Adding A back, Rear Facing Seat to Two Seater

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 PM
Default Adding A back, Rear Facing Seat to Two Seater

I'm considering adding a back, rear facing seat to my Yamaha 2 seater. Looking for opinions, pros and cons for doing this. Any recommendations on brands? Anyone who has tried to rent a 4 seater this winter knows, they are impossible to come by.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:49 AM

I know it is possible, kits are sold to do this.

I was told by the dealer that it is best to get a cart that was built ground-up for a four seater.

I bought a new four seater. During Thanksgiving when the family came down, four of us jumped on the cart and went sightseeing. We are tall and large people.

A neighbor yelled to us and we stopped. He reported that the rear tires were rubbing the body. Sure enough, he was correct.

I took the cart back to the dealer the next day and reported that the cart was setting on the rear tires with 4 grown adults onboard.

No questions were asked, the dealer added new shocks that took care of the problem -- I was given an invoice for $450+ for high capacity rear shocks and service. The invoice was marked no-charge.

Moral of this story, if you add rear seats, make sure you also get/invest in a beefier suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropnrose View Post
I'm considering adding a back, rear facing seat to my Yamaha 2 seater. Looking for opinions, pros and cons for doing this. Any recommendations on brands? Anyone who has tried to rent a 4 seater this winter knows, they are impossible to come by.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
if you add rear seats, make sure you also get/invest in a beefier suspension.
Absolutely.

Most of the dealer installed, flip-up rear-facing back seats do NOT have beefier suspension. Even with just a couple hundred pounds, the cart is dragging.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:55 AM

We bought a used cart that already had the seat addition. I have not opened it up to check if the HD springs were added but it seems to drive nicely with 4 adults. I did find noticeable on turns and pumped the tires up to about 30# and things were much better. I do notice it going up the hill to the bridge at Spanish Springs but we make it just fine. The kit looks to be pretty easy to add but, then do you want to go with the longer roof. Oh, then you will need to add side curtains designed for the longer roof. So it will get pretty costly with those additions. Ours does not have the extended roof. We are happy with it for the time being and it serves us well.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

If you don't change the rear springs and shocks, with two adults on board, it will be very unstable, especially going around turns.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
If you don't change the rear springs and shocks, with two adults on board, it will be very unstable, especially going around turns.
I will add, we have a 2017 Yamaha with the fold down rear facing seats, AND the heavy duty suspension. This has served us very well for 3-4 years, however, a few weeks ago we had some friends over and the cart was real squirrelly on curves. I realized there was more weight at the rear seats than the front seats, so be careful with seating.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

If you choose to add a rear seat, spend the extra money and get one that folds down and the foot panel folds up. It will cost you about double compared to a standard add on but it is worth it.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-19-2022, 11:51 AM

Yesterday morning, coming from Brownwood to Marsh Bend, there was an add on 4 seater in front of me. Not sure if it was a dealer conversion. The sun was coming up in the east and there were very prominent shadows on the cart path. I noticed that the passenger side front wheel actually lifted off the ground about 4 inches or more when they would make some of the curves. The shadows were not even near the tire. There were 4 people in the cart with two larger people in the back. I would suggest, if you get a four person conversion cart, that you pay attention to the weight distribution in the cart when operating with 4 people onboard.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We bought a 4 seater and the rear end had been built up. Generally when we have 4 people we take both carts so the guests get to drive. When we have three is when the back seat gets used mostly.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropnrose View Post
Most of the dealers around will add the fold up type seat for under $2000
Old 03-19-2022, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I wouldn't add the seats on if you gave them to me for free. It's dangerous enough around here without adding the seat on and looking for trouble.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

The seat I would recommend is called a 2 in 1 combo. A previous post said about $2,000 at local dealers. You can buy the kit online for $950 and install it yourself if you are handy. It took me about half a day and does require a decent set of tools.

I also chose to add LED lights across the back since the fold up foot rest partially obscures the tail lights when it is up.

You can do a search and find several places (including WalMart, oddly) that sell kits for your cart.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-19-2022, 10:04 PM

I was at Brownwood this evening and stood near Prima and watched the carts and cars cruising while the band played.

I saw about a 1/2 dozen carts with folks in the rear facing seats. I think all of them were sagging just over the rear tire -- most had less than a #2 pencil width between the fiberglass fender and the tire.

As we've discussed there is a larger shock/spring package that is recommended for addition of the rear seat.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I will also add that you need to have SEAT BELTS installed for the rear facing passengers. These seats can be slippery, and there is nothing for the rear seating passengers to hold on to. Our house rule, if you are riding in the rear seat you must use the seat belt.

Tags
seater, adding, back, rear, facing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.