Question about street legal carts

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Sage
Default Question about street legal carts

Probably a dumb question...yesterday (near Lake Miona Rec Center) and today (near the Polo Club) I saw golf carts driving on Buena Vista. Are these carts what is termed "street legal" carts?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

yes....gn
Old 07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Sage

We HOPE so . Yestarday I watched a Club Car pull out of Mallory onto Odell and take a right, through the gate, through round about towards Virginia Trace. Was not aware CC made a street legal....
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
We HOPE so . Yestarday I watched a Club Car pull out of Mallory onto Odell and take a right, through the gate, through round about towards Virginia Trace. Was not aware CC made a street legal....
I saw one that had a "sold" sign on it at Cart World (authorized Club Car dealer) in Lady Lake. The salesman told me they were available but not a big seller. The specs indicated a relatively short range. He also pointed out the initial cost, state fees, insurance, and registration seem to turn people off.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default We have a street legal GEM

As was pointed out in a previous post, not sure the cost of insurance and tag is worth the extra 5 miles an hour, but we find the route to be much quicker....We are able to go to Best Buy, Sam's, and Home Depot..With a street legal cart you must have seat belts and windshield wipers also...max. LEGAL speed is 25 mph.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Is it legal for "street legal" golf carts to use the multi-modal paths? I had one pull out and pass me at about 30 mph the other day. I have also seen them in the cart lanes on the roads pulling out to pass other carts then pulling back into the cart lane again. Personally, I think if they are street legal they are automobiles and should stay on the streets. But, maybe I am being too harsh! Allan.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
Is it legal for "street legal" golf carts to use the multi-modal paths? I had one pull out and pass me at about 30 mph the other day. I have also seen them in the cart lanes on the roads pulling out to pass other carts then pulling back into the cart lane again. Personally, I think if they are street legal they are automobiles and should stay on the streets. But, maybe I am being too harsh! Allan.
Certainly they can use the multi-modal paths. Personally, I would rather they use the cart paths on some roads when possible if traffic is stacking up behind them. Remember their top speed is supposed to be 25 mph and the speed limit is higher than that. Yeah, I know some, if not most, can go faster. But I have seen lines of autos backed up behind a street legal cart doing about 25 on Bailey Trail. I thought that it would free up traffic if they had used the cart path there. But, they are within their rights to be where they were driving.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Personally they don't appeal to me - seems they are in the middle - annoying automobiles and non street legal carts. The thing I find amusing is that they MUST be powered by an electric motor. I'll stick to my gas powered Yamaha thanks. Allan.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.