Battery (Summer) Storage

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Default Battery (Summer) Storage

We are leaving for 3 - 4 months for the summer and I recently purchased a Heavy Duty 110 Volt "Timer" so that every 24 hours the "Timer" would come on and start the batter charger that I continually have plugged up to my electric cart.

Now after reading on the Internet that "overcharging" as well as (summer/garage) heat can do severe damage to batterys I am again wondering whats best. Now I am thinking of "disconnecting" each batterry until I return.

Any ideas as to what's the best way to store them for the couple months we will be gone? Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Every mechanic I've talked to says leave 'em plugged in. The cart should be driven around the block once a week to keep the tires in shape. The chargeer should be disconnected from the wall and cart during severe thunder storms. So, if you don't have someone checking your home, I'd suggest you leave it unplugged during the summer because of the hurricane season.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM

You are better off disconnecting the batteries so there is no current draw from the electronics. When you return there should be enough voltage then to recharge them with your charger. All the chargers use the battery voltage from the cart to operate their electronics and relay. So if the batteries are dead in the cart the charger will not start. This is what I did with my electric cart. Before charging you should check the water level and make sure the plates are covered. After charging is complete then add the water to bring the level up to the normal. Never add the water to top them off before charging. Charging heats up the batteries and they will then overflow.

You can jack the cart up onto blocks if you wish this will keep the tires from getting a flat spot.

I would be veery hesitant to leave the cart plugged in. There is too much that can go wrong. There have been a few garage fires started from electric carts. Batteries when charging create hydrogen gas and that then becomes trapped under the seat. It only takes a small spark.

I did work as a mechanic for the Villages on their golf carts.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 PM

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done the disconnect approach. I use it on my car when I leave it for extended periods of time and it works fine. Most golf cart maintenance websites I've seen don't recommend it....but some of them also don't recommend leaving the charger connected and plugged in either. The Trojan website says that their batteries lose about 4% of their charge per week at 80 degrees F. That means that leaving them in a garage at up to 90 F for 5 months would probably sap most of the charge. I'd hate to have to bring them into the house when leaving for the summer.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ideal situation would be to fully charge your golf cart before you leave. Disconnect charger from wall and golf cart adn if you have a Club Car turn the switch under the seat to TOW..(the two options are run and tow....pick tow). Then who ever is watching your house have them once a month or every other month charge the cart back up, turn switch to RUN and take it for a quick drive for the sake of the tires. Leave it charged for a night and then disconnect everything and turn the switch back to TOW.

With Club Car there is no need to leave the charger connected to the battery and as others have said that would potentially be dangerous. There is also no need to disconnect the cables...just throw the switch to TOW for any length of storage or non-use.

Now all you need to find is a kind and trustworthy neighbor!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Ideal situation would be to fully charge your golf cart before you leave. Disconnect charger from wall and golf cart adn if you have a Club Car turn the switch under the seat to TOW..(the two options are run and tow....pick tow). Then who ever is watching your house have them once a month or every other month charge the cart back up, turn switch to RUN and take it for a quick drive for the sake of the tires. Leave it charged for a night and then disconnect everything and turn the switch back to TOW.

With Club Car there is no need to leave the charger connected to the battery and as others have said that would potentially be dangerous. There is also no need to disconnect the cables...just throw the switch to TOW for any length of storage or non-use.

Now all you need to find is a kind and trustworthy neighbor!
The newer carts with the tow switch this is a good suggestion and disconnect the charger from the wall and the cart. Some of the reasons to still disconnect the batteries would be if you have a radio(the memory draws current) If you have a electronic speedometer that is connected to the batteries, and the Yamaha brake light timer will draw current if the brakes are locked in park. The Yamaha brake light timer will also draw down a gas carts battery if the brakes are locked on in PARK. The brake light does time out and go out, however the timer that turns off the brake lights is still drawing current. The unfortunate thing for all these accessories is they are usually only connected to just two of the batteries, this will draw these two batteries down even if the tow switch is turned to "TOW" If you do NOT have any of these accessories then the TOW switch is a good idea.

The idea of a trustworthy neighbor is probably the best suggestion for a electric cart.

I have gas carts and disconnect the gas line and run the engine until it quits, this runs all the gas out of the carb. I then disconnect the battery because I have a radio. I do not put Stable or anything in the gas, I do make sure the tank is low. When I come back I reconnect the gas line, connect the battery and go the the gas station to fill the tank. I have done this for 8 years without any problems. I leave for 4 to 5 months.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Default Need new batteries?

I recently had my golf cart batteries replaced by The Battery Boys. Their price was as low as I've seen any place and their service was prompt. They took care to clean the cables and did a nice neat job. Remember, If you do it yourself each battery weighs about 65-70 pounds and you better remember how the cables are connected or you will spend more $$$ replacing lights and horns etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Electric carts

When I'm going to be gone for approx Three Months..........I just put on a full charge ,top off the water , and disconnect the ground wire ....also unplug the charger's ( I have two electric carts)
When I return I just connect the cable , charge them up and go ......haven't had any problems in 7 years......

Never leave chargers plugged in , to many house fires have started this way..............for what its worth , I have been told its not necessary to disconnect the ground wire,........But I do it anyway .......

good luck fumar

Last edited by The Great Fumar; 06-26-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.