2023 Yamaha gas golf cart - Battery Drain

Old 01-22-2024, 09:29 AM
Default 2023 Yamaha gas golf cart - Battery Drain

I have a 2023 Yamaha gas golf cart bought from the Villages. I’ve had three recent instances in which the battery has drained and left me stranded. The cart does have those LED strip lights on the side that run whenever the cart is on. In each of the three cases, I’ve connected a small battery charger (not a battery tender) which charges it back up to full strength in about 24-48 hours using the low-power mode.

After this third time, I called the service department to schedule service. They mentioned to me that if I’m not driving it near daily for at least five miles, the cart doesn’t have enough time to fully recharge the battery. I live close to a championship course and just doing a round of 18 ( stop, start, stop, start )isn’t enough time to recharge the battery. Seems a bit strange to get such advice from the service department, as I’m picturing every cart barn at any club would just be full of carts sitting around on battery chargers every night.

It’s getting more difficult to be able to trust the cart won’t leave me stranded. I’m tempted to take it back and ask them to put those running lights on a [on/off] switch to minimize the drain.

What are others doing? Is this normal? How often do you connect your battery tender?

Thank you in advance. :-)

Last edited by evfan; 01-22-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

My 2023 has been sitting in the garage since September. It’s driven for 5-10 minutes once per month and it hasn’t drained the battery. Also it should have a quick disconnect on the battery that you just turn. That will help if you aren’t driving it much. Our salesperson showed us this.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Need to load test the battery and see if you any drain while it’s setting. Also probably need to check volts when engine running. I find that story hard to believe also. This device will tell you exactly what you’re battery doing.

ANCEL BST200 or similar.

Amazon.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kDc8gAypW4

If all else fails to find anything get bigger (CCA) battery. I sure they put the cheapest one they could buy in cart.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-22-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Sounds like you have a parasitic drain happening somewhere in your your system. I had one on our car a couple years back. Found out of all things it was the car's radio console intermittently coming on. The radio itself was still off but the console was shorted. I found it and replaced it.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

The lights won't drain the battery unless they are on. In your garage they ought to be off so not a problem.

I can imagine you might have a problem if:
- You live close to the course and don't drive far to get there
- You do a lot of stopping and starting with only a short distance in between (like on a golf course)
- You leave the key on the whole time

With the key on, the headlights or running lights will be on using some small amount of charge. Every time you start moving the starter motor uses some amount of charge to get the cart moving. If you only drive a short distance the amount of charge put back into the battery would be less than what is taken out - over time you lose ground.

If that is what is happening then over a matter of time (a month maybe?) the battery will eventually lose enough charge that it will not start.

Going for a longer drive or attaching a charger occasionally should help.

You might also want to check the voltage at the battery, it should be higher when the engine is running. If it is not higher then that would be an indication that the charging circuit is not working correctly which would also explain why it loses charge over time. Hopefully, this is not the problem but it should be covered by warranty if it is.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-22-2024, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

evfan, a lot of good advice so far. To expand a little, check the small belt to the starter/generator and make sure it is tight. Next if you have a digital meter, set for 20 VDC and connect to the battery terminals should read close to 12.5 VDC, place the golf cart in neutral, and start the cart, at medium RPM, the voltage should go to 14.5 VDC for charging. Final test, disconnect the positive battery lead, set your digital meter for AMPS start at the 5 to 2 amp range, and connect the meter between the battery positive terminal and the positive battery lead, if you get a reading you have a parasitic load. Start removing the fuses one at a time until you find the source of the drain. The repair of the parasitic drain will depend on what is causing it.
Hope this helps.
NOTE: I have the equipment and expertise to help you if you do not, let me know.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Yes, I have the same problem. My cart from Golf Cars at Sumter Landing after 2 years has 40 hours on it. I Ieave it on a trickle charger when I am not in TV but something is draining the battery and I want them to take whatever it is that’s doing that off. I can’t be a slave to driving my cart enough each day just to make sure I don’t get stranded.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

THE VILLAGE TINKER IS SPOT ON.... my guess is, it could be anything from a bad relay to
bad starter switch... Let us know after you find the problem...
Old 01-22-2024, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Mine sits in the garage for months at a time, and starts fine.

A month ago, wife left the key on and the lights drained the battery.

I have this
Amazon.com

I connected to battery, and drove around for about 30 minutes. It’s been fine since.

BTW, I also love this product to fill tires with air every 6 months.
My tires should be at 36 PSI, some were under 20.

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 01-22-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I can’t believe that they wouldn’t have you come in so they can check it out. It must be still under warranty. Another thought is the alternator or what ever charges the battery. Once or twice our battery was low after it was sitting but I just connected a jump start battery and drove to charge the battery. I would definitely insist on an appointment, everything here is good advice but why should you do it if it is under warranty.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

That happened in our Club Car and it was the radio. There is a non switched hot wire that constantly runs power to the unit to keep the stored radio channels in memory. I disconnected the wire and problem solved. Now we simply have to manually tune the radio. As already mentioned, if you don’t have a radio, there could be several other electrical issues causing either the drain, or lack of charge. The cart obviously should be immediately covered under warranty unless you have done wiring on it yourself since purchasing. Best of luck.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:57 PM

As a couple others have said, we have a 2023 Quietech and our Home Watch service takes it for a short drive every other week. It starts right up each time. I don't think it's normal that your battery is draining that way. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our 2023 quiet tech is doing the same thing. Went away for the weekend and came back it won’t start. This is the third time.

Mine also came from the villages. I Just called and told me if I don’t drive it every day battery needs to be kept on a trickle charger.

My 2006 and 2016 Yamaha, can sit for weeks on end and start right away. We have neighbors with the same issues drive daily or no start. There has to be something going on for all of these carts to Need to be driven daily or it won’t start.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Mine sits int he garage for months at a time, and starts fine.

I have this
Amazon.com

I connected to battery, and drove around for about 30 minutes. It’s been fine since.

36?
Old 01-22-2024, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Mine sits int he garage for months at a time, and starts fine.

I have this
Amazon.com

The Yamaha owners manual states 22 PSI, if you are looking at the side of the tires, this is the MAX pressure, not the recommended pressure, and at 36 PSI your tires are going to wear out prematurely.

Tags
battery, cart, service, time, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.