Any experience with the new Yamaha AC Electric cart

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Default Any experience with the new Yamaha AC Electric cart

Looking for a new electric cart and was told to stay away from Yamaha previously. Thy have the new AC electric cart but have not heard any comments about and the dealers don't seem to be pushing it.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 AM

They have a 6.7 hp motor,Club Car has a 3.5 hp, ParCar have a 19 hp motor.Do the math. A/C or D/C, horsepower is horsepower.Yamaha and Club Car have 6-8 volt batteries,ParCar has 8-6 volt batteries.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Club Car has been the leader in electric golf cart sales for decades. Their aluminum frame construction makes the cart lighter thereby using less battery power.

The Villages is an unusual place in that electric carts outsell gas by a huge margin nationwide and Club Car has the largest market share of any golf cart company.

Here for some reason gas carts sell equally well as electrics and Yamaha has the most market share.

I know people that love their Par Cars but I've been told by several owners that when the break down, it is very difficult for event he dealer to get parts and repairs take a long time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

I was told not to get a par car because they couldn't get under some u dear passes because of their height.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
I was told not to get a par car because they couldn't get under some u dear passes because of their height.
I believe that's only if you have a tall lift kit installed. One of my neighbors has this problem, but he has a Club Car that has been modified with a six or seven inch lift kit and 12 inch wheels.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
They have a 6.7 hp motor,Club Car has a 3.5 hp, ParCar have a 19 hp motor.Do the math. A/C or D/C, horsepower is horsepower.Yamaha and Club Car have 6-8 volt batteries,ParCar has 8-6 volt batteries.
I don't think Par Car has a 19 hp electric motor.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
That's why I got standard size tires for my Parcar and have not had any problems with tunnels.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I don't think Par Car has a 19 hp electric motor.

Villages Par Car Dealer website says 17 HP.

Columbia ParCar Florida | Where design and technology come together.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

I went to your referenced website, and I did see the 17 hp claim. I just don't believe it. I owned a Par Car, and it had a 3.5 hp motor with 8-6 volt batteries. I don't know of any golf carts with a 17 hp electric motor. Almost all are 3.5 hp. Although, maybe it is an AC motor...

Last edited by outlaw; 08-24-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Sage

17 HP electric does seem outa line.

How much extension cord do you get with a AC electric cart?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Sage

The 17 HP may turn out to be a "peak" number (a number under load that cannot be sustained). The "sustainable" horsepower number is typically much less.

Regardless, it really doesn't matter. Any of the electric carts should be able to maintain 20 mph. I would be more concerned about the range.

Quote:

Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Here for some reason gas carts sell equally well as electrics and Yamaha has the most market share.
Wouldn't you think this is a bit of an under statement as far as gas cart sales in the Villages ?
Old 08-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Email Reported As Spam

My repair guy worked directly for Club Car at one time. He favors the Club Car DS Series for its durability repairability and space; albeit since he repairs all carts he stays silent on other make/models.

I'll venture a guess that better than 50% of the carts driven here are gas. It may be upward of 70%
Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Wouldn't you think this is a bit of an under statement as far as gas cart sales in the Villages ?
Only for the Yamaha dealer.

As I drive around The Villages I see just as many if not more electric carts. Don't forget, we have one Yamaha dealer with three locations who is now also selling Club Car.

Then we have a Club Car dealer just south of us on 27/441, a Par Car dealer just past that and EX Go Dealer. We also have Tomberlin and a few other minor brands. We also have several used cart dealers.

Gas carts are Yamaha's specialty. That's why the dealer tells you that 90% of the carts that they sell are gas. All of the other dealers will sell far more electric than gas.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
17 HP electric does seem outa line.

How much extension cord do you get with a AC electric cart?

Carts with AC motors have a convertor that convertors DC battery power into AC power.

Closed Thread

Tags
cart, electric, yamaha, comments, heard, pushing, dealers, stay, experience, previously, told, thy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.