2023 Yamaha gas golf cart - Battery Drain

Old 01-24-2024, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
I have a Yamaha quiet tech 2023 also, and I got stuck on the 17th hole at Orange Blossom. The dealer said I let it sit too long to start...this after a full round of golf, and yes that is more than enough to keep the battery from draining on the 17th hole. There is a problem with these carts. I called Yamaha and they would not admit to anything and the dealer is clueless. I now carry a small jump box and turn off the speedometer display when playing golf, looking for possibilities.
Why not just get rid of the parasitic GPS speedometer? Our carts are set to max out at 20 MPH, so no speedometer needed. If you feel a need to know your traveling speed that bad, there are numerous apps you can use on your phone that are extremely accurate.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Why not just get rid of the parasitic GPS speedometer? Our carts are set to max out at 20 MPH, so no speedometer needed. If you feel a need to know your traveling speed that bad, there are numerous apps you can use on your phone that are extremely accurate.
The speedometer does not need to be parasitic. While the carts only go 20mph and there are navigation apps on our phones, it is the odometer portion of the GPS speedometer is what I use most often.

My GPS speedometer seems to be wired to turn off completely when the key is turned off. This means it takes a few seconds to find satellites and its location each time I turn it on. Since GPS doesn't work well indoors, it would probably take a few seconds to find its location anyway.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 01-24-2024, 10:20 AM

I talked to the Club Car dealer on 441 in Lady Lake. They said to charge my Club Car every day even if I haven't used it.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switter View Post
As others have said you can have the battery load tested to see if it's defective.

Not that this is completely relevant but I have a 2022 Suzuki king quad and the way they designed the new ones is that there is a load on the battery all the time for the electronics (I don't know anything about golf carts). the place that sold it to me told me to buy a trickle charger that you connect to the battery when you're not riding it. It was like 50 bucks and it works perfect. It has a cable that you attached to the battery and leave there so all you have to do is plug it in to the unit that plugs into the wall. it monitors the state of discharge of the battery and only charge when it needs to.

The main reason they told me to buy it is because in Minnesota, your ATV usually sits for longer period of times during the winter.

The one I have is a YUASA:
Amazon.com

I use this one and have been very happy with it. I have a pair of water-resistant ones the same company makes for the place "up north" for the jet-ski and the boat. They work great, winter after winter without issue.

Amazon.com
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Old 01-24-2024, 10:52 AM
Default Marine battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfan View Post
I have a 2023 Yamaha gas golf cart bought from the Villages. I’ve had three recent instances in which the battery has drained and left me stranded. The cart does have those LED strip lights on the side that run whenever the cart is on. In each of the three cases, I’ve connected a small battery charger (not a battery tender) which charges it back up to full strength in about 24-48 hours using the low-power mode.

After this third time, I called the service department to schedule service. They mentioned to me that if I’m not driving it near daily for at least five miles, the cart doesn’t have enough time to fully recharge the battery. I live close to a championship course and just doing a round of 18 ( stop, start, stop, start )isn’t enough time to recharge the battery. Seems a bit strange to get such advice from the service department, as I’m picturing every cart barn at any club would just be full of carts sitting around on battery chargers every night.

It’s getting more difficult to be able to trust the cart won’t leave me stranded. I’m tempted to take it back and ask them to put those running lights on a [on/off] switch to minimize the drain.

What are others doing? Is this normal? How often do you connect your battery tender?

Thank you in advance. :-)
I replaced my battery with a Marine starting battery from Autozone. These batteries can take deep discharge much better than standard auto batteries

Old 01-24-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It shows a lot more information than only speed. Fuel level, heading, temperature, odometer, range until empty, battery voltage, time+date.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM

Had similar issue with two Yamahas. Went to Advance Auto Parts and purchased a small toggle switch (~$40) for the battery. Literally takes 5 seconds to toggle on or off. I do it each time I start or return to the garage. Problem solved.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
It shows a lot more information than only speed. Fuel level, heading, temperature, odometer, range until empty, battery voltage, time+date.
I guess I’m a minimalist. Our carts have a fuel gauge, an hour meter, a compass, and I wear an analog wrist watch. Have never felt the need for any additional information while driving the cart.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwin View Post
I talked to the Club Car dealer on 441 in Lady Lake. They said to charge my Club Car every day even if I haven't used it.

Did they tell you that before brought cart? Sounds like load to me. Glad mine is older cart I don’t have any problems with it.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have a 2023 Yamaha gas golf cart bought from the Villages. I’ve had three recent instances in which the battery has drained and left me stranded. The cart does have those LED strip lights on the side that run whenever the cart is on. In each of the three cases, I’ve connected a small battery charger (not a battery tender) which charges it back up to full strength in about 24-48 hours using the low-power mode.

After this third time, I called the service department to schedule service. They mentioned to me that if I’m not driving it near daily for at least five miles, the cart doesn’t have enough time to fully recharge the battery. I live close to a championship course and just doing a round of 18 ( stop, start, stop, start )isn’t enough time to recharge the battery. Seems a bit strange to get such advice from the service department, as I’m picturing every cart barn at any club would just be full of carts sitting around on battery chargers every night.

It’s getting more difficult to be able to trust the cart won’t leave me stranded. I’m tempted to take it back and ask them to put those running lights on a [on/off] switch to minimize the drain.

What are others doing? Is this normal? How often do you connect your battery tender?

2nd article I have seen today about newer golf cart which had unusual problem and Villages Golf Carts gave incompetent answer.

Have had my cart 3 years and use it on short and long trips and let it sit for 7 weeks. Battery still great. 50% of the time I use my golf cart to play champ courses. Probably drive at least 5 miles and cart is probably started about 100 times and cart still starts effortlessly. Most of the other trips are < 2 mile roundtrip jaunts to the local stores.

To answer your last question, have NEVER used a battery tender or a charger. Looks like you have a bad battery that is not capable of taking a charge. Those LED lights(if not on) should not be wiping out the battery. As an aside Villages estimated the cost of replacing the well for the clubs at 2X my actual repair cost at Country Power. Might go to an auto parts store and see if battery is OK

Old 01-24-2024, 09:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Our 2023 quiet tech is doing the same thing. Went away for the weekend and came back it won’t start. This is the third time.

Mine also came from the villages. I Just called and told me if I don’t drive it every day battery needs to be kept on a trickle charger.

My 2006 and 2016 Yamaha, can sit for weeks on end and start right away. We have neighbors with the same issues drive daily or no start. There has to be something going on for all of these carts to Need to be driven daily or it won’t start.
Have a 2020 and no problems.

In meantime, why would anyone want a gas cart if they have to hook up a battery charger every day on a gas cart. This is a harder connection than the connection for an electric cart.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKeysor View Post
I have the exact same problem with my wife's 2023 QT. Also had the same problem with her 2020 QT that we had to sell because Village Golf Carts in Sumter and Brownwood could not fix the problem. Service manager at Sumter explained to me the same problem and suggested remedy. It makes sense, but I can't believe they don't upgrade the cheap batteries that Yamaha puts in their new carts. I have an EE degree so I understand everyone's suggestions, and I have checked for parasitic loads on both carts (found zero). VGC is apparently now selling all their new carts with a battery tender/maintainer included. A $50 battery tender/maintainer will fix the problem, but it's a pain trying to remember to plug it in.
Part of the reason, people buy a gas cart in TV because they do not have to worry about forgetting to charge the cart(agree that range is more important).

Maybe they now want to sell the long range/more expensive lithium battery carts. I would hate to have to plug in my gas cart everyday and still need to go to the gas station.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:55 AM

Quote:

I had this problem with my 2022. Turned out the Cheetah GPS speedometer was connected so that it was on even sign the key off, putting enough drain on the battery to kill it. It is now connected to the key circuit. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:38 AM

What size/type did you replace it with. Seems like the correct solution. Thx.

Last edited by lhosmer; 01-25-2024 at 08:39 AM. Reason: wrong placement

Old 01-25-2024, 11:59 AM

To whom are you asking this question?

Tags
battery, cart, service, time, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.