Alternative to an Atomic?

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2022, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

Nothing like buying Made in China, right? Go help the communists. Give them your hard earned cash so they can strengthen their military. Your grandchildren and their children will thank you for it.
Yamaha, Easy Go, and Club Car golf carts aren't Chinese. It's your choice.
Do right.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Hello, we will be moving in the middle of June. We will be buying 2 carts, I have decided that one will be a Yamaha for my wife to use for golfing. I really like the idea and the looks of the Atomic. With a base price of almost $19k with lithium batteries, I was wondering if there is an alternative that can be bought locally. I see an internet company that sells a similar looking car for almost half the price (not lithium). Anyone with experience? Thanks
Don’t buy a cart from The Villages as they are the most expensive!!
Old 05-28-2022, 07:33 AM

Crown Carts in Wildwood has the View
Old 05-28-2022, 07:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Nothing like buying Made in China, right? Go help the communists. Give them your hard earned cash so they can strengthen their military. Your grandchildren and their children will thank you for it.
Yamaha, Easy Go, and Club Car golf carts aren't Chinese. It's your choice.
Do right.
But aren't most the parts on these carts from China? We don't make much anymore.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Ac in cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
This is a little off your requested information, but if I were you, I'd move here, buy the Yahama cart, drive it awhile and decide if you really want a cart that had AC and doors you have to open and close each time you get in and out. Driving a cart that you can just pop in and out of, get the wind in your face, and enjoy the current weather is a joy to behold IMHO. Sure, it's hot in the summer here, but after you're here a year you acclimate to the warmer temps and just learn to deal with them. You may find you don't want to be in AC all the time while you're out and about. A Yamaha with a solid enclosure gives you all the freedom of being in the breezes and also closing it up in an instant when the weather changes. That's a huge plus over the Sunbrella canvas enclosures. Wait and decide on the Atomic Cart after living here is my reccomendation...
I agree, also an electric ac unit will deplete the battery much faster, and in a small cabin when you open the door, say on the golf course all cool air will be out and the short hop from tee to ball or green to tee will not be enough to cool it down again. If being cool on the golf course is a main motive you will have to limit your golfing to winter months. Personally I have never used the rain curtains , if it's raining or really cold I use the car. I'm too old to be uncomfortable just to save fifty cents on gas. Also too frugal to spend $15,000 for a second cart to accomplish same.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:50 AM

Atomic Kool Kartz just south of 44 & Powell Road. We had a Yamaha and switched to the ION. Love it. Range is about 60 miles without ac, 50 with.

Just get used to the “Karens” that will give you dirty looks and a few choice comments about having a car on their paths!
Old 05-28-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I would not consider an electric cart unless it has lithium phosphate batteries. There are various types of lithium ion batteries. Lithium phosphate batteries are much safer in the line up of lithium types. Other pluses are extremely long life, < half the weight of lead acid, hold their charge at peak voltage for 80% + of discharge, and no maintenance. Disadvantage cost is 4x lead acid but if you weigh out the life it is a wash with lots more advantages.

Lithium iron phosphate vs lithium-ion: differences and advantages

It is not the easiest to understand new battery technology in a two minute course. Above is a link that will help start you.

Again I would not buy a brand new electric cart today without understanding battery technologies on the market available today. That is going to take a little effort.

Absolutely, IF you want electric then Lithium is the only way to go. Really the only downside is up front cost but they tend to last 2x longer than lead acid so in the end the cost is similar.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:49 AM
Default Another suggestion:

If you are looking for something that you are not going to use on the golf course, consider looking at what ETrike co. offers. ( Electric Tricycles for Sale - Electric Trikes for Adults & Seniors - eTrikeCo ). They are based over in St.Pete with a showroom there that you can visit. Although we have not purchased one as yet, we are seriously considering their model ETR300. It's a two passenger lithium battery powered trike that is fun to drive around ( we test drove it )--and you can purchase one for $4K,
Old 05-28-2022, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessemist View Post
Absolutely, IF you want electric then Lithium is the only way to go. Really the only downside is up front cost but they tend to last 2x longer than lead acid so in the end the cost is similar.
So what are the "big advantages" to lithium? Yes, you don't have to water them, but I don't find that to be a big issue. They are lighter, but electric carts are all pretty quick off the line, and are limited in speed anyway. They don't lose their charge over extended storage, but this can be mitigated with a battery minder. If lithium were the same price as lead acid it would be a no-brainer. But right now, the advantages are minimal IMHO.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
Atomic Kool Kartz just south of 44 & Powell Road. We had a Yamaha and switched to the ION. Love it. Range is about 60 miles without ac, 50 with.

Just get used to the “Karens” that will give you dirty looks and a few choice comments about having a car on their paths!
I'm sure that is the case, we got the same reaction when we first got E-bikes. Oh, and my wife's name is Karen, I get it!
Old 05-28-2022, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
So what are the "big advantages" to lithium? Yes, you don't have to water them, but I don't find that to be a big issue. They are lighter, but electric carts are all pretty quick off the line, and are limited in speed anyway. They don't lose their charge over extended storage, but this can be mitigated with a battery minder. If lithium were the same price as lead acid it would be a no-brainer. But right now, the advantages are minimal IMHO.

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) vs Lead Acid Batteries - Grepow Blog

Given cost justification within reason my vote goes with safety and less harm to the environment.

Compared to lead-acid batteries, the advantages of lithium iron phosphate battery packs are a lot more. In general, it has the following advantages: small size, lightweight, high energy density, long life, safe use, fast charging with high current, high and low-temperature resistance, large depth of discharge, environmental protection, and no memory effect.

-

Last edited by rustyp; 05-28-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
I bought from The Villages and am very satisfied, especially with their maintenance and repairs. I especially like the Spanish Springs service garage.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Comparing apples to apples how much more?
Old 05-28-2022, 10:36 AM
Default Are Lithium phosphate batteries for golf carts available today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I would not consider an electric cart unless it has lithium phosphate batteries. There are various types of lithium ion batteries. Lithium phosphate batteries are much safer in the line up of lithium types. Other pluses are extremely long life, < half the weight of lead acid, hold their charge at peak voltage for 80% + of discharge, and no maintenance. Disadvantage cost is 4x lead acid but if you weigh out the life it is a wash with lots more advantages.

Lithium iron phosphate vs lithium-ion: differences and advantages

It is not the easiest to understand new battery technology in a two minute course. Above is a link that will help start you.

Again I would not buy a brand new electric cart today without understanding battery technologies on the market available today. That is going to take a little effort.
Looks very interesting.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:12 AM

Stay with Yamaha, parts are easily available and easy to repair. There are no issues with Yamaha. Other brands yes.
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative, lithium, price, atomic, similar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.