05-17-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The Hours Meter I Installed on my Golf Cart

I exchanged the hour meter I recently purchased for this similar meter.
It's interesting that the manual basically states to connect the “-" pin to "-”, and the remaining 3 pins connect to “+". The instructions on the Amazon site give details for each of the 4 pins.

My connections:
“-" pin to "-” of the golf cart.
“+" pin to golf cart power on key wire. This has the meter do a self test, including digits displaying, and background light goes on, then off.
“E” pin also to power on key wire. This accumulates run time and pulsates the run icon.
“B” pin to the headlights on wire. This controls the backlight.

Amazon.com
That isn't actually measuring engine hours. It is measuring key on hours. Yamaha hour meters measure engine run time. If you play a round of golf and leave your key on while teeing off, etc. those minutes turn into hours and are counted.

The red/white wires at the voltage regulator,solenoid, and stop relay are hot only when accelerator pedal is pressed. One side (may also be a red/white wire) of the accelerator switch is also hot only when pedal is pressed also, but access may be more difficult.

Tags
golf, oil, 55+, mileage, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.