Annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections

Old 05-06-2024, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,141 Times in 4,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think auto insurance companies should be required to issue the insured driver a sticker to put on the vehicle, like the registration sticker. That way, you can verify that the vehicle is insured.

Annual vehicle inspections have very little value. I once knew a guy who worked for a new car dealership and his full time job was to inspect brand new vehicles as required by state law. Inspecting low mileage vehicles that are less than 5 years old is a waste of time and money. Also, mandatory vehicle inspections is a license to steal money from uninformed vehicle owners by service stations. I was once told that my inspection failed because my headlights were misaligned. It was not true, so I called the state police and they required the station to issue a sticker and refund the inspection fee.
I agree it doesn't have much value vis a vis newer cars. But it might pull some of those exhaust spewing, no muffler, rusted through death mobiles off the road. More importantly, it would function as a choke point to identify uninsured vehicles and drivers without a valid license---as long as the penalties are severe enough. And the idea for a prominently displayed sticker is a great idea, easier for LEO's to spot the non-compliant drivers. Might also function as a resource for ICE
Old 05-06-2024, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
heard the subject of annual golf cart safety inspections arise in a couple of repair shops lately... Some valid points of excessive speed, wheel alignments, worn steering component's, and owner added accessories that have blinded oncoming cart drivers. I support this program,if it will decrease our annual cart insurance premium.. Not sure of how this will be enforced! Thoughts?
nfw
Old 05-06-2024, 06:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,632 Times in 602 Posts

Just think..the lines to service golf carts in Brownwood, LSL turn people away because too busy. This new line of inspection would cause an uproar because he can’t get regular service, much less an additional inspection service. You would have to pitch a tent for 2 days instead of arriving day of at 5am.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Just think..the lines to service golf carts in Brownwood, LSL turn people away because too busy. This new line of inspection would cause an uproar because he can’t get regular service, much less an additional inspection service. You would have to pitch a tent for 2 days instead of arriving day of at 5am.
great point!
Old 05-07-2024, 06:09 AM
Sage

Unless you are aware of some pending legislation (I looked and couldn’t find any) then I doubt such a thing is likely in the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
heard the subject of annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections arise in a couple of repair shops lately... Some valid points of excessive speed, wheel alignments, worn steering component's, and owner added accessories that have blinded oncoming cart drivers. I support this Program,if it will decrease our annual cart insurance premium.. not sure of how this will be enforced! thoughts?
Old 05-07-2024, 06:35 AM
Default This is Florida

Quote:
heard the subject of annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections arise in a couple of repair shops lately... thoughts?
We’re in the Deep South. The culture is not heavy on rules and regulations in Florida. While annual inspections may sound normal to people from up north, it’s not gonna happen here.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,952 Times in 3,733 Posts

A month late for April's Fool.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

Playing along...........enforcement, like so many permissive issues today, would be selective (if at all).
Old 05-07-2024, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Trolling
Old 05-07-2024, 09:04 AM

Many people move away from states with too much government. Too much regulation. Too many special rules.
Florida is not like that, and I am solidly against ever taking any changes towards that way of life. No matter how it gets twisted into being sold as "good" for everyone.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I actually would be in favor of going such a route, IF AND WHEN they address the larger issue of automobile insurance. Require yearly inspections just like many other states, including a mandatory check on valid driver's license and insurance. If none, the car is impounded. Make the fine for not having the inspection done $10,000 and the car is impounded until insured. Make the penalty for driving without a license $10,000, car impounded, and mandatory 30 days in jailed for 1st offense. I think we'd not only see a drop in Florida's exorbitant premiums, but also safer highways.
Ex-New Yorker. Far as state inspection, nothing is perfect. Brake inspection for example. I says, they only need inspect one brake. On a car with front discs and rear drums they simply look through the wheel at the front brake. I asked them to inspect the rear and they told me they were fine. They were NOT. People assume it is inspected-it is fine. Stuff like tires. You are told you need tires. If you don't buy from them at INFLATED prices they will charge you for another inspection.

Far as drivers. Florida has been cited for having the worst drivers in the nation.

Insurance costs? You can reduce your insurance cost by increasing your deductible-self insuring part of the risk. For me the most outrageous, insurance is your paying for uninsured people-uninsured motorist insurance-IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE.

Most issues are covered by REALITY. Life is not fair.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
heard the subject of annual Golf Cart Safety Inspections arise in a couple of repair shops lately... Some valid points of excessive speed, wheel alignments, worn steering component's, and owner added accessories that have blinded oncoming cart drivers. I support this Program,if it will decrease our annual cart insurance premium.. not sure of how this will be enforced! thoughts?
Not going to happen. Only affects less than 1% of the population and even if a cart is/was defective what are the odds that a defective cart could cause bad injuries or a death. Our cart premium is +/- $200. 10% reduction = a $20 saving and no guarantee there will be a savings
Old 05-07-2024, 11:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I support regulations for things that affect people OTHER than whoever the regulation was designed for. In other words -

Your golf cart lights might be perfect for you, to see when you drive at night. But if they're positioned such that they blind anyone coming toward you, and causes THEM to get into an accident, then a regulation needs to be made to set some kind of standard, or a standard range.

No greater than X brightness, no less than Y brightness, and must not be aimed more than Z feet above the ground. I don't care if there are "safety inspections" or not. But as long as there's the rule saying "you need to set your lights/speed this way" at least there's some accountability if someone causes an accident by not complying with the rule.

Just like the speed limit requirements for golf carts. You won't see annual tests to make sure your golf cart can't go faster than 20mph. It's still a rule though. If you cause an accident by going excessively fast, you can be held accountable. Without that rule, you can't be held accountable.

So I'm fine with more regulations and enforcement. I don't care one way or another about annual safety tests. As long as we know what the rules ARE, we can follow them or break them at our own risk, and be held accountable when our choices cause harm to someone else.
Regulation that affects a lot less than 1% of the population and how much can it help. Most cart accident and car accidents are driver error. Imagine living in a more rural area and having a required inspection. Person would need to transport cart to be inspected. Florida did this with cars 30+ years ago and inspections did not work
Old 05-07-2024, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,533 Posts

Golf carts are NOT required to have insurance, just like motorcycles are not required to have accident insurance. There is NO annual vehicle inspections required in Florida. There is NO requirement for seat belts in golf carts in Florida and there is no requirement for helmets in Florida for motorcyclists. Some folks believe that it's a matter of common sense as to whether or not you operate a safe vehicle and or wear safety devices, AND whether or not you have insurance.
I am NOT a fan of gov. regulation and find that normally the folks that benefit the most are those making money due to "rules."
On the other hand, some insurance companies give discounts for driver safety course completion. Some give discounts for folks with less driving violations and some even have small devices that connect to vehicles to record your driving practices and give you a discount for using them.
Mandates---NO!
Old 05-07-2024, 12:10 PM

NY requires brake inspections too? Bet you’re glad to be free of all that.

Tags
cart, annual, safety, inspections, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.