2023 Yamaha gas golf cart - Battery Drain

Old 01-28-2024, 02:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Brand new 2023 Yamaha QT. Yesterday drove from Monarch Grove to Okeechobee. 9 holes no devices on.no issues. Off to Spanish Springs for music and a walk around the fair. Loaded up and drove 1+ hour back to Monarch Grove with lights on. No warning, no dimming of lights everything fine, but the car died suddenly 1 block from home. Just quit. A little concerned based on what I’m reading here.
Was the engine running when it died or were you at a stop and it would not re start? Battery should have been re charging while you were driving.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I have been watching this thread, and it appears there is a solution: Reconnect the speedometer so it is TURNED OFF with the key, yes if it is like my aftermarket unit, you will not get any readings for around 30 seconds, I have been living with this for several years, it is not a problem. I cannot believe that the vendor has not figured this out. All the wiring is under the dash, you remove the current power supply wire to the speedometer and reconnect to the SWITCHED lead from the ignition switch. When done double check to make sure there are no other parasitic loads.
My other concern is the QUALITY of the factory batteries. Our 2016 vintage had a standard automotive grade battery, lasted at least 3+ years, and the replacement from Advanced Auto is going strong after 3+ years.
If someone has a wiring diagram I will be glad to make up the necessary changes and post.
I cannot believe the problems this is causing.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been watching this thread, and it appears there is a solution: Reconnect the speedometer so it is TURNED OFF with the key, yes if it is like my aftermarket unit, you will not get any readings for around 30 seconds, I have been living with this for several years, it is not a problem. I cannot believe that the vendor has not figured this out. All the wiring is under the dash, you remove the current power supply wire to the speedometer and reconnect to the SWITCHED lead from the ignition switch. When done double check to make sure there are no other parasitic loads.
My other concern is the QUALITY of the factory batteries. Our 2016 vintage had a standard automotive grade battery, lasted at least 3+ years, and the replacement from Advanced Auto is going strong after 3+ years.
If someone has a wiring diagram I will be glad to make up the necessary changes and post.
I cannot believe the problems this is causing.
I am also concerned about the reports of the cart dying on the way home. Even if the speedometer draws power when the cart is off, the charging circuit should be more than capable of keeping the battery charged while it is running. I would measure the voltage while the engine is running to ensure that it is actually charging.

In the end, trickle charging should not be necessary and any repairs/corrections should be handled under warranty for almost all 2023 carts.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-28-2024, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I am also concerned about the reports of the cart dying on the way home. Even if the speedometer draws power when the cart is off, the charging circuit should be more than capable of keeping the battery charged while it is running. I would measure the voltage while the engine is running to ensure that it is actually charging.

In the end, trickle charging should not be necessary and any repairs/corrections should be handled under warranty for almost all 2023 carts.
I agree with you, in a previous series of posts another villager noticed his 2017 Yamaha was actually OVERCHARGING the battery. He came up with a solution, which he implemented. I confirmed his solution, and modified our cart as it was also overcharging the battery, then with his concurrence I posted the details on this site. The interesting point is that a golf cart repair service overheard me discussing this with a neighbor, and he stated "this was a known problem, but it did not occur on all Yamahas".
My point I think Yamaha as well as the authorized dealers have a quality control problem.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Overcharging

Quote:
I agree with you, in a previous series of posts another villager noticed his 2017 Yamaha was actually OVERCHARGING the battery. He came up with a solution, which he implemented. I confirmed his solution, and modified our cart as it was also overcharging the battery, then with his concurrence I posted the details on this site. The interesting point is that a golf cart repair service overheard me discussing this with a neighbor, and he stated "this was a known problem, but it did not occur on all Yamahas".
My point I think Yamaha as well as the authorized dealers have a quality control problem.
Also, one should note, continuing to overcharge a battery reduces its capacity and will eventually ruin the battery. Many carts have modifications past original use standards from the factory. This too can affect the cart in unforeseen ways. Always disconnect the battery when charging with a charger. Rectifier circuits as well as other components can be shorted or burned through on the cart if this isn’t done. Diodes etc are meant for voltage to travel only one way.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 01-29-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Can you possibly repost that?
Old 01-29-2024, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Can you possibly repost that?
Here is the link, see post #14 for the updated diagram.

GAS golf cart battery voltage
Old 01-29-2024, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Here is the link, see post #14 for the updated diagram.

GAS golf cart battery voltage
Thanks so much VT
Old 01-29-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
No, this is a known problem with the speedometer/odometer constantly draining the battery even when everything is shut off.
It died after hour drive home. I would think that would recharge battery? If IT is battery problem you got eliminate battery first. Just cause it years old don’t mean it good. Process of elimination. If it’s the speedometer pull junk off and put one on that don’t draw. Don’t need GPS BS anyway on golf cart what got phone for.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
It died after hour drive home. I would think that would recharge battery? If IT is battery problem you got eliminate battery first. Just cause it years old don’t mean it good. Process of elimination. If it’s the speedometer pull junk off and put one on that don’t draw. Don’t need GPS BS anyway on golf cart what got phone for.
That’s not the point. It is ludicrous to pay 20K for a cart that has a problem like this that has been going on for over a year, maybe even two. We don’t use the GPS only the speedometer and odometer. Yamaha needs to fix this and Villages Golf Carts needs to disclose it before people take their carts only to have the battery die a week later.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:58 AM
Gold member
Default Totally

Quote:
That’s not the point. It is ludicrous to pay 20K for a cart that has a problem like this that has been going on for over a year, maybe even two. We don’t use the GPS only the speedometer and odometer. Yamaha needs to fix this and Villages Golf Carts needs to disclose it before people take their carts only to have the battery die a week later.
So very True!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-30-2024, 05:46 AM
Gold member
Default After though

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Brand new 2023 Yamaha QT. Yesterday drove from Monarch Grove to Okeechobee. 9 holes no devices on.no issues. Off to Spanish Springs for music and a walk around the fair. Loaded up and drove 1+ hour back to Monarch Grove with lights on. No warning, no dimming of lights everything fine, but the car died suddenly 1 block from home. Just quit. A little concerned based on what I’m reading here.
You know, IS YOUR GAS CAP vented? Is the cap any good?

They can clog and induce vapor lock in the fuel system. After thinking about what you said that seems more applicable if all electrical systems check out. Had the problem twice in my life, once in a large Suburban in the middle of the Saudi desert and on a chain saw.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwin View Post
I talked to the Club Car dealer on 441 in Lady Lake. They said to charge my Club Car every day even if I haven't used it.

Is it electric cart? OP has Yamaha and it’s gas?
Old 02-03-2024, 11:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Value of my 2020 just went up. Still using original battery and do not need to mess with a trickle charger.
You better get you one of these. It will tell you when your battery ready to fail. I’m willing to bet it getting close?

Amazon.com

Tags
battery, cart, service, time, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.