Blue Lights on Carts

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2023, 05:16 PM
Default Blue Lights on Carts

I know this has been discussed in the past, but just wondering if the law has been changed regarding blue lights. In the past week I've seen several carts with blue LED accent lights. One of them additionally had them on the under carriage resulting in a blue hue around the entire cart. Is this now legal?
Old 06-19-2023, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I know this has been discussed in the past, but just wondering if the law has been changed regarding blue lights. In the past week I've seen several carts with blue LED accent lights. One of them additionally had them on the under carriage resulting in a blue hue around the entire cart. Is this now legal?
When was it not legal?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-19-2023, 05:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
When was it not legal?

316.2397 Certain lights prohibited; exceptions.—
(1) No person shall drive or move or cause to be moved any vehicle or equipment upon any highway within this state with any lamp or device thereon showing or displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles hereinafter provided.
(2) It is expressly prohibited for any vehicle or equipment, except police vehicles, to show or display blue lights. However, vehicles owned, operated, or leased by the Department of Corrections or any county correctional agency may show or display blue lights when responding to emergencies.

Means you might be good on the MMP's but not on a public street.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
316.2397 Certain lights prohibited

OMG

There is no way a "Copper" is going to pull me over because I have LED's under my golf cart because it's red or blue or green, or yellow.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
(1) No person shall drive or move or cause to be moved any vehicle or equipment upon any highway within this state with any lamp or device thereon showing or displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles hereinafter provided.
(2) It is expressly prohibited for any vehicle or equipment, except police vehicles, to show or display blue lights. However, vehicles owned, operated, or leased by the Department of Corrections or any county correctional agency may show or display blue lights when responding to emergencies.

Thanks.

Fair enough but I should have also asked if these were blue headlights or the bluish tint that some lights have.

Either way, as dewilso pointed out, I’m not too worried about being stopped.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-19-2023, 06:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I think this guy would have gotten the ticket last year.

Default Wannabe Golf Cart Cop
Does anyone have any knowledge or have experienced anything like my ride home from Brownwood Square last Thursday night.
Heading back south to the Monarch Grove area in my golf cart I was approached in the dark by a assclown in a golf cart with blue and red flashing lights from behind, I was the third cart in a line heading south, thinking I was getting “pulled over “ by a law enforcement officer I pulled off of the cart path, this impersonator passed me and continued to startle the two carts in front of me. He was clocking about 30mph at this point, I noticed that he had two sets of golf clubs on his cart, meaning that it was very doubtful he has any authority as a golf cart cop. Don’t know the exact statue of impersonating a police officer in Florida but I’m sure it’s pretty serious. I would like to know more information about this individual if any of you have experienced this before.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
I think this guy would have gotten the ticket last year.

Default Wannabe Golf Cart Cop
Does anyone have any knowledge or have experienced anything like my ride home from Brownwood Square last Thursday night.
Heading back south to the Monarch Grove area in my golf cart I was approached in the dark by a assclown in a golf cart with blue and red flashing lights from behind, I was the third cart in a line heading south, thinking I was getting “pulled over “ by a law enforcement officer I pulled off of the cart path, this impersonator passed me and continued to startle the two carts in front of me. He was clocking about 30mph at this point, I noticed that he had two sets of golf clubs on his cart, meaning that it was very doubtful he has any authority as a golf cart cop. Don’t know the exact statue of impersonating a police officer in Florida but I’m sure it’s pretty serious. I would like to know more information about this individual if any of you have experienced this before.
LOL! somebody's in trouble with the wife! Need to get home ASAP without the mistress
Old 06-20-2023, 01:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did you get his license plate---oh, wait---never mind.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-20-2023, 04:25 AM
Veteran member

where are the "coppers" when you need them? Lots and lots of speeders out there that should be ticketed.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
where are the "coppers" when you need them? Lots and lots of speeders out there that should be ticketed.
I agree about where are the cops. There are too many people going to slow driving a golf cart that need to be ticketed too. There are restrictions on our highways about going to slow, we need the same rules on our mmp’s
Old 06-20-2023, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

WOW Seriously? Let me interject this: For many years those that have lit their motorcycles have had the ground effect lights etc that are and can be blue or red. The exacting piece of the law is intended to eliminate 'the fakes' i.e., attempting to look like an emergency vehicle. This really means no light bar, no head lights (or add-ons).

Silly topics OMG.....
Old 06-20-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
I agree about where are the cops. There are too many people going to slow driving a golf cart that need to be ticketed too. There are restrictions on our highways about going to slow, we need the same rules on our mmp’s
Too slow in a golf cart?? Pedal to the medal some carts can only go 15 mph. Is it that hard to pass a slower cart when safe to do so? If speed is one's thing then drive a car.

There actually are some newer golf carts out there that have blinding white LED head lights. Some with spot light type LEDs mounted on the roof top, same thing and it is a bit much.

Why the deer hunting lights on a golf cart, blinding drivers of oncoming carts or cars? Common sense for safety out the window.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 06-20-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
No nothings changed. It’s just a golf cart. No big deal.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Many states, including Florida, have a statute that prohibit the display of red or blue lights toward the front of the vehicle. This is because emergency vehicles use those color lights. By the strict letter of the law, if someone has blue lights that project from the front of a cart operated on a public roadway, they can be ticketed, and forced to remove the lights.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Technically no, it is not legal when your cart is on the roadway (same road vehicles travel on). It is legal however on the multimotal paths. Now, is LEO going to stop every golf car in violation of this? Most likely not because they have other more important things to do however they could.
Closed Thread

Tags
blue, lights, carts, past, resulting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.