Annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections

Old 05-06-2024, 06:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,312 Times in 567 Posts
Default Annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections

heard the subject of annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections arise in a couple of repair shops lately... Some valid points of excessive speed, wheel alignments, worn steering component's, and owner added accessories that have blinded oncoming cart drivers. I support this Program,if it will decrease our annual cart insurance premium.. not sure of how this will be enforced! thoughts?
Old 05-06-2024, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,265 Times in 367 Posts

more government regulation....sure.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,062 Times in 4,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
heard the subject of annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections arise in a couple of repair shops lately... Some valid points of excessive speed, wheel alignments, worn steering component's, and owner added accessories that have blinded oncoming cart drivers. I support this Program,if it will decrease our annual cart insurance premium.. not sure of how this will be enforced! thoughts?
Sounds more like a rumor than impending legislation. However, I wouldn't put it beyond our brilliant lawmakers to pass such a law, while thousands of uninsured motorists are driving their 1978 Chevy Impala clunker down the road with no required inspections.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

Not needed, same as car inspections, just more government regulations.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
I surly agree with some of the lights added to carts. They will blind you in daylight.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,653 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
A solution in search of a problem.
How much will it reduce insurance premiums? $10? $25?
Old 05-06-2024, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
A solution in search of a problem.
How much will it reduce insurance premiums? $10? $25?
I actually would be in favor of going such a route, IF AND WHEN they address the larger issue of automobile insurance. Require yearly inspections just like many other states, including a mandatory check on valid driver's license and insurance. If none, the car is impounded. Make the fine for not having the inspection done $10,000 and the car is impounded until insured. Make the penalty for driving without a license $10,000, car impounded, and mandatory 30 days in jailed for 1st offense. I think we'd not only see a drop in Florida's exorbitant premiums, but also safer highways.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,680 Times in 3,171 Posts

I support regulations for things that affect people OTHER than whoever the regulation was designed for. In other words -

Your golf cart lights might be perfect for you, to see when you drive at night. But if they're positioned such that they blind anyone coming toward you, and causes THEM to get into an accident, then a regulation needs to be made to set some kind of standard, or a standard range.

No greater than X brightness, no less than Y brightness, and must not be aimed more than Z feet above the ground. I don't care if there are "safety inspections" or not. But as long as there's the rule saying "you need to set your lights/speed this way" at least there's some accountability if someone causes an accident by not complying with the rule.

Just like the speed limit requirements for golf carts. You won't see annual tests to make sure your golf cart can't go faster than 20mph. It's still a rule though. If you cause an accident by going excessively fast, you can be held accountable. Without that rule, you can't be held accountable.

So I'm fine with more regulations and enforcement. I don't care one way or another about annual safety tests. As long as we know what the rules ARE, we can follow them or break them at our own risk, and be held accountable when our choices cause harm to someone else.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:58 AM

I would not welcome more regulation, however the bright lights need to be addressed somehow. I can't imagine why people think it is fine to have extremely bright LEDs on their carts while driving next to cars.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
I would not welcome more regulation, however the bright lights need to be addressed somehow. I can't imagine why people think it is fine to have extremely bright LEDs on their carts while driving next to cars.
But probably the only way to address those bright lights is through more regulation. I hope that "sheds light" on the problem
Old 05-06-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
No way this will be happening. This state does not even have auto/truck inspections.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,231 Times in 932 Posts

How many golf cart accidents have been attributed to faulty equipment? Most of the causes for cart accidents I've heard or read about involved alcohol, inattentive driving and other stupid acts of impaired driving ability. A useless solution for a nonexistent problem.

A real solution to the problem is driver testing to determine one's ability to safely operate a vehicle.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But probably the only way to address those bright lights is through more regulation. I hope that "sheds light" on the problem
A group of us could carry 1,000,000 candle power hand held spot lights. They could be directed into the eyes of the offending parties to education them.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:33 AM

Yes, if you need to light-up rooftops to drive at night, you probably should not be driving.

Should never use bright lights in residential neighborhoods, nor city streets.
They're on cars for country highways.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,920 Times in 5,330 Posts

I think auto insurance companies should be required to issue the insured driver a sticker to put on the vehicle, like the registration sticker. That way, you can verify that the vehicle is insured.

Annual vehicle inspections have very little value. I once knew a guy who worked for a new car dealership and his full time job was to inspect brand new vehicles as required by state law. Inspecting low mileage vehicles that are less than 5 years old is a waste of time and money. Also, mandatory vehicle inspections is a license to steal money from uninformed vehicle owners by service stations. I was once told that my inspection failed because my headlights were misaligned. It was not true, so I called the state police and they required the station to issue a sticker and refund the inspection fee.

Tags
cart, annual, safety, inspections, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.