Blue Lights on Carts

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
I agree about where are the cops. There are too many people going to slow driving a golf cart that need to be ticketed too. There are restrictions on our highways about going to slow, we need the same rules on our mmp’s
😂😂😂
Old 06-20-2023, 01:55 PM

If you have the rows of little LED bulbs, maybe you could just alternate the red and blue bulbs every other one, so the undercarriage glows purple. Problem Solved! LOL

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 06-20-2023, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 918 Posts

the imaginations of TOTV villagers with too much time on their brains. .
Old 06-21-2023, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
I agree about where are the cops. There are too many people going to slow driving a golf cart that need to be ticketed too. There are restrictions on our highways about going to slow, we need the same rules on our mmp’s
Believe that golf cart speeds are restricted by laws. It is just that some of us feel entitled to break those rules and complain about others who don’t. Our cart goes a maximum of 20 mph unless going downhill where it zooms to 21 mph. Yeah wife and I feel like second class citizens when everyone passes us (with a dirty look and shake if the head) but I guess we’ll just keep the cart at the dealer regulated speed (at least for now. Who knows, maybe I might feel entitled someday)
Old 06-21-2023, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
316.2397 Certain lights prohibited; exceptions.—
(1) No person shall drive or move or cause to be moved any vehicle or equipment upon any highway within this state with any lamp or device thereon showing or displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles hereinafter provided.
(2) It is expressly prohibited for any vehicle or equipment, except police vehicles, to show or display blue lights. However, vehicles owned, operated, or leased by the Department of Corrections or any county correctional agency may show or display blue lights when responding to emergencies.

Means you might be good on the MMP's but not on a public street.
I’m a retired auto insurance claims guy - the first thing you need to do is define the word “vehicle” when interpreting laws/insurance policies. In insurance world, the word “vehicle” refers to a car or other vehicle that is licensed to be driven on public highways (this excludes most golf carts, mopeds, lots of farm equipment, etc.) That is why you need separate golf cart insurance outside your auto policy for coverage from loss.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
I guess we’ll just keep the cart at the dealer regulated speed (at least for now. Who knows, maybe I might feel entitled someday)
Don't go by "dealer regulated speed"....................TV has been cranking speeds up to 24 mph for years.

Don't sit too high on your horse, I assume you have exceeded the speed limit in your car over the years.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:53 AM

I've seen that cart. It's beyond illegal. No question about it.
If the cart driver causes any accident because someone did something because of seeing those lights, that cart driver is legally responsible for damages and injuries. His insurance would not cover him because he is deliberately doing something illegal. Lawyers will instead go after all his assets (house, savings, 401k, pension). The DA will take a very aggressive view against someone impersonating a police officer who caused an accident by those actions and could seek jail time.
That man is a fool.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
If the cart driver causes any accident because someone did something because of seeing those lights, that cart driver is legally responsible for damages and injuries. His insurance would not cover him because he is deliberately doing something illegal. Lawyers will instead go after all his assets (house, savings, 401k, pension). The DA will take a very aggressive view against someone impersonating a police officer who caused an accident by those actions and could seek jail time.
That man is a fool.
Although I don’t recommend his actions, I have to tell you as a retired insurance claims manager, that the insurance company would probably cover a loss. We used to say that we “insure stupidity”. To deny a loss, a very specific exclusion in the policy needs to be applied to the loss. There is an exclusion “for loss intentionally caused” - which is very hard to enforce, as you can’t be a mind-reader, knowing the person intentionally was trying to cause a loss(you usually need an eye witness for example - saying ahead of time “I’m going to ram my car into personal property”) we covered losses in which drivers were driving intentionally at night knowing their headlamps are out (this is not an intentional act, trying to cause a specific accident - though illegal, there is no clause in auto policy to deny). Trust me, most insurance companies do not want to have to defend a costly law suit - they will only deny coverage if it is crystal clear there is a valid exclusion that applies to loss- often times it was “gray” and the benefit was given to the insured and the loss was covered.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
That man is a fool.
Maker, you maker stuff up.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Better to have a blue light in your cart than a bud light
Old 06-21-2023, 01:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m a retired auto insurance claims guy - the first thing you need to do is define the word “vehicle” when interpreting laws/insurance policies. In insurance world, the word “vehicle” refers to a car or other vehicle that is licensed to be driven on public highways (this excludes most golf carts, mopeds, lots of farm equipment, etc.) That is why you need separate golf cart insurance outside your auto policy for coverage from loss.
Anything that legally travels on a public road is usually considered a "vehicle" under traffic codes.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Better to have a blue light in your cart than a bud light ������

Old 06-21-2023, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Anything that legally travels on a public road is usually considered a "vehicle" under traffic codes.
Usually yes - however you were also applying to insurance, which does not have the same definitions.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Usually yes - however you were also applying to insurance, which does not have the same definitions.
I didn't apply anything to insurance. I posted the law.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:10 PM
Default Blue Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I know this has been discussed in the past, but just wondering if the law has been changed regarding blue lights. In the past week I've seen several carts with blue LED accent lights. One of them additionally had them on the under carriage resulting in a blue hue around the entire cart. Is this now legal?
I believe the Law describes a flashing or strobe light … not necessarily a fixed light. Also the multi-modal pathways would be considered private property…the roadway would be public.
Closed Thread

Tags
blue, lights, carts, past, resulting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.