2023 Yamaha gas golf cart - Battery Drain

Old 01-27-2024, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,378 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdrm View Post
I had the same issue with my Yamaha gas cart, I took it in for service and they found that the speedometer on the steering wheel was draining the battery when the cart was turned off. They rewired it and now when I start my cart up it takes 20-30 seconds for the speedometer to calibrate and startup but I no longer have any battery issues.
We just found out about this after purchasing a new 2024. It is an ongoing problem that they have no solution for and have been lying about. I refuse to buy a gas cart and have to plug it in everynight.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:21 AM

Brand new 2023 Yamaha QT. Yesterday drove from Monarch Grove to Okeechobee. 9 holes no devices on.no issues. Off to Spanish Springs for music and a walk around the fair. Loaded up and drove 1+ hour back to Monarch Grove with lights on. No warning, no dimming of lights everything fine, but the car died suddenly 1 block from home. Just quit. A little concerned based on what I’m reading here.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,071 Times in 547 Posts
Default Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Brand new 2023 Yamaha QT. Yesterday drove from Monarch Grove to Okeechobee. 9 holes no devices on.no issues. Off to Spanish Springs for music and a walk around the fair. Loaded up and drove 1+ hour back to Monarch Grove with lights on. No warning, no dimming of lights everything fine, but the car died suddenly 1 block from home. Just quit. A little concerned based on what I’m reading here.
I think there is a fuse under the seat. If you had full power and it just died, it means your voltage regulator etc are all working.

On the other hand, if you didn’t notice a slow dimming or you have several bells and whistles all the while the radio is going too it could mean there has been more power draw than available.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-28-2024, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
I think there is a fuse under the seat. If you had full power and it just died, it means your voltage regulator etc are all working.

On the other hand, if you didn’t notice a slow dimming or you have several bells and whistles all the while the radio is going too it could mean there has been more power draw than available.
Same issue yesterday drove to course played 18, nothing used except for onboard speedometer, and normal running lights (not all extra fun light)
No music ( because it’s a golf course) cart died while waiting to turn into driveway. Heading Monday to speak with someone other then sales person who’s only advice is to trickle every day.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The Yamaha owners manual states 22 PSI, if you are looking at the side of the tires, this is the MAX pressure, not the recommended pressure, and at 36 PSI your tires are going to wear out prematurely.
Exactly right at 22 lbs. Most don't realize that these 10-inch Loadstar tires are actually trailer tires that can be aired up to 36 lbs. for heavy trailer loads. Our golf carts only weigh around 750 lbs. before passenger weight. Airing up higher than 22 lbs. does wear out the center of the tire faster and gives a harsher ride.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Same issue yesterday drove to course played 18, nothing used except for onboard speedometer, and normal running lights (not all extra fun light)
No music ( because it’s a golf course) cart died while waiting to turn into driveway. Heading Monday to speak with someone other then sales person who’s only advice is to trickle every day.
Buyer beware if you are buying a new Yamaha cart. The battery will die if it is not trickle charged or rewired to the ignition causing a 20 to 30 second delay on the speedometer. Paying upwards of $15000 for a cart that needs a workaround is unacceptable. This has been going on for over a year and they have been covering it up and lying about it.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Buyer beware if you are buying a new Yamaha cart. The battery will die if it is not trickle charged or rewired to the ignition causing a 20 to 30 second delay on the speedometer. Paying upwards of $15000 for a cart that needs a workaround is unacceptable. This has been going on for over a year and they have been covering it up and lying about it.
Mmm… mine is a 2022 cart, so over 2 years.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Mmm… mine is a 2022 cart, so over 2 years.
Unbelievable! I just wish I had known this before I bought.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Fully loaded except for sunroof is now over $21, 000. Have to trickle everyday is criminal
Old 01-28-2024, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I looked at the side, saw 36. I guess i will take some air out.

8” or 10” require different pressures IMO. 22 little low for 10” for back tires that support majority of weigh IMO.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Fully loaded except for sunroof is now over $21, 000. Have to trickle everyday is criminal
agree, way over priced for what they get.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Drive back should keep battery full charged. To know for sure load test battery. I suspect you have other problems. It under warranty call them.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Drive back should keep battery full charged. To know for sure load test battery. I suspect you have other problems. It under warranty call them.
No, this is a known problem with the speedometer/odometer constantly draining the battery even when everything is shut off.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
My cart died on the course about halfway thru 18 holes. I just had LED lights installed. These shouldn't draw too much; however, they contributed to the problem. The short start again stop again use on the golf course doesn't recharge the battery enough and it can eventually die. My light installer put a kill switch on the cart to turn off the LEDs when playing golf, etc. I haven't had this problem reoccur.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
We just found out about this after purchasing a new 2024. It is an ongoing problem that they have no solution for and have been lying about. I refuse to buy a gas cart and have to plug it in everynight.
Value of my 2020 just went up. Still using original battery and do not need to mess with a trickle charger.

Tags
battery, cart, service, time, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.