Buying a used golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Default Buying a used golf cart

My search didn't show this question being asked before, but it probably has so a link to that thread would be appreciated.

My wife and I want to buy a used golf cart but know little about them

What sort of things should we be aware of?

Obviously the batteries are a key factor - at what age would they need to be replaced?

What about rust in the chassis - is that a problem - what is the earliest year golf cart we should consider?

We want something reliable, but don't need it shiny and new :-)

Thank you
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
My search didn't show this question being asked before, but it probably has so a link to that thread would be appreciated.

My wife and I want to buy a used golf cart but know little about them

What sort of things should we be aware of?

Obviously the batteries are a key factor - at what age would they need to be replaced?

What about rust in the chassis - is that a problem - what is the earliest year golf cart we should consider?

We want something reliable, but don't need it shiny and new :-)

Thank you
We bought a 2006 reconditioned Yamaha gas cart from The Villages Golf Carts. When they take in a golf cart in trade, they send the used cart to their shop and completely strip it down to the frame and recondition everything, right up to putting in new seat coverings. We are most pleased with ours and recommend them highly.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM

You don't mention how much you want to spend. The Villages golf cart store sells their older trade-ins to Jim Followell and he fixes them up for re-sale. You can find out more about him by searching this forum. We recently bought one from a private owner that was listed in the Daily Sun and was recomended by Jim.We bought a 2002 that was re-conditioned in 05 and are quite happy with it. Good luck
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
Rust is a huge factor. It will ruin your driveway and garage. When the cart gets wet the rust dissolves, drips off the car and stains whatever is underneath.

I bought a used cart without realizing the rust problems. In particular, look for rusted battery trays. Maybe take a mirror with you when you look at cars so you can get a peek underneath. Also, look at where the car is parked to see if you see any rust stains (or pads that cover them up).

I don't think I would buy another used cart from a private party, particularly if you don't have some expertise in evaluating the cart. If I was going to do it again, and wanted an inexpensive cart, I would go with one of the used cart dealers on 441, and just make sure that you get at least a 90 day cart exchange if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have had good success buying used carts. You can usually tell how well a cart has been taken care of by how well it looks. But lift the seat, look at the batteries or engine. Take it for a test drive. Feel the steering, check the sunbrella, zippers, tires, windshield. If electric, how old are the batteries? If gas, check the bottom of the engine. Any fluid leaks? Check the oil. Dirty or clean? Any strange sounds or smells. How do the brakes work? Any pull when braking? Any tire bounce when driving? Almost any repair is less then $500. There are a couple exceptions to that with the engine and drive train, but if the cart runs well, handles well, probably a low risk. If the batteries are old in an electric cart, even a complete new set is only around $650. Rust on the carriage may be a problem, but a good cleaning, pressure washing and a can of Rustolem will usually solve all but the worst cases of that. Does the cart drive at 20 mph? 14 mph means no high speed gears. Take it for a ride. Is everyone passing you? Why is the owner selling?

I think in most cases you are safe in buying a used cart from a private party and get a decent deal. Just look it over, use common sense, and if you have to spend a few bucks to bring it to your standards, so what. I have found most home owners in TV are honest and will not try to cheat you.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Sage

One suggestion is go to a couple of local dealers to check out carts. As an example, spend a little time at The Villages cart store (you never know, you may like new), they are very nice and will take you through what they offer. Drive a gas, drive an electric, ask questions, why gas why electric, what are upgrades and what are they worth, etc. Feel what the carts drive like, which upgrades would you like, etc.

Now you are in a position to make up a list for you, e.g., a list of the things you must have in a cart, would like to have, etc. (this would actually be an interesting thread )

Armed with your list, you can look at new and used for the best cart for you.

Your list will be different than others. My list got me this cart for $1000, so I may not be the best one to ask

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

It did have a roof and full enclosure before I started deconstruction .
Old 01-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

But where is see the 389 short block your putting in it? Looks like a serious project. Post picture as you work toward the finished product.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Sage
Default My project as it relates to the original question

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
But where is see the 389 short block your putting in it? Looks like a serious project. Post picture as you work toward the finished product.
Will do. I have another thread somewhere on this I was planning to update.

As it relates to original question in this thread, one of MY must haves in an electric cart is better than average range. IMO more batteries makes a difference. (8) 6 volt batteries will have more range on a charge than than (6) 8 volt batteries and I will not even talk about 4 12 v batteries .

When I buy a used cart it either must have 8 6 volt batteries or must have the space under the body that I can upgrade, like the Club Car in my picture.

I bought my 2002 Club car with DEAD batteries which was perfect for me as I did not want the 6 8 volt batteries and I now have it ready to go to the welder to put in rails to hold the additional 2 batteries. I stripped everything off the frame so I could stick in in my SUV instead of paying the welder to come get it

The next thing high up on my list of things I want in MY cart is the ability to go uphill without losing too much speed. Part of my project is to build my Club Car to go up hills like an EZGO RXV without compromising too much on the range, I think I can, but time will tell, the goal is 40 - 45 miles per charge.

BTW, my other cart (in one piece and runs ) is a 2000 Par Car (8 T105s).
Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Default Good advice

Many thanks, everyone. for your helpful posts
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 PM

You might want to check out http://www.thegolfcartguide.com as they have articles on buying golf carts and they have new and used listings for golf carts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.