Adding rear seat to Quiet Tech (2017-2019ish)? Powerful enough?

Old 09-04-2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Adding rear seat to Quiet Tech (2017-2019ish)? Powerful enough?

So in researching used golf carts I see a lot of 2 seaters. Many 4 seaters are overpriced for our needs. Anyhow, I've seen kits to add a rear seat. I'm mechanically inclined, so no issues doing the work.

However, on the Yamaha site it seems the 4 seaters have a more powerful motor. Wondering if anyone's added a rear seat and felt it was sufficiently powered or not? We probably won't often need the rear seat, but when we do it would be nice to have.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

We have a 2017 Yamaha drive 2 quietech that was fitted with the fold down rear seats. We have no problems with the engine, however, you will need to upgrade the rear suspension, and if there is too much weight in the rear seats the steering can get a little touchy. One additional item, many of the conversion kits have SMALL holes for the taillights to be seen, these do not work well plan on installing additional LED brake and turn signal lights.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We have a 2017 Yamaha drive 2 quietech that was fitted with the fold down rear seats. We have no problems with the engine, however, you will need to upgrade the rear suspension, and if there is too much weight in the rear seats the steering can get a little touchy. One additional item, many of the conversion kits have SMALL holes for the taillights to be seen, these do not work well plan on installing additional LED brake and turn signal lights.
Great, thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
So in researching used golf carts I see a lot of 2 seaters. Many 4 seaters are overpriced for our needs. Anyhow, I've seen kits to add a rear seat. I'm mechanically inclined, so no issues doing the work.

However, on the Yamaha site it seems the 4 seaters have a more powerful motor. Wondering if anyone's added a rear seat and felt it was sufficiently powered or not? We probably won't often need the rear seat, but when we do it would be nice to have.
Personally, I would not ride in a rear facing seat in a golf cart. Should not be a problem with power, but you will need to beef up the suspension.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Personally, I would not ride in a rear facing seat in a golf cart. Should not be a problem with power, but you will need to beef up the suspension.
Just as I never sit in the back seat of my own car, I don't have to ride in a rear facing seat...

If they want to go for the ride, they takes their chances...

-Tom Petty

Old 09-04-2023, 05:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Only if he wants to be able to steer it. 😂

Old 09-04-2023, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info. It's very helpful.
I forgot to add make sure you get and they use the seatbelts on the rear seats, this is very important....

Old 09-04-2023, 11:11 PM
Veteran member

We got this done at Carts and Clubs in Ocala earlier this year on our 2016 Yamaha. They upgraded the rear suspension and since then I added armrests with cupholders myself which really made it extra comfortable.

Our cart can easily go full speed ~23 MPH with 4 grown adults. I actually enjoy the ride sitting in the back sometimes.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

you can add a rear seat that folds up when not using it.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:33 AM
Default stiff ride

the rear suspension will need an upgrade to accomodate the potential additional weight thus when a 2 seater the ride is now much stiffer

Old 09-05-2023, 05:38 AM
Default golf cart

Quote:

don't forget to extend roof for water run-off

Old 09-05-2023, 05:57 AM

Word of caution. As you will need to beef up the rear suspension, you will find the ride is much stiffer and more uncomfortable whenever you do not have 4 passengers. Think how much you will really use a 4 seater and decide if the more uncomfortable ride is worth it.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:20 AM

We have a 2022 Yamaha Quietech PTV that was built as a 4 seat. There rear end gear set is different on these also. The shocks are the factory which I believe have a different spring rate. For our use, the back seat folds down and we carry things on the platform. We have the extended roof, matching seats and all of the LEDs

Last edited by bcsnave; 09-05-2023 at 06:36 AM.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Agreed here with the VillageTinker. I also have a refurbished 2017 I bought in 2018 and added, as an afterthought, the fold down rear seats, led’s are a must even without the seat. My only regret is not doing it right from the start of my rebuild so rear suspension has to be beefed up but most importantly the roof doesn’t extend over the rear seat and the cost was too much to replace roof. Advice is get the seat when you order the cart.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Word of caution. As you will need to beef up the rear suspension, you will find the ride is much stiffer and more uncomfortable whenever you do not have 4 passengers. Think how much you will really use a 4 seater and decide if the more uncomfortable ride is worth it.
Correct. And find up how much it would cost to rent another cart for the rare times when you have guests who want to ride in a golf cart instead of a car.

Tags
seat, rear, seaters, powerful, motor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.